the best thing apple could do this morning

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
announce a limited supply run of a fair trade iphone 5. Possibly made in the u.s., or atleast whoever works on these are paid american wages. Limited supply, so that rich people who are socially conscious can get one, without apple having too much overstocked that nobody is going to buy.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Made in the US. Are you dreaming? Never happen. US manufacturing costs, driven by big labor, are so far our if line with the rest of the world, no one could afford to purchase...

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
announce a limited supply run of a fair trade iphone 5. Possibly made in the u.s., or atleast whoever works on these are paid american wages. Limited supply, so that rich people who are socially conscious can get one, without apple having too much overstocked that nobody is going to buy.

Do you want your iPhone 5 to cost $2000 and take 6 months to become available to you?

I get the humanitarian approach but it would be extremely detrimental to Apple to try and compete with the others using that kind of construction method... Also, Foxconn is one of the absolute best factories for manufacturing this type of goods in the world.

And just so we don't need to go over this again, the suicide rate at Foxconn is (and always has been) lower than the overall suicide rate of the united states. The media can sensationalize so many things, and they never fail to prevent you from putting things in perspective.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah. Same phone for thousands of dollars, simultaniously released with the subsidized phone. Maybe with a fair trade simbol etched into the back.

guess I have to spell everything out for you guys.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
No, we all get it. It is a horrible idea, would never happen, and if any company even attempted it they would be committing financial suicide.

You should really take an ECON101 course before giving the most successful company in the last decade product advice.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've often wondered if companies like Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Intel, AMD-ATI, HTC, etc... ever thought about the American economy when it hands out those sweet manufacturing contracts to Asian plants, who employ people at horrible pay rates, no benefits and lousy working conditions. (cough Foxconn cough)

Then I'm reminded that they are businesses and they don't give a rat's ass about the American economy.

All they care about is their stock price and their quarterly profits.

They set up their HQ in the states and outsource EVERYTHING manufacturing-based to the cheaper countries, helping THEIR economies despite ours.

Just something to think about when you plunk down a couple hundred dollars for your tablets, smartphones and portable music devices.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I've often wondered if companies like Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Intel, AMD-ATI, HTC, etc... ever thought about the American economy when it hands out those sweet manufacturing contracts to Asian plants, who employ people at horrible pay rates, no benefits and lousy working conditions. (cough Foxconn cough)

Then I'm reminded that they are businesses and they don't give a rat's ass about the American economy.

All they care about is their stock price and their quarterly profits.

They set up their HQ in the states and outsource EVERYTHING manufacturing-based to the cheaper countries, helping THEIR economies despite ours.

Just something to think about when you plunk down a couple hundred dollars for your tablets, smartphones and portable music devices.

Same type of reasoning could be used for the unions and any other business groups for that matter, including consumers.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

You really don't know anything about the world outside of the US do you. So sad.

Foxcon is one of the most respected employers in China, and has literally thousands of applicants they have to turn away every year because they are such a horrible employer...

Get a grip and quit sounding like a stupid, spoiled American.

Travel over here and see what a difference quality employers like Foxcon are making in the real world.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
it would make even more brand loyalty, and they can affordto burn some cash. I didn't specify how many they would make.

The 10 customers who would pay for these phones on principle are not worth the bother.

I assume you would be first in line for a $3000 iPhone built in the US with union labor and oh yeah, where would the components all come from....since none of the parts are made in the US either...

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Same type of reasoning could be used for the unions and any other business groups for that matter, including consumers.

We're not talking about any other business - were talking about Apple, the American Economy and the lack of good manufacturing jobs in the USA due to outsourcing.

(Not trying to pick on Apple exclusively here, BTW. I did point out all the other big Tech giants doing the same thing. Just saying, this is an Apple-focused site and that's why it's being brought up.)

Why not throw a bone to the country making it possible for you to reap all these profits?

I'm surprised the government watchdog groups haven't started going after this stuff more. But then, these same Tech giants are giving people like President Obama free iPads and other perks/funding etc... to make sure they're allowed to keep outsourcing without any sort of deterring penalty.

[Steve Jobs PERSONALLY gave President Obama a free iPad before it was released to the public]

Why not some tax breaks/bonuses for opening up shop INSIDE the USA for once? Payroll tax cuts, etc...? You want to create jobs in the USA without losing money on US salaries? Well, that's what I would do right there. Tell Apple, Microsoft, etc... to set up some shops HERE and toss them some sweet incentives for doing so. (Not that they even NEED these perks, but at least you're helping your own economy out and preserving your bottom line)

(BTW - Stinks you have to bribe businesses to do this, but that's what it has come to these days.)

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

And let's don't forget the current keepers of the economy - Obama and TurboTax Tim Geitner. Their policies (as well as the Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke) are driving the American economy further into the ground. And the unions aren't helping... but let's be sure to blame the "greedy" companies.

BTW, how's your 401K looking these days?

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It's a double-edged sword.

If Apple contracts US-based manufacturing plants to make iPhones, they'll lose money because the US-based plants will want bigger contracts to cover the salaries of it's US-based workers, who make more money (even at minimum wage) than the foreign workers and get more benefits.

So what's the incentive to get Apple to set up shops here? You want the government to relax it's industry standards and regulations? You want to lower minimum wage and cut benefits for American workers? You want to make working conditions more hazardous for American workers so the big companies save some money on the mandatory safety-regulation expenditures? THIS stuff is precisely WHY Unions exist in the first place.

That's what I'm hearing from the conservative base - let businesses trample it's own workers to make profits.

What needs to happen are two things:

1. CLOSE THE DOOR to outsourcing. You can't outsource if it's illegal to do it. Tell Apple to set up shop here or MOVE their "motherbase" to China. (Have fun setting up shop and doing international business over there.)

2. Sweeten the pot for these companies to stay home, WITHOUT compromising American working standards. Tell the government to provide MAJOR Tax Breaks and Payroll Tax cuts for huge companies, like Apple, to hire US workers and build US plants. Cover the American salaries with lower taxes. That's the trade-off. You lower unemployment and get taxes back through the paychecks of the newly working American workforce.

People cry they don't want Government interference - at the same time they blame the government for not doing anything.

It's stupid. It's this agenda-driven Rush Limbaugh mentality that's holding the economy hostage.

Provide incentives, not compromises. That's how you plug the leak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW