New iPhone available 10/4? Verizon call centers giving ?unlimited overtime? Tuesday

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Verizon call centers giving 'unlimited overtime' Tuesday - Macgasm.net

So, I?ve been informed by several sources that Verizon Wireless call centers, or at least the ones here in Salt Lake City, will be offering ?unlimited overtime? this coming Tuesday. Why anyone in their right mind would extend their workday at a call center is beyond me, but it?s clear that Verizon is expecting something big to drop THAT DAY. I honestly was not expecting a product to drop on Tuesday, but just an announcement for something to come later that week/month. However, Verizon appears to be bracing themselves for a lot of orders and device activations.

As for what will drop that day, I?m officially predicting an iPhone 4S with spec bumps, less storage and the current iPhone 4 form factor AND an iPhone 5. The way I see it, Apple?s gotta get the current GSM device replaced by something with a decent antenna, but they?ll still want to keep something around for the $99 price point. Add that to the 4S device that was discovered in the iTunes beta, and it?s certain they?ll be keeping the 4′s design around in some way, but I hope to all holiness that the iPhone 5 comes with it, mostly for Joshua Schnell?s sake. He?ll do something crazy like switch to Android if his only Apple option is a spec-bumped iPhone 4, and we simply can?t have that?

what in hell is going on???

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I bet they are not going to release the phone/s on 10/4 but after the announcement the call centers will be flooded with questions about availability, pre-order, "I just got phone xyz can I exchange it", "I'm 3 days over my 30 day trial can I still exchange it", "I'm still in my 30 day trial but by release day I'll be over my 30 day trial", "If I just bought an iphone 4 can I get a refund to the discounted price", blah, blah, blah...

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I bet they are not going to release the phone/s on 10/4 but after the announcement the call centers will be flooded with questions about availability, pre-order, "I just got phone xyz can I exchange it", "I'm 3 days over my 30 day trial can I still exchange it", "I'm still in my 30 day trial but by release day I'll be over my 30 day trial", "If I just bought an iphone 4 can I get a refund to the discounted price", blah, blah, blah...

Based on previous experience with Verizon, I almost guarantee this is the most likely reason.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
kleenex.jpg

realdealio

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Why would they offer "unlimited overtime" in Salt Lake City of all places? That seems a little fantastic. That being said, I hope this is true in other places, I'll have some questions tomorrow

tedzone

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It's probably to handle the inbound call traffic the announcement will generate or as someone suggested above-- for preorders.
There are no more than 10 dealerships across Canada that order and sell the volume of phones that I do, and I can tell you I don't have iphone5 stock. not even close. the scu doesn't exist.
Now I AM in Canada so that may not be the case for you guys in the States but I'd bet the farm no one is stocking ip5 yet. Whether in Canada OR the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2