Reselling iPhone 5s on eBay on launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone remember/have any articles about how much iPhone 4s were selling for last year during the post-launch eBay rush?

I am thinking of buying 5 or 6 of them unlocked (bringing friends in case of limits), and I want to sell them right away on eBay. I'm just wondering about what price I should sell them at. I feel like iPhone 4s were going as high as $2000 last year in BuyItNow prices, but I don't remember exactly.

If anyone remembers or has any old articles, please let me know! :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
are you serious dude?? your asking for help to rip people off?

I am not ripping anyone off. Anyone who chooses to spend that much on an iPhone because they do not want to wait in line, or wait a month for availability, does so of their own accord.

Furthermore, there are many people who buy from countries where the iPhone 5 will not yet be available. In countries like Australia, there is usually a wait, and the high-end iPhone actually costs $1,100 after taxes.

Last edited:

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I live in Australia mate, i'd rather wait and buy one from the store than pay some seriously jacked up price to a douche like yourself. just sayin...

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
rofl... why is it OP fault that idiots are willing to pay more for a phone when they don't have to? If someone wanted to buy a 1 dollar candy from me... for 500 dollars... i'd tell him that it only cost a dollar at the store... but if he still insist to pay... ill take it. Doesn't make me a bad person... just makes the other person stupid. So why not back off OP and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I live in Australia mate, i'd rather wait and buy one from the store than pay some seriously jacked up price to a douche like yourself. just sayin...

As I've said, it is their choice. I am not trying to persuade anyone into anything they don't want to do, and I'm not trying to masquerade it as a great value.

The fact remains that thousands of people every year accept this and purchase their iPhones on eBay for up to $2,000. Why? Because they choose to. Why would I deny them that option if we can both benefit from it?

I don't have to justify myself to anyone, much less someone who simply resorts to name-calling and has absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation other than that.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't remember if they were quite that high but I assume like with any hot product release ebay prices will be very high soon after release.

Everyone should lay off Jellotime, if someone wants to spend that much on an iPhone so be it. I camped out for a PS3 years ago and resold it on ebay for $2000; $1400 for I think it was 32 hours of "work". That semester was so much more fun with that extra cash in my pocket. Blame the idiots who pay those prices.

I would start the bidding at at least twice what you pay for them. If you get more than one I would also set up maybe a 1 day auction and then a few 3 day auctions; or maybe all 1 days depending how how flooded ebay gets.

Last edited:

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
They were going for $700-800. It wouldn't surprise me if they do that again. Frankly if a person is willing to give that much, I don't see why they wouldn't just go to ATT or an Apple store and pay the $600 retail price. This of course is assuming both won't be sold out.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
They were going for $700-800. It wouldn't surprise me if they do that again. Frankly if a person is willing to give that much, I don't see why they wouldn't just go to ATT or an Apple store and pay the $600 retail price. This of course is assuming both won't be sold out.

There's absolutely no way people were buying iPhone 4 on eBay on launch day for its normal retail price. That would be ridiculous. Nobody would've camped out at all.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
There's absolutely no way people were buying iPhone 4 on eBay on launch day for its normal retail price. That would be ridiculous. Nobody would've camped out at all.

Maybe people were just a little smarter and realized they can get them cheaper from retail stores than risking a shady ebay situation.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Maybe people were just a little smarter and realized they can get them cheaper from retail stores than risking a shady ebay situation.

No. Lol... Every time a new iPhone is released, they sell for crazy amounts of money on eBay because they go out of stock in one day. That's how it works, every year. Nobody on eBay was selling their iPhone (BuyItNow) for $799 on eBay the day it came out. Unless they were an absolute idiot.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

It's really as simple as supply and demand.

The iPhone isn't the only thing. Video game consoles as well. Did you not see all the stories about people paying others to stand in line every morning for iPad 2's when it first came out so they could then turn around and resell them?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's really as simple as supply and demand.

The iPhone isn't the only thing. Video game consoles as well. Did you not see all the stories about people paying others to stand in line every morning for iPad 2's when it first came out so they could then turn around and resell them?

Apparently everyone on here doesn't understand the concept like you and I do! lol

Cheggy

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I am not ripping anyone off. Anyone who chooses to spend that much on an iPhone because they do not want to wait in line, or wait a month for availability, does so of their own accord.

Furthermore, there are many people who buy from countries where the iPhone 5 will not yet be available. In countries like Australia, there is usually a wait, and the high-end iPhone actually costs $1,100 after taxes.

Availability would be less of an issue if greedy people didn't buy them all and try to rip people off.

Just my opinion

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Availability would be less of an issue if greedy people didn't buy them all and try to rip people off.

Just my opinion

its not ripping people off...... if i sold them an iPhone 4 and said it was a 5... thats ripping them off... or if i sold them a phone that doesn't work but i said it did... thats would also be ripping them off.....

Its all about supply and demand.... i have the supply... and the people on ebay decide what the demand is.

Everyone needs to stop saying this is a bad thing to do lol... and realize its just a way to make extra cash... and people wouldn't spend the cash if they didn't 1) have it 2) want to...

Reactions: Jellotime91

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say the price is going to be subjective, you could likely get as little as $1k or as high as $5k depending what country you are shipping it to, availability and whether or not people are willing to pay that much.

I also do not see it as gouging or ripping people off, it is a consumer product with a supply and demand situation. Don't forget it in MSRP as in Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, you can always sell anything you own for more or less.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i just see it as a bunch of greedy people (ie: you who are thinking of doing this) taking advantage of others. I hope apple has a one person one phone policy or something similar just to F#*k your idea up.

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
i just see it as a bunch of greedy people (ie: you who are thinking of doing this) taking advantage of others. I hope apple has a one person one phone policy or something similar just to F#*k your idea up.

greedy little b@$t@rds.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So how much IS one allowed to profit when they sell something?? Isn't that kind of the idea? Are you saying that if YOU put something on eBay, for say $100 as a starting bid and people bid it up to $2,000 that you wouldn't take it?! I call BS! ;)

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So how much IS one allowed to profit when they sell something?? Isn't that kind of the idea? Are you saying that if YOU put something on eBay, for say $100 as a starting bid and people bid it up to $2,000 that you wouldn't take it?! I call BS! ;)

I'm not saying selling for profit is wrong what I'm saying is a douche like the one who started this thread deliberately buying up big to sell way over priced to make a huge profit from people that may not have camped out at the apple store is wrong. Maybe if said person didn't try to buy 10 iPhone's then someone later in the day or even the day after might have a chance at getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh