Set up from new or from backup?

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
With iOS5 just around the corner (YAY) I'm now finding myself watching the keynote and all those Youtube videos to remind myself of all the little things I've forgotten.

Now we will all obviously be backing our devices up before upgrading to iOS5 but what will do you when your device asks you what to do next...

... Setup as new so I can tweek all of those little settings one by one to make it perfect and get use to them?

... Restore from Backup where everything is as it was and just remember where to go to change the things I want/need to?

Personally i think I'll be setting the iPads up as new and the iPhones up from a backup (wirelessly I might add)

What will you be doing?

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean on every iOS update (3 to 4) or on the part updates (4.1 to 4.1.x)?

Cos the second would drive me loopy having to reset everything so often.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
every update. seems crazy, i know, but i have been used to doing it so often during my jailbreaking days that it really is not a big deal for me

i have done the same thing as well during the iOS 5 betas

does it really need to be done? probably not, but peace of mind goes a long way for me :)

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
does it really need to be done? probably not, but peace of mind goes a long way for me :)

I appreciate that, i am the same and would do the same if I had the patients.

Up until now I've backed up everything to Google (such as cal and contacts) but with iCloud I've got to decide if I am going to keep doing this and have 2 backups or just stick with iCloud since it is automatic anyway.

What do/will you do?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Up until now I've backed up everything to Google (such as cal and contacts) but with iCloud I've got to decide if I am going to keep doing this and have 2 backups or just stick with iCloud since it is automatic anyway.

What do/will you do?

I'm not going to use the "cloud" right away. Too much info that may be a security problem. I have a 1TB hard-drive that has served me well, and i'll stick with that for now.:)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

What do/will you do?

i sync with google as well. i have dabbled with iCloud, before the reset, it looks promising but like yourself i am on the fence

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
i think like many I will slowly migrate away from Google to iCloud but only after I am happy it is safe. May even do both, I've signed up so why not have it in 2 places!

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
i think like many I will slowly migrate away from Google to iCloud but only after I am happy it is safe. May even do both, I've signed up so why not have it in 2 places!

I'm still unsure of the security issue. iCloud will wait until i'm convinced that they can't be hacked into.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I always do a "reset all settings" then backup in iTunes, upgrade the OS, then restore from backup.

I'm not an advocate of the "set up as new" every single time. That might change with the new iCloud situation though, but we'll see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2