Is anyone considering the Samsung Galaxy SII instead?

What are you considering spending YOUR money on?

• iPhone

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy SII or Other Android

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Mango Phones

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here was considering a Samsung Galaxy SII instead of the next generation iPhone. Or, if anyone was gonna wait it out to see what the next generation iPhone looks like before making a decision.

It seems like in terms of performance the SGSII will be the benchmark to which all is compared(for right now). But the overall UI and App Store is something that Android can't compete with.... What do you guys think?

TomD

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
For me the choice is between integrated iTunes and integrated Flash.

iO5 will break the cord, removing the tether and equalizing most other functions.

The new iPhone hardware is the only unknown.

VegasTom

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is not getting it from what I keep hearing and I would never leave a carrier for a phone anyway but even if Vz got the Samsung phone I would still stick with the iPhone. Within a couple of months there will be a new Android based phone to top this and others. It's never ending. With that said, from what I've seen it looks like a great phone. I actually enjoy the competition between the companies. It pushes them to create better products for the consumer. I don't want one phone/company/carrier etc...to dominate and create a monopoly.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is not getting it from what I keep hearing and I would never leave a carrier for a phone anyway but even if Vz got the Samsung phone I would still stick with the iPhone. Within a couple of months there will be a new Android based phone to top this and others. It's never ending. With that said, from what I've seen it looks like a great phone. I actually enjoy the competition between the companies. It pushes them to create better products for the consumer. I don't want one phone/company/carrier etc...to dominate and create a monopoly.

I agree with you 100%. The competition eliminates any complacency by any one company.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple announces when the time comes. I hope the excitement and allure following this story translates in Tim Cook's launch to something Apple has been known to call "Magical." The anticipation to this point can only be likened to tantric sex in the way that when the announcements come there will be a collective blowing of mass iLoads all over the place.

We already know what we're getting with the SGSII in any form. It's a snappy highly advanced Android phone. The biggest issue for most people going to android would probably be how you're locked into the Apple Eco-System. You've purchased apps, songs, videos and books from their respective iApp and when you switch platforms there's no real user friendly easy way to move your music,movies or books over. To add to that fact, if you have a ton of apps you're SOL because you need to buy them all over again in the Android Marketplace.

decisions decisions........

::sigh::

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep, highly considering this phone.. We will see what Apple has to say about the iphone next week. I actually played with it at a Sprint Kiosk the other day.. What a phone..

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
buci1er
Your comment made me LMAO.. Tantric sex haha...

That's how I feel about android phones as well. And, as we've seen with the iPad and other apple devices, a crazier spec sheet does not translate into actual better performance. Apple is the master of hardware optimization via software.

And yeah, as much as I may like an android phone, I am not going to leave iOS now. It's been 3 years, and to me this ecosystem itself is a lot more valuable than some widgets and live wallpapers. There are plenty of cool apps like MadPad that will probably never come out on Android...

BUT! I will definitely be buying a new Android phone some time soon as well, but I might wait for a qHD one, cause it will be better for development.

Last edited:

Eric Gunther

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I have heard a lot of praise for the Samsung Galaxy S II and from my own standards it is a really cool phone, don't know about you guys. What do you people think?

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I have heard a lot of praise for the Samsung Galaxy S II and from my own standards it is a really cool phone, don't know about you guys. What do you people think?

I played with an International Version, the phone is snappy...REAL snappy. It's iPhone-esque in its snappy-ness. This is the only reason i'm even considering the phone at all.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
One thing I don't think many people realize is that there are multiple versions of the S2. It's not just the size of the screen. The European S2s are closer to stock Android, while the U.S. releases have more of Samsung's TouchWiz (btw, what a name! :eek:) UI.

Although Verizon may not carry a S2 variant, they will carry a Samsung phone with many of the same specs. I really don't understand how Samsung groups one of their phones into the "S2" family.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
One thing I don't think many people realize is that there are multiple versions of the S2. It's not just the size of the screen. The European S2s are closer to stock Android, while the U.S. releases have more of Samsung's TouchWiz (btw, what a name! :eek:) UI.

Although Verizon may not carry a S2 variant, they will carry a Samsung phone with many of the same specs. I really don't understand how Samsung groups one of their phones into the "S2" family.

Actually, the international version has MORE TouchWiz in it than the AT&T version. Not that I've been checking or anything....

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Nope not at all. But Samsung has created a great phone, no question about that.
I'm enjoying my iPhone 4 and plan to stick with the iOS platform.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Nope not at all. But Samsung has created a great phone, no question about that.
I'm enjoying my iPhone 4 and plan to stick with the iOS platform.

I jailbreak my iPhone and my iPhone 4 is everything I expected it to be and then some. I couldn't believe how awesome of a phone it is. However, with that said, I also think that the technology that's out there right now has surpassed the iPhone 4. The only thing keeping the iPhone 4 in the game is the fact that, as mentioned in an earlier post, the software optimization is KILLER.

I think that if the iPhone that's being released this year isn't a significant upgrade that I may hold off. But whether I buy one or not, it will still be the best selling iPhone ever. You have early adopters waiting, 3GS people waiting and first time android techies waiting. It'll be "magical"

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm waivering between the SGS2 and the new iPhone. I can't wait until the announcement next Tuesday so I can make my decision.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm waivering between the SGS2 and the new iPhone. I can't wait until the announcement next Tuesday so I can make my decision.

I almost don't think just seeing it will be enough, I imagine that i'd have to play with both.

The early adopter in me wants both...

sammyh85

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

My friend has the s2 and the battery life on it is terrible. Charging it over night is fine with me with the iPhone but he's charging it at lunchtime & sometimes teatime. That for me is a big no, iPhone 5 (or 4s) please

eyeseeyou

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd only seriously consider switching to an android phone if Apple somehow completely stops the possibility of jailbreaking.

I know with android you can do pretty much all of what you can do with a jailbroken iphone but I'm invested in the iOS ecosystem plus the whole "just works" functionality, great battery life and buttery smooth UI with a single core processor is like CRACK that is difficult to duplicate on the Android os.

I'm don't really care for complete customization and am somewhat interested in widgets so all the "new" features in iOS 5 should satisfy my need to jailbreak anyhow.

eyeseeyou

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually to add to my previous comment, I actually wouldn't mind a larger screen, 4" to be exact. 3.7" plus the premium cost to upgrade wouldn't be worth it to me.

dtizzle79

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I was very close to getting the SG2 on Sprint but I just couldn't do it based on the possibility of Sprint getting the iPhone. If Sprint does get the iPhone then I'll get that. I've been using iTunes for years and I own a iPad 2 so it just makes sense to have the iPhone as well.

realdealio

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I was anticipating getting the s2, until I heard no-go on verizon. Now I'm being strung along with Prime rumors, but I'm guessing the wait will be too long either way and I'll go iphone.

miggles209

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Definately considering the Galaxy S II but waiting for the iPhone announcement to make my decision between that and the new iPhone. I have an iPad 2 so I will still have access to all my iOS apps. Things I like about the S II are the large screen, widgets, speed, and the ability to customize without jailbreaking/rooting. Things I don't like are poor battery life next to iOS devices and apps that aren't as smooth or pretty as there iOS counterparts. It'll be a tough decision for me but I figure if I go android and decide it's not for me I'll be back for the iPhone 6!

Things I would love to see in the new iPhone: faster processor, more RAM, larger screen (3.7, 3.8, 4.0, 4.2, or 4.3! Any size just larger please!) and the advanced voice recognition Assistant rumors being true would definitely be a plus!

I look forward to my new phone within the next couple of weeks :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro