"cutting the cord" & PC-Free, truly?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I was doing a little deep thinking about the "cutting the cord" & PC-Free features of iOS5.

I love the way to setup a new iOS device without iTunes. The ability to view & download all prior purchases, Backup to iCloud, get calendars/emails/etc is really easy.

my question and point of discussion is Photos. Photo stream is nice, but seems to miss the boat, as its only a stream, and caps out at 1000 photos on the iOS devices, but you STILL need a "PC" (mac) to backup multiple thousand of photos. does it just seem like the PC-Free is all but photos?

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much. At least that's how I see it. And FWIW, the whole photos thing is the biggest weak point in the whole iTunes 10.5 beta thing (don't get me started on wireless sync which is a MAJOR fail).

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
For photos I highly recommend an app called Photosync.

The whole computer-less thing is a little deceptive anyway, since you still need the computer to perform the wireless syncing. It's still not a sync-free system.

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Photo stream is only limited to 1000 pictures on your iOS device, but you can save any number of images from the photo stream.

Also keep in mind that with the new version of iPhoto, you're going to be downloading and keeping every photo on your photo stream anyway.

Basically the way Apple is going about it is that you CAN cut the cord if you REALLY want, but it's far more intelligent to keep using the CPU to back up, organize, and sync your iOS devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
technically, you don't actually need to wireless sync.

Backup can be done thru iCloud
Updates can be done via the App Store App
the device can download new books/movies/audio with the new settings

its just the photos.. ugh... i'll take a look at photo sync.. thanks for the info!

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
technically, you don't actually need to wireless sync.

Backup can be done thru iCloud
Updates can be done via the App Store App
the device can download new books/movies/audio with the new settings

its just the photos.. ugh... i'll take a look at photo sync.. thanks for the info!

I mean, technically you don't need to sync your photos either, you just have to save them to the camera roll, then you can put them in an album. I'm not sure if imported photos go to photo stream on iPhoto, but if they don't then that would be the only thing you'd need to sync for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77