Flash content viewable on iPhone 5

Qfanvnaa

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I read an article, well several that said some flash content well be viewable on iOS devices. The iOS devices will not have flash, but Adobe will allow some flash content to be viewed through HTML5.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There's Flash, and then there's Flash. The kind that you see on sites like jibjab will never be useable on iOS. The kind used for video will be viewable through HTML5. Basically, it means - no Flash.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I read an article, well several that said some flash content well be viewable on iOS devices. The iOS devices will not have flash, but Adobe will allow some flash content to be viewed through HTML5.

I think the recent Adobe deal is that they are going to allow websites to code video's so that they play through HTML5, so it looks like it's up to each website to make the changes. So it'll still be hit and miss, I really wish Apple and Adobe would come up with a real solution instead of ignoring eachother..

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
With Windows 8 not showing flash on their mobile platforms either, it's no longer just an Apple and Adobe issue.

Flash is a resource pig. It's dead...

-t

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
With Windows 8 not showing flash on their mobile platforms either, it's no longer just an Apple and Adobe issue.

Flash is a resource pig. It's dead...

-t

It's far from dead. Whether that is good or bad is simply a matter of opinion. Last I heard though Flash is coming to Windows Phone as well as Blackberry. That just leaves iOS the only mobile OS without Flash.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Read the Windows 8 announcement on Flash again. No plans for support on ARM processors ever, and limited support on Intel mobile.

Adobe has a dying pig on their hands and they know it. Their recent product launch that let's content providers convert Flash to HTML 5 on the fly through a server add on is a precursor to their next announcement of an HTML 5 development environment to replace Flash completely.

-t

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
"Flash coming to iPhone" .....not exactly.

I've had to explain this to a few people recently, thanks to misleading headlines.

Last edited:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
This isn't flash coming to iPhone at all.. It's selected flash content being converted to HTML5.
lol.
I know that. You know that. Most of the people who come here know that.
But what people 'hear' is "Flash is coming to the iPhone", which they come to tell me, knowing that I'm intersested in iPhone and cell phone stuff.

I smile and patiently explain it to them.
They don't know I follow a dozen different blogs daily. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Read the Windows 8 announcement on Flash again. No plans for support on ARM processors ever, and limited support on Intel mobile.

Adobe has a dying pig on their hands and they know it. Their recent product launch that let's content providers convert Flash to HTML 5 on the fly through a server add on is a precursor to their next announcement of an HTML 5 development environment to replace Flash completely.

-t

I'm aware of the Windows 8 announcement but I said Windows Phone and according to Adobe they are working on it. Whether it will happen or not is anyone's guess. It could end up exactly how they were working on it for iOS back in the day. Dead end.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's far from dead. Whether that is good or bad is simply a matter of opinion. Last I heard though Flash is coming to Windows Phone as well as Blackberry. That just leaves iOS the only mobile OS without Flash.
Isn't Windows 8 going to replace Windows Phone 7? Rumors about Flash on WP7 have been floating for about a year. On May 24th Microsoft had their "Mango" (WP7.5) Preview:
Flash support: IE 9 Mobile doesn?t support plug-ins, but Microsoft is seemingly not ruling out Flash support in the future (for some reason). A spokesperson said, re: Flash: ?(T)here?s nothing new on this front. Adobe and Microsoft have a strong history of partnership and continue to work together to deliver Flash technology available in the market today to all Windows Mobile 6.5-based Windows Phones available now and in the future.?
Source.
Translate that if you can. The truth is Flash does not work well on any mobile platform. It's not going to die anytime soon because it'll still be supported on desktops & laptops. But it's effectively "dead" (quickly dying) on mobile devices.

Question for any Android users here: Can you tell if you hit a Flash site or do most sites identify you as a mobile user and shunt you to the HTML version? I vaguely recall reading that you get the option to load or ignore a Flash site. But maybe that was some sort of hack?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm aware of the Windows 8 announcement but I said Windows Phone and according to Adobe they are working on it. Whether it will happen or not is anyone's guess. It could end up exactly how they were working on it for iOS back in the day. Dead end.
Adobe also said they are working on flash for iOS.

Microsoft is heavily copying Apple's strategy with windows phone so as long as Apple rejects flash, Microsoft will do the same.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2