No new design for Iphone 5 (aka iPhone 4S)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
While those things are good additions, they are not what most people were looking for, the notification system was the biggest mess, and yet they still only managed to halfway fix it, you'll still need to jailbreak to get a status bar icon! The cloud offers me nothing, I have 1 gig of music on my phone, so it's a gimmick, iMessage is ok, but I have unlimited texting, so again it's of no benefit. Still no Facetime over 3G, I've been doing it for over a year thanks to the jailbreak devs:D If the focus was on the software side, that's pretty bad, they are playing catch-up with other phones and yet they still didn't get it right.

Meanwhile other companies are pumping out a dozen phones or more every year, in all shapes and sizes, with more software features, yet you're telling me the most valuable company on Earth can't build one phone and one OS update every year? I don't buy that because it's utter nonsense, the only thing that could stop Apple is they are choosing not to.

While there is truth to that, after spending time with some of my friends "inferior" Android phones, that are much faster, and offer a far better "user experience", than the locked down iPhone, I wonder if that's just marketing spin.

What exactly is there to be excited about with iOS 5? The only things that interest me is the notification system and Reminders, I know the jailbreak devs will fix the flaws of the notification system, but then I have had a superior notification system on my iPhone for a couple years now.

The UI is still exactly as it was in 07, when you look at OS 1 and OS 5 they look identical, and just like a car that hasn't be re-designed in ten years, it looks and feels stale, eventually the average consumer is going to catch on (which I personally feel they already have going by how many people I know that have left the iPhone).

And those people would probably still be happy with a RAZR, I believe Apple should strive to be the best, and that's how the iPhone became #1, never updating the thing because Sally soccer mom is a moron and won't notice, doesn't seem like a good business plan.

I really hope Apple has a secret iPhone 5 they've been hiding with a larger screen and other improvements, but I'm not holding out much hope, the iPhone 4 was a must buy, now 15 months later, buying another iPhone 4 with the same boring locked down OS seems like a bad investment. I think some people really need to go out and see some of the new phones out from the competition, they really are good.

For what it's worth, I totally get where you're coming from--our phones probably have a lot of the same stuff installed. I just don't believe that most of the world notices a lot of this stuff. Which isn't to say it's not worth it, just that if Apple is focusing on their biggest user base, it won't necessarily be people like you and me who jb and tweak every little thing.

It's easy for us to say "where are my status bar icons, Apple?!?", but most people would be more likely to say "what's a status bar?" But I don't think they're "never updating the thing" by any means; but more that they're doing updates that allow them to hold consumers' hands while they walk them through new features. Again, it's something that's frustrating for geek users but probably a good long term strategy for Apple. In other words, I think you're right: Apple is choosing to do smaller updates.

[Aside: Why is quoting posts so messed up? If I'm quoting a conversation, my reply only shows the latest poster's comments, not the whole thread--as above, where I can't see any of my own comments that redbeard was replying to.)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@red of course the SGS2 outsold ip4 in korea!!! Korean pop stars make songs about Super Amoled!

Also, why do you think Sony's crappy X10 outsold it in Japan? It's called nationalism.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that Apple would wait this long and release a minimal upgrade.... I think a lot of these blogs are getting info.... But about the i4 for sprint or the i4 entry level model....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that Apple would wait this long and release a minimal upgrade.... I think a lot of these blogs are getting info.... But about the i4 for sprint or the i4 entry level model....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully you are correct and Apple will confirm that there are indeed 2 new iPhones coming out. The iPhone 5 being the one that has new hardware along with the new iOS version.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It is no different than the 3G and 3GS honestly. They simply beefed up the 3G and called it a day. I'm not sure how that is all that shocking. I wish I knew every little detail but I don't. Perhaps they are sticking with that pattern.

Look at it this way, currently the iPhone 4 is still the best selling phone out there after being out for well over a year at this point. Apple knows a beefed up 4 will sell well. And it will.

And I'll say it again, I hope to God I've been lied to.

In order of probability from most likely to least likely:

1. Your source is right.
2. Your source is wrong (didn't know all the details).
3. Your source knew all the details and lied to you.

I'm guessing you're really hoping for #2.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why a new design is so important. New specs are where it's at. The 4 is a gorgeous phone, anyway.

I think people see what the newer phones are like and really want the iPhone to be like them. However, this is not going to happen with apple. While I do think they care a little about the looks, they are more focused on putting out a high quality product, VS some look a like.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think people see what the newer phones are like and really want the iPhone to be like them. However, this is not going to happen with apple. While I do think they care a little about the looks, they are more focused on putting out a high quality product, VS some look a like.

Or maybe people just want a larger screen to help their eyes or when typing. Yeah the retina display is nice but it is still hard for some to use a 3.5 inch screen. I'm not saying 4.3 inch screen I think 4 inch would be fine and not make the overall size that much larger.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Or maybe people just want a larger screen to help their eyes or when typing. Yeah the retina display is nice but it is still hard for some to use a 3.5 inch screen. I'm not saying 4.3 inch screen I think 4 inch would be fine and not make the overall size that much larger.

You seem to forget that before the iPhone came out the largest screen you'd find on a smartphone was 3", and the resolution was about 320x240 at the absolute highest... Nobody is having trouble reading on a 3.5" screen. The sales numbers prove this.

I don't understand why a new design is so important. New specs are where it's at. The 4 is a gorgeous phone, anyway.

Perception is reality. iPhone 3G -> 3GS was a huge jump, but people perceived it as only a minor update because it looked the same. Changing the looks of the device for Apple is mainly a marketing thing, although this year it may have some actual hardware significance, as a device with tapered edges is easier to hold especially if it's a little wider.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I can see your point. It's all null and void to me, anyway, as my upgrade isn't until February and I'll most certainly be getting the iPhone 5 regardless of what it looks like.

And I'll be keeping my 4 in my desk drawer as a spare. :)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

It would seem to me other equipment makers are designing based off of Apple's look/success. Isn't that what landed Samsung into hot water in Europe?

Apple cares just as much about the look/design of there products as they do the functionality. This is what makes them unique.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2