No new design for Iphone 5 (aka iPhone 4S)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So why do you think Apple thinks they can rest on their past success? I just can't figure out what they are thinking here.

It is no different than the 3G and 3GS honestly. They simply beefed up the 3G and called it a day. I'm not sure how that is all that shocking. I wish I knew every little detail but I don't. Perhaps they are sticking with that pattern.

Look at it this way, currently the iPhone 4 is still the best selling phone out there after being out for well over a year at this point. Apple knows a beefed up 4 will sell well. And it will.

And I'll say it again, I hope to God I've been lied to.

Last edited:

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It is no different than the 3G and 3GS honestly. They simply beefed up the 3G and called it a day. I'm not sure how that is all that shocking. I wish I knew every little detail but I don't. Perhaps they are sticking with that pattern.

Look at it this way, currently the iPhone 4 is still the best selling phone out there after being out for well over a year at this point. Apple knows a beefed up 4 will sell well. And it will.

Exactly! I didn't own an iPhone until #4 and even I remember how many people b*tched about the 3G/3GS bump. Yet...they sold a ton of 'em!

So you're sayin' there's a chance?! ;) LOL!!

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Apple can get away with just beefing up the iphone 4 these days, the competition is stiff and they need to do keep bringing people into its stores.

When looking at the ipad and the ipad2, i think "iphone 5" will vary in its design compared to the iphone 4.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Who says those cases are even for an Apple product?

And who is to say these cases are not for the next iPhone. They could be, they might be and given the fact that in China nothing is a secret its very likely companies there know full well what the design looks like.

Of course Apple could change the design of the iPod Touch and those cases could be for that and maybe the iTouch gets the bigger screen. Who knows, none of us for use as it stands today. In a few weeks we will know more, in a month hopefully sooner it will be launched.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't think Apple can get away with just beefing up the iphone 4 these days, the competition is stiff and they need to do keep bringing people into its stores.

I'll repeat myself here - Not sure how you can say that when the current phone is still out selling every single phone in existence today...

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll repeat myself here - Not sure how you can say that when the current phone is still out selling every single phone in existence today...

Oh sure but that's because there's only one iphone 4 compared to different android ones being made by several manufaturers for instance. It is no secret android is activating more phones per single day than the iphone is.

Looking at my personal case, i would've stayed with ipad1 if it has the same form factor as the newer model. I don't think it is going to be different if the new iphone does not have some sort of physical revision to it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh sure but that's because there's only one iphone 4 compared to different android ones being made by several manufaturers for instance. It is no secret android is activating more phones per single day than the iphone is.

Looking at my personal case, i would've stayed with ipad1 if it has the same form factor as the newer model. I don't think it is going to be different if the new iphone does not have some sort of physical revision to it.

I agree with you. If android only had 2 phones then yes they would be selling on par with the iphone. When you have so many choices 1 phone isnt going to get millions more sales than another phone that is similar in specs. Seeing that the i4 is the only real powerhorse and they only release 1 phone a year that is probably about 90% the reason there are such long lines when a new iphone is released.

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Does it make any sense that they would make less changes to the 5 than they did to the 4 with an extra 4 months to work on it, and when competitors phones have leapfrogged the iPhone in many ways? The 5 also needs to stay competitive for another year, which by then there will be quad core retina busting Android phones out making the iPhone 4/5 look pretty dated... imo..

I agree. Android has 3D phones now! :D
But really, I will be disappointed if they did absolutely nothing during the 3 extra months they had. That's 25% more time than they normally get, that's huge! I know, 80 billion yada yada yada. Maybe they can rest on the laurels and get away with a 4S, but why would they want to? If there aren't serious spec upgrades on this phone, I'm keeping my 4 and enjoying iOS 5.

Why wouldn't I upgrade to a 4S? Contract. If they plan on releasing a new iPhone June 2012, and I'm renewing my contract in October, I'm not gonna be eligible for the REAL upgrade June 2012.

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Competition

Apple has to redesign the iPhone or else their butts will be kicked by Android. Usually they are the first ones to produce a new feature and their r starting to get beat. Apple will have to do pretty well with this iPhone or android might start winning. Im expecting new design, 4g, 10/12 mp camera, thinner lighter, 3 mp front facing camera they want to have reasons why people want an iPhone and not a droid

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple has to redesign the iPhone or else their butts will be kicked by Android. Usually they are the first ones to produce a new feature and their r starting to get beat. Apple will have to do pretty well with this iPhone or android might start winning. Im expecting new design, 4g, 10/12 mp camera, thinner lighter, 3 mp front facing camera they want to have reasons why people want an iPhone and not a droid

What Android out on the market today has a 10/12 MP camera that Apple needs to be worried about? IMHO, Apple has absolutely nothing to be worried about for the reasons that I mentioned here: http://forums.tipb.com/1757039-post3.html. ;)

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I think with this update all the focus has been on the software side--the last update brought the retina display and the hardware redesign; now we get iCloud, iTunes Match, iMessage, more Airplay/Facetime availability (?) and so on.

While those things are good additions, they are not what most people were looking for, the notification system was the biggest mess, and yet they still only managed to halfway fix it, you'll still need to jailbreak to get a status bar icon! The cloud offers me nothing, I have 1 gig of music on my phone, so it's a gimmick, iMessage is ok, but I have unlimited texting, so again it's of no benefit. Still no Facetime over 3G, I've been doing it for over a year thanks to the jailbreak devs:D If the focus was on the software side, that's pretty bad, they are playing catch-up with other phones and yet they still didn't get it right.

Meanwhile other companies are pumping out a dozen phones or more every year, in all shapes and sizes, with more software features, yet you're telling me the most valuable company on Earth can't build one phone and one OS update every year? I don't buy that because it's utter nonsense, the only thing that could stop Apple is they are choosing not to.

In other words, it's true that the iP4 specs have been matched and sometimes beaten by competitors, but simply having a bigger spec sheet has never been what Apple excels at, or has even tried to excel at. Instead, they're focused on the experience, and hardware is only part of that. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that this year was more of a software refresh with some slight hardware bumps. Just the iOS 5 features have already got people excited.

While there is truth to that, after spending time with some of my friends "inferior" Android phones, that are much faster, and offer a far better "user experience", than the locked down iPhone, I wonder if that's just marketing spin.

What exactly is there to be excited about with iOS 5? The only things that interest me is the notification system and Reminders, I know the jailbreak devs will fix the flaws of the notification system, but then I have had a superior notification system on my iPhone for a couple years now.

The UI is still exactly as it was in 07, when you look at OS 1 and OS 5 they look identical, and just like a car that hasn't be re-designed in ten years, it looks and feels stale, eventually the average consumer is going to catch on (which I personally feel they already have going by how many people I know that have left the iPhone).

And it's worth remembering that the vast majority of iPhone users are not the usual tipb.com reader. Many are still happily using the 3GS they've never synced, unaware even that they could update their software. I just explained the app switcher to someone who has been using her iP4 for a year; she had no idea it was there. For people like this, specs--if they mean anything at all--are very far down the list, and certainly well below the ease-of-use factor that has made the iPhone so popular in the first place.

And those people would probably still be happy with a RAZR, I believe Apple should strive to be the best, and that's how the iPhone became #1, never updating the thing because Sally soccer mom is a moron and won't notice, doesn't seem like a good business plan.

I really hope Apple has a secret iPhone 5 they've been hiding with a larger screen and other improvements, but I'm not holding out much hope, the iPhone 4 was a must buy, now 15 months later, buying another iPhone 4 with the same boring locked down OS seems like a bad investment. I think some people really need to go out and see some of the new phones out from the competition, they really are good.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Exactly! The huge majority of consumers look at the overall user experience the iPhone offers rather than the spec sheet. However, I take exception to the characterization that the rumored hardware improvements will be "slight". The jump from the single-core A4 to the dual-core A5 alone is huge, but I doubt the hardware bumps stop there.

The techie fringe may have a jaded attitude to what this next iPhone may offer, but the overwhelming majority of consumers who can afford it are at near fever pitch. Demand for iPhone 5 is going to be off the charts.

Like that user experience where I was trying to show a group of people a website on my superior iPhone last night and I embarrassingly had to borrow a friend's inferior Android phone to show because it was a flash site? It's things like that that make you stop and wonder about this whole deal.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

I've never got the sales argument as a consumer, sure it's good for Apple, but it benefits me how?

Some of the best goods out there sell in very low numbers, I'd rather drive a Ferrari and wear a Rolex then drive a Kia and wear a Casio. Sales numbers mean nothing to me.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

When looking at the ipad and the ipad2, i think "iphone 5" will vary in its design compared to the iphone 4.

Exactly, people bring up past years where there was little in the way of any competition, things have changed now, Apple got that with the 4.

How is the general consumer who is not a techie going to want an iPhone 5 when they walk into an Apple store and start playing with one and think it's the "old one"? When they can't tell it from the 4?

I forgot to add, when the old one that looks and feels the same is cheaper too?

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Android has 3D phones now! :D
But really, I will be disappointed if they did absolutely nothing during the 3 extra months they had. That's 25% more time than they normally get, that's huge! I know, 80 billion yada yada yada. Maybe they can rest on the laurels and get away with a 4S, but why would they want to? If there aren't serious spec upgrades on this phone, I'm keeping my 4 and enjoying iOS 5.

Why wouldn't I upgrade to a 4S? Contract. If they plan on releasing a new iPhone June 2012, and I'm renewing my contract in October, I'm not gonna be eligible for the REAL upgrade June 2012.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, what if next summer Apple comes out with a 4 inch screen phone and I'm locked into an AT&T contract until 2013!

I don't want to leave the Apple ecosystem, and I really need a phone for work that has a notification light and a speaker I can hear, so I might just buy something else for work, and keep my 4 and just get the iPhone 6 whenever it comes out.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've never got the sales argument as a consumer, sure it's good for Apple, but it benefits me how?

Some of the best goods out there sell in very low numbers, I'd rather drive a Ferrari and wear a Rolex then drive a Kia and wear a Casio. Sales numbers mean nothing to me.

Ha someone who looks at things with an unclouded mind. This is so true since all iphone owners use is well it sells more than your android so it must be better.

Sidberto

May 22, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts

I think that the iPhone 4 spec bump and antenna redesigns will be for all carriers and Apple will still sell two models (GSM for AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA for Verizon and Sprint) for $100 on contract. But in addition, Apple will release a redesigned iPhone 5 at the regular price points of $200/$300 on contract for both all carriers as well.

To sum up, we will see an iPhone on all carriers. An iPhone 4 with redesigned antenna system AND an iPhone 5 with a complete redesign.

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I think that the iPhone 4 spec bump and antenna redesigns will be for all carriers and Apple will still sell two models (GSM for AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA for Verizon and Sprint) for $100 on contract. But in addition, Apple will release a redesigned iPhone 5 at the regular price points of $200/$300 on contract for both all carriers as well.

To sum up, we will see an iPhone on all carriers. An iPhone 4 with redesigned antenna system AND an iPhone 5 with a complete redesign.

I hope your right...I'm getting nervous hearing all this "no redesign" talk. :(

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

uum the sgs2 was outselling the i4 in Korea or wherever so it isn't outselling that phone so not every phone in existence:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox