My take on why no lte in this years iphone

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Apple would never have to increase the price of the iPhone. They get huge discounts on all parts because they buy so much more of the same parts than anyone else does.

I think the more likely reason is that they are working on making a device that covers GSM and CDMA in one device, and they can't cover 4G for all carriers in the same device so they're waiting for next year to expand. Also, most 4G networks are not very evolved yet, and in many countries (like Canada), there isn't any 4G available in the foreseeable future (granted, our 3G is way faster).

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Apple would never have to increase the price of the iPhone. They get huge discounts on all parts because they buy so much more of the same parts than anyone else does.

I think the more likely reason is that they are working on making a device that covers GSM and CDMA in one device, and they can't cover 4G for all carriers in the same device so they're waiting for next year to expand. Also, most 4G networks are not very evolved yet, and in many countries (like Canada), there isn't any 4G available in the foreseeable future (granted, our 3G is way faster).

+1 to this theory. Even in the US 4g is very much in its infancy. If you are lucky enough to live in a 4g area the speeds are crazy fast, but if you go outside of the small 4g footprint you have a major issue with battery drain. My wife had the thunderbolt and couldn't even make it through a work day on one charge cause the area she works is in and out of 4g.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
LTE is too power hungry and the chips are too big in this generation. I think we'll see one next year, maybe even 2013.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It's September, we need apple to announce something soon so we can squash all the rumors. I think that Apple is going to have a hard time competing sans 4G ... I know of people that are avoiding the iPhone because it's only 3G ... Crazy to realize but it's really out there.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well that raises another question. Surely the new iPhone radio will support the 4G that ATT and T-Mobile use currently, which is HSPA+. While we know it's not really true 4G (and frankly neither is LTE since it doesn't carry voice at the moment), will Apple market it as 4G? Then next year call it iPhone LTE.

Reactions: DannyMichel

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's September, we need apple to announce something soon so we can squash all the rumors. I think that Apple is going to have a hard time competing sans 4G ... I know of people that are avoiding the iPhone because it's only 3G ... Crazy to realize but it's really out there.

I used to think the same thing about the GS2, however, after my experience with the Inspire 4G last weekend, I no longer think so. I know the GS2 is using newer technology than the Infuse but Android is still buggy in a lot of ways, and still doesn't come close to Apples App store from what I was seeing in the Android Market. Battery life continues to be a big issue as well. One other thing that I found was that my browser experience is much better on my iPhone 4 despite it's smaller screen. I really do think that the GS2 is going to do well in terms of sales, but it still won't come close to the numbers that the new iPhone is going to see.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to think the same thing about the GS2, however, after my experience with the Inspire 4G last weekend, I no longer think so. I know the GS2 is using newer technology than the Infuse but Android is still buggy in a lot of ways, and still doesn't come close to Apples App store from what I was seeing in the Android Market. Battery life continues to be a big issue as well. One other thing that I found was that my browser experience is much better on my iPhone 4 despite it's smaller screen. I really do think that the GS2 is going to do well in terms of sales, but it still won't come close to the numbers that the new iPhone is going to see.

Yeah no phone will because people buy apple as more of a status symbol for alot so apple really doesn't need to change much because the same people are going to buy it just like most of the same people stick with android. Apple has a loyal following which is why I can see them getting away with a 3g only phone. Has nothing to do with os or how smooth it is. It is just different perspectives from apple and android fans, hence why you are seeing more lte androids pop up and more of a focus being put on that. I think people would be ok with not that great battery life on a lte iphone. I mean when the 3g/3gs was out it didnt have that great of battery life either.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah no phone will because people buy apple as more of a status symbol for alot so apple really doesn't need to change much because the same people are going to buy it just like most of the same people stick with android. Apple has a loyal following which is why I can see them getting away with a 3g only phone. Has nothing to do with os or how smooth it is. It is just different perspectives from apple and android fans, hence why you are seeing more lte androids pop up and more of a focus being put on that. I think people would be ok with not that great battery life on a lte iphone. I mean when the 3g/3gs was out it didnt have that great of battery life either.

I disagree with the area in your post that I Bolded. I think the reason why the iPhone sells as well as it does has a LOT to do with how smooth and polished that it is. Also, except for people like us who post on these forums I do not feel as though there are a large number of people out there who really know what the difference is between a 3G and a LTE device, which will still be a big factor in the number of sales that the new iPhone is going to see even if it doesn't include LTE this time around.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with the area in your post that I Bolded. I think the reason why the iPhone sells as well as it does has a LOT to do with how smooth and polished that it is. Also, except for people like us who post on these forums I do not feel as though there are a large number of people out there who really know what the difference is between a 3G and a LTE device, which will still be a big factor in the number of sales that the new iPhone is going to see even if it doesn't include LTE this time around.

Yeah but with advertising most who aren't on sites like this walk into a store and see something that has a large advertising and something that sticks out and thats what they get without knowing what real advantage so called feature does or even if they need it. Advertising plays a huge part and that is one reason apple products sell so well because you are bombarded with advertisements all the time and almost everywhere you go. Also, most people aren't as nitpicking like those on sites such as these are. I see many people with androids and they dont really complain about lag or things like that. I also know people with iphones and they don't say it is so smooth most do not know any difference nor care.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but with advertising most who aren't on sites like this walk into a store and see something that has a large advertising and something that sticks out and thats what they get without knowing what real advantage so called feature does or even if they need it. Advertising plays a huge part and that is one reason apple products sell so well because you are bombarded with advertisements all the time and almost everywhere you go.

If "advertisement" is your argument, then I also disagree. Due to the fact that I see a large number of advertisements for both the iPhone 4 and the LTE Android devices that are on Verizon's network. This being the case, the number of sales for both OS devices should be equal but it's not. As I said before, most people don't care about the speed at which their phones process information, but rather, how well it works, and whether the phone is easy to use VS complicated. It is no secret that the iPhone is easier for people to pick up and use than an Android device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If "advertisement" is your argument, then I also disagree. Due to the fact that I see a large number of advertisements for both the iPhone 4 and the LTE Android devices that are on Verizon's network. This being the case, the number of sales for both OS devices should be equal but it's not. As I said before, most people don't care about the speed at which their phones process information, but rather, how well it works, and whether the phone is easy to use VS complicated. It is no secret that the iPhone is easier for people to pick up and use than an Android device.

So you are saying that there is more lte commercials than apple commercials? I dont know what you are watching but I see atleast 10+ apple advertisements a day compared to about 2-3 tops for lte devices.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So you are saying that there is more lte commercials than apple commercials? I dont know what you are watching but I see atleast 10+ apple advertisements a day compared to about 2-3 tops for lte devices.

I believe I said that I see a "large number of both". ;) You are only seeing 2 or 3 LTE device advertisements per day? Really?? As I said, I see a large number of both, whether one has 1 or 2 more than the other is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is, the iPhone has a higher number of sales than Android, I don't believe "advertisement" alone has anything to do with it. People see and watch what their friends or family members are using as well. When they see how well the iPhone works for them, they go out and buy one for themselves, and so on and so forth. I never liked the iPhone when it first came out, and never purchased one until I saw a few friends of mine with the iPhone 3GS. I was getting tired of my Blackberry Bold and needed something new so I decided to give the 3GS a trial run. Since then I have had a few Android devices but keep coming back to my iPhone. Number one reason for that is that my iPhone 4 does everything I need it to do, and does it well. I don't have to worry about taking a charger to work with me to charge my iPhone in the middle of the day the way I had to with my Android devices. Quite frankly, as concerned as Apple has been in the past over the battery life in the iPhones, I really don't think we'll have to worry about that even if the new iPhone does support LTE technology.

Last edited:

Semyonchella

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
The supplier for the LTE chipset that Apple would have been using in the iPhone 5, is not achieving the yields necessary to produce sufficient quantities to meet the predicted demand. He also mentioned that Apple had hoped to have these chipsets ready, but since it was unlikely was now planning on releasing an updated iPhone 4 instead.
------------------------------
iPhone 5 Release Date

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Well that raises another question. Surely the new iPhone radio will support the 4G that ATT and T-Mobile use currently, which is HSPA+. While we know it's not really true 4G (and frankly neither is LTE since it doesn't carry voice at the moment), will Apple market it as 4G? Then next year call it iPhone LTE.

That's not 4G. Even AT&T doesn't refer to HSPA+ as 4G. But Maybe Apple will find some way to spin things with their marketing. Everyone was calling the iPhone 4 "iPhone 4G", and there is currently a STRONG misconception that the iPhone 4 already has 4G connectivity. Even here in Canada, where 4G networks do not even exist and our carriers are not calling HSPA+ 4G (as T-Mobile does).

I do think this iPhone will support HSPA+ though. Apple can't completely ignore the rest of the market this year, especially since they're taking an extra 4 months longer than usual to announce this device.

Apple will find a ridiculously effective way to compete with their marketing campaign, and iPhone sales numbers will increase, yet again. Guaranteed.

@semyonchella

That's bull. Sorry, that's just trolly-troll link-bait content.

You think Apple's going to wait a whole quarter longer than usual and release a minor update device? Yeah... that's just not a very smart assumption. Also, this is the 5th iPhone. 5 years is a BIG deal. Apple made some BIG OS changes this year and I think the hardware will be no different.

@Irish Rose
I was about to comment about how I never see either, but then I realized that I live in Canada (therefore no LTE commercials), and I don't watch TV. haha

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
@Irish Rose
I was about to comment about how I never see either, but then I realized that I live in Canada (therefore no LTE commercials), and I don't watch TV. haha

LOL, Jellotime, those are two very good reasons for not seeing any LTE commercials. :D

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's not 4G. Even AT&T doesn't refer to HSPA+ as 4G. But Maybe Apple will find some way to spin things with their marketing. Everyone was calling the iPhone 4 "iPhone 4G", and there is currently a STRONG misconception that the iPhone 4 already has 4G connectivity. Even here in Canada, where 4G networks do not even exist and our carriers are not calling HSPA+ 4G (as T-Mobile does).

I do think this iPhone will support HSPA+ though. Apple can't completely ignore the rest of the market this year, especially since they're taking an extra 4 months longer than usual to announce this device.

Apple will find a ridiculously effective way to compete with their marketing campaign, and iPhone sales numbers will increase, yet again. Guaranteed.

@semyonchella

That's bull. Sorry, that's just trolly-troll link-bait content.

You think Apple's going to wait a whole quarter longer than usual and release a minor update device? Yeah... that's just not a very smart assumption. Also, this is the 5th iPhone. 5 years is a BIG deal. Apple made some BIG OS changes this year and I think the hardware will be no different.

@Irish Rose

Doesn't the sgs2 run on lte in canada? Pretty sure I saw that somewhere. You would also think that since at&t is rolling out an lte network of thei own if apple could some how fit lte in their then they could advertise it as the first lte dual core on at&t which that in itself would get more people to buy. Even if they don't have lte in their area it would be something they could turn off.

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
That's not 4G. Even AT&T doesn't refer to HSPA+ as 4G.

Yes they do. Go to 4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T and you'll see the big orange banner that shows ATT 4G. Click on the technology tab and it clearly shows the 4G moniker over HSPA+ and LTE. My guess is they will go the Verizon route and call it 4G LTE when their LTE network is more robust and leave their HSPA+ network are plain ol' 4G. Also, the fine print on their commercials states at the bottom 4G is HSPA+.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes they do. Go to 4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T and you'll see the big orange banner that shows ATT 4G. Click on the technology tab and it clearly shows the 4G moniker over HSPA+ and LTE. My guess is they will go the Verizon route and call it 4G LTE when their LTE network is more robust and leave their HSPA+ network are plain ol' 4G. Also, the fine print on their commercials states at the bottom 4G is HSPA+.

That's really weird. In Canada we have had huge HSPA+ networks for a LONG time, and it's only really been referred to as 3G+ or 3.5G.

I did not know Rogers even had an LTE network... They really haven't been advertising it, I walk past their store and see their ads on the subway all the time, never once seen a single mention of LTE or 4G. Must be a very new development.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner