Bricked iPhone while updating ios5 beta 7

abuddha

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I've been using ios 5 with no problems for as long as it's been in beta. I got a prompt to update to beta 7 the other day. Clicking yes, I let it upgrade on it's own. I put it on the table and didn't t hink anything about i t.

An hour later when I came to use my phone I noticed it was stuck in a recovery loop.

I see an apple logo, then it cuts to the "plug into itunes" picture. From there, the screen goes all black with a white line running up the center.

It reboots and keeps doing this until it runs out of battery.

I can't get it to communicate with my computer in anyway. It just keeps doing that reboot business until it runs out of battery.I charge it up enough to get back into the boot cycle and away it goes again.

Wat do? =(

abuddha

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean trying to boot it with the power on the menu and power button and doing that whole release business? Cause it won't let me.

abuddha

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
WELL OKAY.

I can get it to go into DFU mode but windows tries to install the usb driver and fails. It doesnt show up in itunes but it is connected now?

Birchlabs

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Had this problem myself, can confirm that it is fixable.

Plugged phone into iTunes (whereupon it started its reboot cycle)

Held down Lock & Home for 7 seconds (whereupon it turned off)
-> Then, after a count of 2 seconds, released just Lock

Eventually phone reboots (only Home held down at this point) and iTunes sees it. Started restoring to beta 5 or something when I got the chance.

Didn't need tinyumbrella.

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The Same thing happened to me on my iPod Touch 3G. Not knowing that I was supposed to put it, in DFU mode. I did it OTA, not thinking that as well and it still did the "Connect to iTunes" and my screen would flash like a Las Vegas Showgirl.

Pretty much, I knew about this bug from everyone else, I updated a couple days later.

I powered it down, knowing how to put my iPod/iPhone in Recovery mode.

I waited a couple of minutes, this is still connected to the computer still. Took me about 5 minutes to put the iPod to turn it off. Eventually, I did and finally I try and restore it. It goes for about 2-5 minutes and it gives me an "-50 Error". So I didn't pay attention to that, so I still did the (Shift + Restore) and it worked the second time.

YouTube those iPhone to Recovery/DFU mode. They work wonders, if you don't jailbreak.

EvJ296#IM

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I've been using ios 5 with no problems for as long as it's been in beta. I got a prompt to update to beta 7 the other day. Clicking yes, I let it upgrade on it's own. I put it on the table and didn't t hink anything about i t.

An hour later when I came to use my phone I noticed it was stuck in a recovery loop.

I see an apple logo, then it cuts to the "plug into itunes" picture. From there, the screen goes all black with a white line running up the center.

It reboots and keeps doing this until it runs out of battery.

I can't get it to communicate with my computer in anyway. It just keeps doing that reboot business until it runs out of battery.I charge it up enough to get back into the boot cycle and away it goes again.

Wat do? =(

Exactly the same thing happened to me while attempting to update from beta 6 to 7. My 3GS is completely bricked. Tried the option + restore method with .dmg beta 5 and beta 7 downloads however it does not work. Stock apple restore fails with a 1015 error each time as well as in the apple store. Tried DFU mode "fix recovery" using TinyUmbrella however it fails each time. Still stuck in the "connect to iTunes" loop. PLEASE help?can't use my original iPhone for much longer....

abuddha

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I was finally able to get my phone into recovery mode after leaving it to charge while doing a reboot cycle over and over again.

Even in recovery mode I had a hell of a time fixing it. My desktop wouldn't install the recovery mode drivers. It kept saying "unable to install device". What I eventually had to do was switch over to my laptop, update itunes to the latest beta, and pray.

It worked.

What a stressful event!

lev.b

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
bricked iphone, can't restore

I have had the same exact problem. I did use tinyumbrella to fix it - the phone was working, but my entire music library wasn't -- and it would ostensibly "sync" with the computer, but music wasn't really there, so I decided to restore it to 4.3 -- didn't work -- then to 4.2, that didn't work either. I took it to my local apple store, the "genius" girl couldn't do it either. Got it back home, and now it's stuck on "connect to itunes" stage. I've tried the DFU mode, redsn0w and even the "fix recovery" with tinyumbrella with no success.

Could you please elaborate how you ended-up restoring? And, would anyone else be kind enough to help with this?

Lev

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73