Why a bigger screen?

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It seems that quite a lot of you guys want the iPhone 5 to have a larger screen. I've read some posts where people stated that it would not be a smart move of Apple if they kept the screen size for iPhone5.
I, for one think the screen size of the iPhone is perfect. I don't want a huge phone, I want one that will fit in my pocket and in the little phone sleeve in my bag.

If I want to watch a movie on a nice big screen i use my iPad, Macbook, or tv.

what are your reasons for wanting a larger screen?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well they can eliminate some of the bezel and still keep the same size with a larger screen. Not to mention a larger screen makes it easier for some to see things and when watching a movie and don't want to lug around something bigger. Also some people have large hands which typing on the 3.5 inch screen can be hard for them. There are various reasons people want a larger screen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Well they can eliminate some of the bezel and still keep the same size with a larger screen. Not to mention a larger screen makes it easier for some to see things and when watching a movie and don't want to lug around something bigger. Also some people have large hands which typing on the 3.5 inch screen can be hard for them. There are various reasons people want a larger screen.

That is not as easy as you think, though. There is a physicality to these things, they don't just pop it into Photoshop and by some magic it manifests itself with no regard for the limits of technology. Display panels actually need some bezel area. It probably could be slightly smaller but the display would only end up at about 3.8". And then there is the problem of manufacturing this display. It has to be 960x640, IPS, low power consumption, etc. etc...

To the OP:
People usually demand a bigger screen because those people only look at a spec sheet when they buy a product. They see 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 4.5" screen, etc. and assume it's "better" without even using it. They incorrectly assume that Apple MUST match their specs, or Apple will fail. This is wholly untrue.

Although yes I'm sure there are others who have big fingers or something and want a bigger screen for that reason, as above poster suggested.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind a larger screen as long as the battery life doesn't take a hit because of it, which is usually the case with the larger screens.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That is not as easy as you think, though. There is a physicality to these things, they don't just pop it into Photoshop and by some magic it manifests itself with no regard for the limits of technology. Display panels actually need some bezel area. It probably could be slightly smaller but the display would only end up at about 3.8". And then there is the problem of manufacturing this display. It has to be 960x640, IPS, low power consumption, etc. etc...

To the OP:
People usually demand a bigger screen because those people only look at a spec sheet when they buy a product. They see 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 4.5" screen, etc. and assume it's "better" without even using it. They incorrectly assume that Apple MUST match their specs, or Apple will fail. This is wholly untrue.

Although yes I'm sure there are others who have big fingers or something and want a bigger screen for that reason, as above poster suggested.

Yeah well I didn't say eliminate the bezel completely. There is alot of wasted space with the current design that could be removed to add a larger screen. I'm not saying going 4.3 but I think 4 would be perfect and not make the phone to large. That could also allow for the phone to be a little thinner if need be since people seem to like that.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The new smartphones will have a bigger screen.Apple has to make the iPhone's screen bigger .Even just 3.7" is fine

And you know it will be larger how? Not to mention apple could repackage the I4 and say it is revolutionary and the loyal iphone crowd would buy it.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
To the OP:

Man that just plain ignorant of why so many want bigger screens. Partially, it's the same reason we moved from 15 inch desktop monitors to 17, 19, 21, 25, @ higher resolutions. People want more screen realestate to be able to see more info. It makes typing easier and the overall visual/touch experience more pleasant.

Reactions: jsntrenkler

jacmeister68

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
if they could keep the same form factor and somehow squeeze the screen to 3.7 that would be perfect for me.

just a tad bigger to make the typing icons bigger.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You realize all the Android phones coming out now are pretty much the exact same thing right?....

And how is that? There is always a new android coming with different features than the last. There are alot of copies yes but it's not like the iphone where each year is only a small update. I mean look how long it took them just to be able to take videos and hell my cheap feature phone could video message.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Man that just plain ignorant of why so many want bigger screens. Partially, it's the same reason we moved from 15 inch desktop monitors to 17, 19, 21, 25, @ higher resolutions. People want more screen realestate to be able to see more info. It makes typing easier and the overall visual/touch experience more pleasant.

Agree it is typical fanboy spewing ignorance. The screen has nothing to do with a spec sheet it just makes it that much easier when the screen is a little larger to be able to do more comfortably on them.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
And how is that? There is always a new android coming with different features than the last. There are alot of copies yes but it's not like the iphone where each year is only a small update. I mean look how long it took them just to be able to take videos and hell my cheap feature phone could video message. Hop off the apple teet and look at it how it is.

So you're saying you'd rather have your cheap feature phone then an iPhone 3g because it can't video message? hahahah I think you're the one who needs to look at it a bit differently...

iamldash

Sep 9, 2009
www.twitter.com
I want a bigger screen because playing snes or gameboy advance emulators is harder to do than on my motorola atrix. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the bigger screen (4.0 I believe) until I came back to the iPhone

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying you'd rather have your cheap feature phone then an iPhone 3g because it can't video message? hahahah I think you're the one who needs to look at it a bit differently...

At the time yes. Now well I wouldn't get the 3g but times have changed. Why pay $200 bucks(at the time) when I can get the same thing from a phone half the price?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Uh, except that currently most Android phones have 3.7"~4.3" screens at 800x480 (with very few, very recent qHD exceptions, which are still lower res than iPhone), while the iPhone has a 3.5" screen at 640x960... So the screen real estate argument is completely invalid. It doesn't matter how big the screen is if it shows less pixels. That is NOT more screen real estate, it's LESS, while taking up more physical space. In that sense, screen real estate only applies to the physical space it takes up, in which case it should be a higher res in order to be at all efficient with its size...

@Red
That's exactly what I'm saying... Read your own comment over again and you might get my point.

Also, STOP double posting! It's not that hard!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro