Question about the new messenger app

Aluminum

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So in iOS 5 there will be a new messenger app that supposed to work with not just the iPhone but the iPad and the iPod touch right? so does that mean that I can send/receive texts through only wifi on my iPhone?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No. It will use "data" as opposed to ("voice", where SMS messages are sent)... so you can sent iMessage messages whether connected via wifi or a cellular connection (3G/EDGE).

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
But this will only work with other iphone users correct? as of now, there is no cross-platform messaging app to connect with android/blackberry users? Do you see one in the future?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
But this will only work with other iphone users correct? as of now, there is no cross-platform messaging app to connect with android/blackberry users? Do you see one in the future?

Yes, the iMessage app is iOS only (thus, will do wifi connected iPods and connected iPads, etc) and this point, and I don't see Apple expanding it beyond that platform, personally. There are some 3rd party apps in the AppStore that claim to/do work cross platform, but they are full of their own idiosyncrasies... PingChat is one that I can think of right off...

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It is my hope that they also include the mac platform in iMessage, would be great to be able to send messages directly from my mac to iMessage contacts. Would save me from having to look at my phone while working :)

Aluminum

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
No. It will use "data" as opposed to ("voice", where SMS messages are sent)... so you can sent iMessage messages whether connected via wifi or a cellular connection (3G/EDGE).

so if I'm in a room with no signal but only wifi connection I can still text a friend with an iPhone?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I can confirm if you are out of cellular range, but have a wifi signal, you can still send/receive iMessages.

Rodeoz

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Alli - If you bother reading the whole of this thread you will realise that the original poster has asked about iMessage's ability to send cross platform messages with another person replying in the negative and listing apps that do the trick.

Samsung's ChatOn is being billed as the BBM/WhatsApp/iMessage killer and will be available for all operating systems including the iOS. It is loaded with features and releases next month.

That is the only reason I listed its name here. So that the original poster knows that a good app is round the corner that can be used for cross-platform texting.

Shouldn't have been hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2