iPhone Notification Light Upon Us?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
iphone-4-s-08292011.jpg

In this image, there's a small dotted sensor/indicator very close to the proximity sensor above the ear speaker, and it looks veeery similar to the light that indicates when the webcam is in use on iMacs and MacBooks.

Discuss...

Also, if this turns out to be what I think it is, you are permitted to slap me for every time I said this would never happen on an iPhone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
nice :):) Bring it on....Maybe it will be on the 4S and the 5..

That's what I'm thinking. They are going to have to change the manufacturing process for the 4 anyway, so why not just add this tiny thing into it, it's not like this would be a deciding factor for most people on whether or not they're going to update.

Also, this could be a tester unit designed to look like the 4 for incognito testing of the iPhone 5's new internals.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Could it be the ambient light sensor?

I just want 2 things for the 5, a notification light and a bigger screen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Could it be the ambient light sensor?

I just want 2 things for the 5, a notification light and a bigger screen.

I don't think so. On older iPhone parts the ambient light sensor has never looked like that. Also, it looks exactly like what they use on the MacBooks for their indicator light.

I want so many things for the next gen phone but I don't care that much about any of them. I would only be upset if they don't fix the antenna, and/or they don't fix the camera sensor 'green dot' issue.

Last edited:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry, I initially missed the blinking LED light when I switched to iPhone.
After a few weeks, I realized how relaxing it was not checking for new messages constantly, not mistakenly seeing it flash out of the corner of my eye. At night, not leaving it on the night table so I could roll over and see it flashing in the dark.

Eventually, I was quite happy to have left that hypnotizing, obsessive behavior inducing light in the past.
Now it might be part of my life again?

:sucks thumb, curls into fetal position:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry, I initially missed the blinking LED light when I switched to iPhone.
After a few weeks, I realized how relaxing it was not checking for new messages constantly, not mistakenly seeing it flash out of the corner of my eye. At night, not leaving it on the night table so I could roll over and see it flashing in the dark.

Eventually, I was quite happy to have left that hypnotizing, obsessive behavior inducing light in the past.

Wouldnt you check it more without a led? A simple fix would be turn the phone screen down lol.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Naw, I realized that most of the things I was getting alerts for were B/S anyway. :p

I was just having fun remembering my BB LED OCD. ;)

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

So you never used Bedside Mode then, huh? Best Blackberry feature ever for the obsessed....LOL.....keeps the LED off at night.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

lol but if it actually does bother you, I am 100% positive that if they do include they will have an option to turn it off

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
lol but if it actually does bother you, I am 100% positive that if they do include they will have an option to turn it off

... Do you know what company makes the iPhone? Apple isn't exactly known for their wealth of options. We are still plagued by the Stocks and Contacts apps, and now the Newsstand is here to clutter us up even more... Not to mention Reminders, for those of us who already have an app for that purpose.

I think if there is a notification light, it's definitely not going to be optional. They might allow you to select which apps it shows up for, but I think there will be some things for which you can not turn it off. Like SMS.

jacmeister68

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
i think that the inclusion of a flashing led to notify for emails or imessages would be a worthy inclusion.

Surely we could always turn it off for certain alerts or all if you didnt want it to flash, but it seems to be a missing ingredient that many ios users want.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I think if there is a notification light, it's definitely not going to be optional. They might allow you to select which apps it shows up for, but I think there will be some things for which you can not turn it off. Like SMS.

Which is terrible. I hate notification lights.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
... Do you know what company makes the iPhone? Apple isn't exactly known for their wealth of options. We are still plagued by the Stocks and Contacts apps, and now the Newsstand is here to clutter us up even more... Not to mention Reminders, for those of us who already have an app for that purpose.

You raise a good point.. But I just think for a feature like that they would have to. And if they don't include that option they probably will end up changing it in a software update.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see a notification light, I also want to see a larger screen. Heck the device could have only those two upgrades and I would buy. I am afraid that apple won't enlarge the screen which may be a deal breaker for me. These big fingers need a bigger keyboard! ... :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Which is terrible. I hate notification lights.

This one wouldn't bother me. It's the same light they're using in the MacBook and iMac, which is very soft, and when it's not lit up you won't notice it. To be honest with notification center they NEED a notification indicator. I would rather they put icons in the status bar like statusnotifier and others, but the notification light is definitely their solution to that problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods