Questions. I may get an iPhone.

mjp1531

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I am currently a Blackberry user. Have been for years. I love almost everything about them except that they seem a little behind the times. I'm almost ready to move up to an iPhone but I have a few questions...

1. Why do they keep making new phones instead of just putting out updates?

2. What are the pros and cons of switching to an iPhone?

3. Will I need to "jailbreak" it?

4. I make my own ring-tones....will I still be able to do that? Still easily?

I think that's it for now. I'm just worried about switching because of how frequently Apple comes out with something new lol. I'd hate to buy a phone and then have it basically be obsolete in 3 months. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer! :D

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I am currently a Blackberry user. Have been for years. I love almost everything about them except that they seem a little behind the times. I'm almost ready to move up to an iPhone but I have a few questions...

I think that's it for now. I'm just worried about switching because of how frequently Apple comes out with something new lol. I'd hate to buy a phone and then have it basically be obsolete in 3 months. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer! :D

1. every manufacture does this...
2. pros and cons are user based.
3. no, only if you want to tinker
4. i think so but I'm not sure

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

1. because software updates can't do the whole job. Eventually, as the software evolves companies must produce new hardware to support the software in their updates.
2. pros and cons are user based and vary depending on your specific needs.
3. only if you want to change things up and tinker with it for fun
4.Yes you can make ringtones through itunes or with various apps if you like

Trust me, I tried blackberry and android before getting an iphone. If you switch to an iphone, you won't be disappointed.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

1. You'd prefer we all still use the first-gen iPhone, with 400Mhz processor, 128MB ram, 8GB storage max, 320x480 display, 5 hour battery, etc.? RIM comes out with many more new products than Apple does, so shouldn't you also wonder this about Blackberrys?

iPhones actually have the best scenario in the industry in this respect, because they receive software updates for 3 years after release. Apple is able to manage this by keeping their range of products small.

2. There's a long list, I'll try to summarize.

Pro: Best ecosystem on the market hands-down for apps, music, etc. Functional and simple UI. Great performance, phenomenal 3D games, etc.

Con: This really depends on what you're looking for. If you love the keyboard, it's a con that there's no physical keyboard. If you need email security, iOS 5 is actually adding S-MIME encrypted emails, so you will be fine there now. No BBM, but now there is iMessage which is integrated and can also be used on your iPad or iPod touch if you have one. I don't really think RIM offers anything else Apple doesn't right now.

3. Again this depends on what you're looking for. If you want custom themes, hidng icons, UI tweaks, whatever, then yes. If you're content with what you've seen of iOS 5 stock experience, no.

4. Yes. You simply need to get them in m4r format (Apple's format for ringtones), and then drag and drop them into iTunes and sync. I use audiko.net and it's very quick and easy, no registration or fees. Usually I don't even have to create one, because there's already one for the song I'm looking for.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's funny to me that people think Apple has a higher product refresh frequency than anyone else...just because something get's more publicity than other things doesn't mean its updated any more frequently.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple only comes out with one iPhone each year and yes, they do put out a lot of iOS updates during the year to correct and increase the performance of the iPhone. As to Jailbreaking, that is a matter of ones own preference. No one is forced to jailbreak their iPhones, as a matter of fact there are still many people out there that are happy with their iPhone just the way it is. :cool:

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, because really apple iPhone is the only phone you can buy that won't be outdated in a few months. How many brands still have phones that were released 26 months ago for $150 to $200?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's funny to me that people think Apple has a higher product refresh frequency than anyone else...just because something get's more publicity than other things doesn't mean its updated any more frequently.

It's so annoying to see my Facebook news feed flooded by idiots going "OMG I just bought my iPod / iPhone / iPad like a year ago and there's already a new one!!!!"... What did you expect, Apple would keep your model out until you're tired of it just to please you?

And I hate how people seem to think they HAVE TO buy each new version of a product. Nobody is forcing you to buy the new device. If your current device works the way it has and you're satisfied with that enough to complain about a new product being released, then just keep using it -_-.

Reactions: E_Brown

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

**ALL JUST MY OPINION**

1. There a multiple updates to the current firmware between device launches. I think this has been one of the longer stretches between devices.

2. I just came from a line of Android Phones, so the fact that I don't have the '4 buttons' anymore took a little to get used to. Once you get beyond the not having anything more than a home button, it's actually smooth sailing. Everything you needed to do with those buttons is done in some fashion on the screen. Be warned, if you get an iPhone, you'll spend your first week or so on a download spree in the AppStore, so make sure you don't have a credit card linked right away to avoid tons of stupid purchases (guilty).

3. You don't HAVE to jailbreak it, I jailbreak my devices out of boredom most of the time. I play with an emulator or two (SNES mostly) and within a few days to a week end up going back to stock again. (Maybe it's the ADD?)

4. Just use MP3's as your ringtones. (Cut em' up on your PC/MAC and send them over via iTunes)

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm sorry but i have to say something here. 3 months after I bought my bb curve 8330 a couple years ago RIM had released 5 new bb's and mine got 0 software updates (over 2 years i didnt get a single update). I'm not sure you actually know how often apple comes out with a new phone, one phone a year with old phones still getting the new OS. Sure this year was a bit different because of Verizon gettng the iPhone, and the whole issue with the white iPhone, but the fact of the matter still stands that apple has released one iphone this year, 1 last year, 1 the year before.
the fact of the matter is they release one new different phone each year so unless you buy right before a refresh you aren't in danger of havong an older phone.

Cheggy

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
the fact of the matter is they release one new different phone each year so unless you buy right before a refresh you aren't in danger of havong an older phone.

Like I did lol,
Had a 3G 8gig for two years, sold it for ?130 a month ago and got ip4 16gig knowing full well it's a year old now but still top of the bunch

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2