Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default i5 dual mode world phone?

    iPhone 5 to be a dual-mode world phone?

    Maybe they will make just one model that will work on all carriers
  2. #2  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,460 Global Posts

    Default

    There were earlier rumors about this, however, no official word from Apple yet.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
  3. #3  
    riley9dy's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

    Default

    Yea I've also heard the rumors and I think there's already been a thread about this. But yea I think there will be just one version. That would be most practical/profitable for Apple.
  4. #4  
    Jellotime91's Avatar
    iPhone Elite

    Posts
    2,432 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

    Default

    If it's true there will be only one model, say goodbye to those rumors about it coming out on T-Mobile US. I can see it working on 2 different types of carriers, but not 3... I'm not sure if that's even possible.
  5. #5  
    riley9dy's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jellotime91 View Post
    If it's true there will be only one model, say goodbye to those rumors about it coming out on T-Mobile US. I can see it working on 2 different types of carriers, but not 3... I'm not sure if that's even possible.
    Thats a good point. There's no way they could squeeze in all of the hardware/chips they would need to support more than two carriers.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riley9dy View Post
    Thats a good point. There's no way they could squeeze in all of the hardware/chips they would need to support more than two carriers.
    Well if it is lte it could be two models one with lte and gsm and one with lte and cdma to cover all 4 carriers.
  7. #7  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    Well if it is lte it could be two models one with lte and gsm and one with lte and cdma to cover all 4 carriers.
    Yeah, but there's that pesky issue of T-Mo not using the standard GSM 3G frequency (2100)... they got shut out of that spectrum and are using 1700 for their 3G...

    And then, God help us all if the GSM has a higher iOS release number than the CDMA... #justsaying
  8. #8  
    Jellotime91's Avatar
    iPhone Elite

    Posts
    2,432 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    Well if it is lte it could be two models one with lte and gsm and one with lte and cdma to cover all 4 carriers.
    As HankAZ said, T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency than AT&T. So it's impossible to cover all 4 carriers with just 2 chipsets right now. Also, Sprint uses WiMax, VZW and ATT use LTE, and T-Mobile uses HSPA+... That just makes things even more complicated.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jellotime91 View Post
    As HankAZ said, T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency than AT&T. So it's impossible to cover all 4 carriers with just 2 chipsets right now. Also, Sprint uses WiMax, VZW and ATT use LTE, and T-Mobile uses HSPA+... That just makes things even more complicated.
    That's why at&t and verizon would be lte and tmo and sprint use 3g since sprint is changing to lte in the future.
    Last edited by redraider133; 08-28-2011 at 04:41 PM.
  10. #10  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    That's why at&t and verizon would be lte and tmo and sprint use 3g since sprint is changing to lte in the future.
    That sounds good... but they need to cover the possibility of falling back to 3G speeds/technology... Just because AT&T and VZW are going to LTE for 4G doesn't mean that you can totally ignore their 3G technology... at least not yet. Just like today, we all sometimes fall back to EDGE (or the CDMA equivalent), we will still have to deal with the possibility of non-LTE coverage area... I highly doubt that any provider (or cell phone maker) will provide a LTE or nothing scenario.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    That sounds good... but they need to cover the possibility of falling back to 3G speeds/technology... Just because AT&T and VZW are going to LTE for 4G doesn't mean that you can totally ignore their 3G technology... at least not yet. Just like today, we all sometimes fall back to EDGE (or the CDMA equivalent), we will still have to deal with the possibility of non-LTE coverage area... I highly doubt that any provider (or cell phone maker) will provide a LTE or nothing scenario.
    I know they need to incorporate 3g for both. I guess we will find out in a few weeks when Apple announces it.
  12. #12  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

    Default

    Yes, we'll know what Apple is doing when they make the announcement. I was just pointing out the fallacy of covering all of the major wireless providers' needs with a single or dual handsets. I'm just saying that I don't see it working...
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    Yes, we'll know what Apple is doing when they make the announcement. I was just pointing out the fallacy of covering all of the major wireless providers' needs with a single or dual handsets. I'm just saying that I don't see it working...
    I don't think they will either I'm sure they will have multiple if not one for each carrier.
  14. #14  
    jsox78's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default

    Of all the features that could possibly be in the next iPhone, this is the one I am most interested in. I'm a current VZW customer that has been using a BlackBerry Storm II for the last year and a half. I've been wanting to get my hands on an iPhone since the original came out, but just haven't been able to bring myself to switch to AT&T. THe Verizon iPhone 4 is unfortunately not a world phone and because I need the ability to use my phone outside of the US it wasn't an option to purchase.

    At this point I'm going to be getting an iPhone when the next generation comes out. I've been putting it off way to long and will just bite the bullet if I need to and switch carriers.

Posting Permissions