Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Default beta 6 software update failed !!

I tried to do the OTA lastnight and i always get an alert saying : " Software update fail : an error occurred downloading ios 5 beta 6 "
    I'm on beta 5 and the phone is charging when I get this error, my wife took our computer overseas so OTA is my only option right now.. Anyone having issues downloading the update ??
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Do you have a dev license, or did you buy a spot on someone else's? If the latter, make sure to get in touch with them to see if Apple shut them down--your UDID could be blocked.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,627 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i assume you are not jailbroken. have you tried the obvious things like reboot, reset network settings?

are you using wifi?

Global Posts
    3,584 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yep, I would try a reboot first and then try the OTA ... For me I also told my phone to do a backup to iCloud first .. Had no issues.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Do you have a dev license, or did you buy a spot on someone else's? If the latter, make sure to get in touch with them to see if Apple shut them down--your UDID could be blocked.
    Nope, udid registered with an actual developer so that's not the problem..
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i assume you are not jailbroken. have you tried the obvious things like reboot, reset network settings?

are you using wifi?
    not jailbroken, already tried rebooting... I guess i'll wait until i get my computer back in two weeks, I cant restore my iphone since i dont have access to my backups...

Global Posts
    3,584 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    not jailbroken, already tried rebooting... I guess i'll wait until i get my computer back in two weeks, I cant restore my iphone since i dont have access to my backups...
    When does Beta 5 expire? ... I don't know the date, but do know that it will expire resulting in a unusable iPhone.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    Nope, udid registered with an actual developer so that's not the problem..
    What I meant was that Apple has been cracking down on developers who are caught selling access to the betas--these can be "actual developers" who then find their account (and by extension the access of all their "beta testers") suspended and cut off from new beta releases.

If it is your own developer account that you used, then obviously this doesn't apply.

Global Posts
    3,584 Global Posts
    iOS Version

What I meant was that Apple has been cracking down on developers who are caught selling access to the betas--these can be "actual developers" who then find their account (and by extension the access of all their "beta testers") suspended and cut off from new beta releases.

If it is your own developer account that you used, then obviously this doesn't apply.
    It is debatable in regard to that? It has been discovered that a lot of the so called "apple UDID disables" were actually people allowing their Beta's to expire.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hadn't heard that update, but I hope it's true.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Expert

I probably didn't make myself clear, it's an " actual developer" that does not sell spots, I test his app on my iphone..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is he local? Maybe you can update on his machine?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Expert

Is he local? Maybe you can update on his machine?
    I guess i could find a way to do it somewhere else but I think I'm waiting, dont have any issue with beta 5 , it just seems weird I seem to be the only one with this problem, after closing the failed download message the bottom of the software update page says " unable to verify your update because you are not longer connected to the internet " very weird since I'm on a wifi connection and it hasn't dropped or stop working at all, I already did a network reset but still get the same failed update notification.. ohh well !!!
    iPhone Nanite

You're not alone - I'm getting the same thing. Have restarted, etc. Did the OTA update on beta 5 no problem, but beta 6 just gives me "an error occurred downloading ios 5 beta 6" and then "Verification of the iOS 5 beta 6 update failed because you are no longer connected to the internet."
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    When does Beta 5 expire? ... I don't know the date, but do know that it will expire resulting in a unusable iPhone.
    end of Sept
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by romeodawg View Post
    You're not alone - I'm getting the same thing. Have restarted, etc. Did the OTA update on beta 5 no problem, but beta 6 just gives me "an error occurred downloading ios 5 beta 6" and then "Verification of the iOS 5 beta 6 update failed because you are no longer connected to the internet."
    just a question have either of you JBen any iDevices? did you use Tiny Umbrella?
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Nanite

I haven't jailbroken it and have never needed to enter a UDID -- it's always just worked.
    iPhone Newbie

I do the OTA upgrade with no error...