iTunes syncing issues on beta 5 and backups

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
2 days in a row, I go to sync my iPhone 4 running beta 5 iOS to iTunes beta 5and each time its not recognizing my iPhone that is already set up and wants me to set up as new or restore back up. I am not sure if its iTunes beta error or if my back up is corrupt. So I loaded a backup from a week ago over the current back up with out restoring the device and for the moment it has stopped asking for me to set up as a new device. So my question is, you think its ok to just load a old back up over the current back up without restoring? Or should I restore everything and load the back up fresh?. Trying to avoid restore and loading 26GB's back on.

Thanks for your opinions :D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing happen last night... Alli stated that she did, too, over the weekend... could be either the iOS 5 b5 or the iTunes 10.5 b5 (are you a Mac or PC? that may or may not be a factor - Alli and I are both Macs).

In my case, I chose "set up as new" and iTunes did a fresh backup before it reset my phone... so I let that finish, then restored from the fresh backup... there were a few loose ends, but overall pretty clean.

Hope we don't have to do this over and over and over :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It's iTunes. (I love blaming iTunes.) My goal is to not add anything or make any changes between now and the next beta just to spite the erratic iTunes behavior.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's iTunes. (I love blaming iTunes.) My goal is to not add anything or make any changes between now and the next beta just to spite the erratic iTunes behavior.

I'm thinking I should restore and load old back up back on. I dont know if loading a backup over current backup is good. Whats do you think?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
weird. i have not experienced any issues at all with iTunes & syncing

however, my phone now wants to play the brick game

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
According to dev forum posts, there (at least) two bug reports filed with Apple on this. One suggested workaround was to set it up as new, including resynching you apps, music and photos... that's a fair amount of work in some cases...

Will continue to monitor that and see what comes of it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
According to dev forum posts, there (at least) two bug reports filed with Apple on this. One suggested workaround was to set it up as new, including resynching you apps, music and photos... that's a fair amount of work in some cases...

Will continue to monitor that and see what comes of it.

Another issue that happend was when I did a previous sync on itunes 5, it changed my Apple ID to my wifes. We each have seperate logins on the Mac and seperate iTunes. This iTunes is buggy as heck

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Another issue that happend was when I did a previous sync on itunes 5, it changed my Apple ID to my wifes. We each have seperate logins on the Mac and seperate iTunes. This iTunes is buggy as heck

Someone just posted that they suspect some sort of issue with UDIDs... almost like it's not recognizing/correctly identifying the device... obviously, it's pretty much all speculation at this point...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Someone just posted that they suspect some sort of issue with UDIDs... almost like it's not recognizing/correctly identifying the device... obviously, it's pretty much all speculation at this point...

Thats very well could be. I wouldnt doubt it

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I would also be curious to find out if anyone having (or had) this issue is running the Windows version of iTunes? Of the 3 confirmed (here) instances of this problem all occurred on the OS X version of iTunes 1.5 beta 5.

I am running OS X Lion. I believe Alli is as well. Garz? Lion or Snow Leopard?

Anyone else having (or had) this issue? Please speak up and provide your environment and OS level.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues. Had to restore several times because iTunes keeps thinking my iPhone is new again.

system config..
systemss.png

running 64 bit iTunes.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I am having this issue as well. I also lost my camera roll somehow. I think I'll restore to yesterday when I get home then set up as a new and go from there.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Lion here. I only had the error once where I had to restore. But I'm regularly having to plug in now, cause even if I initiate the sync from my iPhone, my Mac will tell me the iPhone isn't attached.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Lion here. I only had the error once where I had to restore. But I'm regularly having to plug in now, cause even if I initiate the sync from my iPhone, my Mac will tell me the iPhone isn't attached.

Same here. I am doing a restore now. Will report back after to see if any issues have been resolved. This is very clearly an iTunes issue however.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

Yeah today is the first time iTunes has come back and told me I have a new phone and asks if I want to use it as new or not. I just canceled. It also gave me the error last night that the iPhone wasn't connected when I tried to sync. The only difference I saw was that I enabled wi-fi sync a couple of days ago and last night was the first time I had tried to sync via wi-fi. Wired also gives me the same thing. I also went into Xcode and deleted all the crash logs from my phone too. Those are the only changes I've made.

Interestingly enough, I noticed iTunes tried to re-download a song from Linkin Park that I gotten awhile ago and came back with a corrupted download error. I also use Lion and there is no current known way to uninstall iTunes in it, which makes things worse.

I logged into my dev account and noticed that my team provisioning profile certificate is invalid, but when I check the details it says it's managed by Xcode, so I am not going to worry about it until my phone is affected by it.

Hopefully there are no updates to a few games I have until the after the next betas are released. It sucks finishing them and then can't sync them since there's an issue. Some of them take a lot of work...lol

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I would also be curious to find out if anyone having (or had) this issue is running the Windows version of iTunes? Of the 3 confirmed (here) instances of this problem all occurred on the OS X version of iTunes 1.5 beta 5.

I am running OS X Lion. I believe Alli is as well. Garz? Lion or Snow Leopard?

Anyone else having (or had) this issue? Please speak up and provide your environment and OS level.

Yes Lion here too