The LED thread

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
actually, this would be pretty cool! except instead of a light it could be Steve Jobs hovering above our device intermittently pointing down at the device in a manner like "hey, you have a message!"

I am so freaking down with that! BLiNK, you are "the man"!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Someone in one of my G+ circles suggested a light ring around the home button under the bezel. That would be so much cooler than a blinking light.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Someone in one of my G+ circles suggested a light ring around the home button under the bezel. That would be so much cooler than a blinking light.

Yeah, or just have the square on the home button itself light up. That would be nice too.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, or just have the square on the home button itself light up. That would be nice too.

Huh. Last month you had all kinds of ridiculous reasons why an LED on an IPhone was stupid. Now your giving opinions on how Apple should do it and how nice it would be. Can you say flip flop.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Who cares opinions are just that, they are not set in stone. How many millions of people on here said they hated the design of the iPhone 4 when Gizmodo leaked it. It's too square, it looks like a Blackberry now, then it gets launched and everyone changed their tune that is human nature an opinion can be changed. I guess there is nothing in life you've ever expressed an opinion on and then expressed the opposing view later.

Anyway what I really wanted to ask you LED lovers. Do you really gain anything from the LED? I don't want anyone to tell me why it's so good anyone can find reasons to support their reasoning. I just want you to answer my question. Do you really gain anything from the LED?

You still have to unlock the phone when you see it blinking. It doesn't tell you what kind of message you've got, the importance of the message just the fact that you have a message so it cuts down on how often you check for messages. Well there is lockinfo and now notification center which will show you messages you have. In the gran scheme of things does it really save you that much? My point is that it doesn't tell you whether you have a text message, reminder, voicemail, missed call. It doesn't tell you if it's a text from your pregnant wife or a voicemail from 1-800-wasteoftime so it doesn't really enhance the experience that much. I think most of you want it simply because of learned behavior, the same as with physical keyboard lovers. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that I'm just wondering if that is the case. I have never owned a BB so if the iPhone gets a LED as long as it's done slick I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll ignore it or turn it off. So it really doesn't bother me either way.

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Who cares opinions are just that, they are not set in stone. How many millions of people on here said they hated the design of the iPhone 4 when Gizmodo leaked it. It's too square, it looks like a Blackberry now, then it gets launched and everyone changed their tune that is human nature an opinion can be changed. I guess there is nothing in life you've ever expressed an opinion on and then expressed the opposing view later.

Anyway what I really wanted to ask you LED lovers. Do you really gain anything from the LED? I don't want anyone to tell me why it's so good anyone can find reasons to support their reasoning. I just want you to answer my question. Do you really gain anything from the LED?

You still have to unlock the phone when you see it blinking. It doesn't tell you what kind of message you've got, the importance of the message just the fact that you have a message so it cuts down on how often you check for messages. Well there is lockinfo and now notification center which will show you messages you have. In the gran scheme of things does it really save you that much? My point is that it doesn't tell you whether you have a text message, reminder, voicemail, missed call. It doesn't tell you if it's a text from your pregnant wife or a voicemail from 1-800-wasteoftime so it doesn't really enhance the experience that much. I think most of you want it simply because of learned behavior, the same as with physical keyboard lovers. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that I'm just wondering if that is the case. I have never owned a BB so if the iPhone gets a LED as long as it's done slick I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll ignore it or turn it off. So it really doesn't bother me either way.

Actually as someone (albeit sarcastically) pointed out earlier, there is a BB app called BeBuzz that allowed you to customize the color and flash pattern of the LED depending on what program the notification was from or which contact it was from. For example, I could have my work email flash green and a missed text message from my wife flash pink/purple alternately. It sounds gimicky, sure, but it also let me know if I could ignore the message or if I should look at it immediately.

You might not GAIN anything, but its a matter of convenience to me. Do I GAIN anything having a clothes dryer? I mean, hanging wet clothes on the line in the sun dries them just the same, but the dryer is convenient. And people like options. How about the opportunity to turn it off if you don't want it? I do really like the idea of the square on the home button lighting up...maybe a nice soft on and off glow (with customizeable colors, of course!).

Now for my over the top suggestion:

You know the purple girl hologram from Halo? I want her to appear over my iPhone, whilst being projected from the home button, and tell me I have a message. She can even call me "Master Chief."

To satisfy the poster that wanted Steve to float above his iPhone, you can have Steve Jobs head on her body. Weird, sure, but I bet you a thousand dollars several people would choose that option if it were available. LOL.

Reactions: redbeard

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73