Nephews interesting concept on the release of new iPhone's...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So i was playing Xbox with my nephew (12) last night, and we got on the subject of the new iPhone, and how he wanted it so badly even though we really "KNOW" nothing of its specs, cosmetic design and really anything else relating to it...we just know a new iPhone is coming, and that seemed to be enough to him.

Then he made an interesting comment, one which i thought about long after we got off the xbox and i was going to sleep...what if Apple didn't release ANY specs on the iPhone outside price and size (8gb, 16gb, etc)...and just announced a new release, coming "x" date, and you blindly went into it with money ready.

It was intriguing, because i thought to myself...am i such a fan that i would go buy the new iPhone without knowing ANYTHING about it? It seems that a fairly large group of consumers have already answered this question with the recent "35%" number being thrown around referring to those ready and willing to buy the new iPhone (to which we know nothing about).

I honestly think i can base my purchase on historic satisfaction with the product line and blindly go in and buy the new iPhone...i don't even need to see it, i'll buy it anyways because A.) It's new, and B.) It'll have something new that will make me want it.

I start to wonder if the "mystery" behind a blindly released iPhone would bring more people to buy...i mean, throughout our lives, we tend to flock to things that leave us in the "unknown" (movie trailers are a good example, especially teasers that get audiences in a frenzy to buy tickets)...

So, if Apple decided "We're never releasing any info until release day", are you in?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Part of it depends on your cycle of ownership. My daughter will be buying one when they go on sale, regardless of specs, because she is currently using a 3GS and she will be due an upgrade. I don't blame her.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't think Apple ever does really focus on raw specs for the iPhone. For the 3GS they just said it was faster than the 3G, but did Steve ever mention the clock speed? (I don't remember) I think he did mention it had twice the RAM. With the iPhone 4 he just said it had the A4 processor, no speeds.

We never find out the specs until iFixit tears them apart. Do we know for sure yet the clock speed of the iPhone 4's A4 chip? I don't remember seeing the actual speed ever found or mentioned by Apple.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess my main point was would you be willing to buy an iPhone based solely on the knowledge that it was "new", with no extra details given about the phone itself?

I mean yeah, the details are usually vague, but we pretty much know new features, new design keys and things like that before we buy it...what if there was NOTHING? Jobs walks up during a key note and says "Oh yeah, and one more thing...new iPhone September 5th...BE THERE." And that's it...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes I would. But Steve already told me all the features of the iPhone 5 when he showed me iOS 5.0. Hardware these days is all around powerful enough.

It's really all the other manufacturers who are still stuck in the tech specs arms race.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes I would. But Steve already told me all the features of the iPhone 5 when he showed me iOS 5.0. Hardware these days is all around powerful enough.

It's really all the other manufacturers who are still stuck in the tech specs arms race.

And that works for this one...but what about the next? Say the iPhone "6" is released...no info, assumed same iOS as the previous version, no pictures...no nothing. Just Jobs saying "New iPhone, come get some!"

I think its basically a study in whether or not Apple has proven it's worth to a person to blindly follow them (as consumers) into new products without any viable "reason" outside having a new product from Apple.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And that works for this one...but what about the next? Say the iPhone "6" is released...no info, assumed same iOS as the previous version, no pictures...no nothing. Just Jobs saying "New iPhone, come get some!"

I think its basically a study in whether or not Apple has proven it's worth to a person to blindly follow them (as consumers) into new products without any viable "reason" outside having a new product from Apple.

It's a calculated gamble. As has been stated, it's largely based on past experience... at this point, I definitely would buy "sight unseen"... but burn me once and I am likely LONG gone... knowhutimean?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking about the iPhone 6 and I think I would probably still do it.

I know this sales tactic as the "Eric Cartman Method". Don't let people see your product or into your amusement park and they will go crazy to have even the slightest chance to get at it.

Off topic - Sean what do you play on Xbox LIVE?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about the iPhone 6 and I think I would probably still do it.

I know this sales tactic as the "Eric Cartman Method". Don't let people see your product or into your amusement park and they will go crazy to have even the slightest chance to get at it.

Off topic - Sean what do you play on Xbox LIVE?

Forza, Halo, CoD (just zombie stuff really), Battlefield Bad Company 2, Portal...pretty much anything my brother or nephews play, i think the only games i actually go online myself and play are Battlefield and Forza...

Monkey Johannon on XBL...

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, i think people who buy everything new if they could....only because it's "New"....and that means different which has never been seen before...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Honestly without knowing the specs and features I wouldn't buy it blindly. I would line up on launch day only because I know Apple and by the past iPhone versions I trust that it will be faster, slimmer, bigger screen or a combo of some of those things. If I actually got into the Apple store and what I saw had none of those things I'd buy it because I waited in the line so bloody long and then I would sell it. If I didn't wait on launch day and again it didn't have any combo of those things I wouldn't buy. This is the same reason I didn't buy the 3Gs when I had a 3G. It was faster big freaking whoop to me, it looked pretty much the same and it didn't do anything that I considered worth the cost. The iPhone 4 was a whole other ballgame when I saw the specs I had to have one.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I would buy one in a heart beat. Mainly because of past performance and quality. I trust Steve and his staff of 1000's. I know it will be great and exciting. I can't wait...

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would definitely buy one! History has proven that Apple always one ups their products in some way! There is no reason to speculate that they will go backwards! I used to have BlackBerrys and there is a device I would have to know specs on and actually use before I went out and bought one! No fear in that though as I have zero intention of going back there!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No. I didn't buy the iPhone 4 until well after it was out, and there would have to be some sort of new appeal for me to get it, rather than just being the newest model. I don't typically stay with just one brand of phone though, so...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
As long as AT&T keeps giving me yearly upgrade pricing, i'll keep selling old and buying the new one. All i really need to know is the launch date so I know when to ebay the old one.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If they change the form factor, no. I didn't get an iPhone until the ip4 was released. The glass was just too much for me to resist! ;)

On the other hand, my daughter has a 3GS and won't upgrade unless they DO change the form factor. She hates the square shaped ip4.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I may be lying to myself here, because I know I love new things. But if the iPhone 5 is a change like a 3 to 3GS I don't think I'll make the jump. Save my upgrade for the next one.

SteezyAR

Aug 2, 2011
www.SteezyAR.com
Part of it depends on your cycle of ownership. My daughter will be buying one when they go on sale, regardless of specs, because she is currently using a 3GS and she will be due an upgrade. I don't blame her.

I think this is one of the major reasons why people update. Why would you get something old when your due for a new phone anyway?

Marketing is a beautiful thing anyway - its something Apple does supremely well! Especially with their already impressive marketing channels, they can distribute HYPE exceptionally easily. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods