New Mac, transferring iOS backup issues

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So yesterday I got a new Mac and am transferring my information to the iPhone. I had restored the iPhone to get it in sync with this machine and restored from backup, which I copied the backup file from the other machine. The only thing I have a problem with are photos. My apps transfer fine, music, address book, ring tones...but the damn photos. What the hell man. I hit sync iPhoto and it syncs a little bit, but looks like mostly thumbnails as the quality is really low. Even then, it skips many.

I know Alli mentioned something about folders, but I don't know that I have anything in folders, just regular iPhoto events.

Thoughts?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Don't sync with iPhoto - sync with the Photos folder. This goes back to that thread asking what you sync photos with...I don't use iPhoto because it creates thumbnails of everything (any excuse to eat up my disk space!), and then you don't know what's photos and what's picture unless you're only using iPhoto - I hate it!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Don't sync with iPhoto - sync with the Photos folder. This goes back to that thread asking what you sync photos with...I don't use iPhoto because it creates thumbnails of everything (any excuse to eat up my disk space!), and then you don't know what's photos and what's picture unless you're only using iPhoto - I hate it!

How do you import your photos from iPhone to "Photos folder"? I could figure this out on a Windows but not Mac. I could only figure out how to import them into iPhoto and I hate iPhoto.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I actually happen to like iPhoto, but to each their own. As for now, I am going to restore it from backup on my old system and then see what I can do on the new one.

I will look into your photo folder suggestion. BTW, I have a 17" MacBook Pro for sale...lol

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
How do you import your photos from iPhone to "Photos folder"? I could figure this out on a Windows but not Mac. I could only figure out how to import them into iPhoto and I hate iPhoto.

I use image capture. I can copy the photos directly to a given folder, or the desktop and arrange them later. I can delete them as I import...or not. All it does is import, it doesn't try to take over. Still not as easy as Windows, but it works.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Fixed. It took some guess and check, but it worked. It turned out to be that once the iPhone was restored from backup, I had to let it sync the messed up pictures. I went back to the photo tab and told it to not include any anything, but left the sync pictures option checked. It took some time, and it cleared up the bad pics. I then went back and told it to sync all pics. It worked. 100% successful transfer from the old MacBook Pro to the new one. Thanks for the replies.

BTW, I have a MacBook Pro for sale....8^)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Like Alli I have the same setup I sync my photos over using image capture which just puts them in the Pictures folder. I have a folder labelled "iPhone" whichvis where I manually organize them. My phone is set to sync with that folder and works great.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2