Iphone 5 Global

Miamike

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey "rumor" has it that the next i phone 5 will indeed have global capabilities. Does this mean that there will be one model of the iphone 5 that will come automatically unlocked. If i get a verizon i phone 5 will i be able to pop in an o2 sim card in there as well???

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, but I know with the present and past Vz world phones they were locked to the carrier and you would need to call to get the unlock code if traveling overseas. We shall see what they do with the iPhone because I heard the same story that it would be a global phone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hey "rumor" has it that the next i phone 5 will indeed have global capabilities. Does this mean that there will be one model of the iphone 5 that will come automatically unlocked. If i get a verizon i phone 5 will i be able to pop in an o2 sim card in there as well???

Yes and no.

Yes, in that it's entirely possible there will be one single iPhone that has both GSM and CDMA radios/chips. Meaning it will be a truly global phone.

No, if you buy an iPhone 5 from Verizon that has a GSM radio you can bet that it will be locked to Verizon. You would need to get a SIM from Verizon to use with an international roaming data plan.

Now, that said we don't know about jailbreaking and unlocking through unofficial means at this time. So maybe you will be able to at some point. There also could still be different models that work on different GSM bands. The Verizon iPhone 5 might not support AT&T's GSM bands and only support bands outside the USA.

In summary, we just don't know.

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
There's gotta be a way for carrier to lock their phones even if the IP 5 is global. If there's a subsidy then most likely the phone will be locked. If not the ETF will be increased to deter people from cancelling contracts.

baharharre

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, If it is believed to be true, It will provide an option to choose another operator and can have freedom to use their device anywhere in the world.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal