Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default As easy as it sounds?

I'm running iOS 5 beta 3 and after being through these betas, I love the notification center but I'm just missing too much from jailbreak .. So I'm wanting to downgrade to the last iOS I had before the jump to 5, which was 4.2.1 ... I'm currently downloading the ipsw for it, so really I'm just wondering if it's as simple to install as it is every beta? I just do the option + restore and select that ipsw? And viola, I'm back on 4.2.1 and can jailbreak again? Do I need to downgrade my iTunes, too? ... This sounds easy enough, but I have a feeling it's not that easy ...
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Follow me on Twitter: JonMarkCarmona
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

you might want to look here first..

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...ml#post1739862
    Thanked by:
    jonmark (07-14-2011)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    you might want to look here first..

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...ml#post1739862
    Ohh ... Hmm, ok, I guess it'll take a few more steps then, thanks
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

iPhone Pro

iOS Version

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think you'll be able to get back to 4.2.1 as I don't think Apple is signing for it anymore. If you saved your blobs you probably can, but if not you'll be stuck going back to the latest iOS 4 version only.
    C H I R M E R
    Graphic designer, classical musician, Paleo eater, evolutionary runner & all-around Apple fangirl.
    2008 Macbook (white, 4GB RAM) [sold] >> iPod Touch (1st Gen, 8 GB) [sold]>> iPhone 4 (black, 16 GB) >> 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display (2.3 GHz 16GB RAM)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by chirmer View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think you'll be able to get back to 4.2.1 as I don't think Apple is signing for it anymore. If you saved your blobs you probably can, but if not you'll be stuck going back to the latest iOS 4 version only.
    Correct. Apple stops signing older firmware versions as new ones are released. Unless you have you SHS blobs saved (which it doesn't sound like it), the best you can do is downgrade to the current OS which is 4.3.3 (AT&T) or 4.2.8 (Verizon). If you are able to swing either of those, you will be in the minority as most are having major difficulty downgrading from beta 3. Good luck though.
    "I can teach you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite"
    --Dale Gribble
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Correct. Apple stops signing older firmware versions as new ones are released. Unless you have you SHS blobs saved (which it doesn't sound like it), the best you can do is downgrade to the current OS which is 4.3.3 (AT&T) or 4.2.8 (Verizon). If you are able to swing either of those, you will be in the minority as most are having major difficulty downgrading from beta 3. Good luck though.
    Hmm, yeah I don't even know what blobs are, haha, so I'm gonna say that no those aren't saved. I kinda read a few different places that I have to downgrade to beta 2 first, then from there downgrade to 4.3.3 ... Is 4.3.3 jailbreakable? I'd hate to go through this process and then turns out I won't be able to jailbreak at all ..

iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

99% sure 4.3.3 should be jailbreakable. There are several methods out there. It's getting back to 4.3.3 that's going to give you the most trouble. Good luck.
    "I can teach you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite"
    --Dale Gribble
    Thanked by:
    jonmark (07-14-2011)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Currently downloading beta 2 so I can attempt to go down to 4.3.3 ... Do I need to change iTunes version too? I currently am running the latest 10.5 beta 3

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by JonMark View Post
    Currently downloading beta 2 so I can attempt to go down to 4.3.3 ... Do I need to change iTunes version too? I currently am running the latest 10.5 beta 3
    Yes, that's what has been reported...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Check out this article: Downgrade iOS 5 beta to iOS 4.3.3
    But hurry because with 4.3.4 out it won't be long before Apple stops allowing 4.3.3 restores.