Biggest disappointment RE: the next iPhone...

francey

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
just to clarify. when i said needs major improvement, i didnt mean that the retina display wasnt a quality screen i was meaning from a personal point of view if apple want me to upgrade to the iphone 5 and it doesnt have a larger screen (which this thread suggests). and as i mentioned a larger screen is My biggest want. then i would be looking for it to be improved in other ways. e.g. by it also being an amoled plus screen.

so it only needs improvement to make me want to buy it not because there are any serious issues with it

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The issue is Apple expects everyone to upgrade every year because its a new model. I liked the iP4, but not the only carrier it was on at the time so I got rid of it. For me to return to an iPhone I need improvements, lets start with the antenna (real or perceived) but Jobs did tell us all we were holding it wrong. Next display, I agree the current display is great, but that doesn't mean Apple should sit on their butt and not push the envelope farther. The upcoming Android devices running ICS OS 4.0 will have 720P HD displays 1280x720 and will definitely give the iPhone display a run. Battery life, well that again is personal, you can always add a Mophie Juicepack Air on your iPhone or find a charger.

To me there has to be a compelling reason to get the next iPhone, it would make my life easier, syncing with my MBP, my wifes iMac, my iPod integration in my Subaru etc, but for the $$$$ I need an upgrade over last years iPhone tech and not just a camera upgrade (IP4 does have the best camera I have used in a mobile phone). My personal preferences, opinions and wants, needs, and desires. I'm not an Apple hater, but an honest Apple reviewer.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The issue is Apple expects everyone to upgrade every year because its a new model. I liked the iP4, but not the only carrier it was on at the time so I got rid of it. For me to return to an iPhone I need improvements, lets start with the antenna (real or perceived) but Jobs did tell us all we were holding it wrong. Next display, I agree the current display is great, but that doesn't mean Apple should sit on their butt and not push the envelope farther. The upcoming Android devices running ICS OS 4.0 will have 720P HD displays 1280x720 and will definitely give the iPhone display a run. Battery life, well that again is personal, you can always add a Mophie Juicepack Air on your iPhone or find a charger.

To me there has to be a compelling reason to get the next iPhone, it would make my life easier, syncing with my MBP, my wifes iMac, my iPod integration in my Subaru etc, but for the $$$$ I need an upgrade over last years iPhone tech and not just a camera upgrade (IP4 does have the best camera I have used in a mobile phone). My personal preferences, opinions and wants, needs, and desires. I'm not an Apple hater, but an honest Apple reviewer.

These kind of responses are frowned upon on these forums. You can't say anything other than the iphone is the best or people will flame you. I agree with you that apple should continue to innovate and make it an actual improvement. I know millions will go out and get it no matter what but that doesn't mean it should stay the same.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh my, well I will always tell it like I see it regardless of the OS. I have owned the devices running iOS 3 & iOS 4, Android's Honeycomb, Froyo & Gingerbread, BlackBerry OS 7 and WP7 and WP7.5 (leaked update). ALL of them have had parts that I found to be great, and not so great. I still visit forums on every OS type including Android Central, WPCentral, CrackBerry and TiPB to keep myself up to some level of insight.

My point regarding the display is Apple shouldn't up the size just because everyone else is, but consumers doe expect to have a bumped up spec list (whether some folks like it or not) otherwise its really just a different looking phone with most of the same internals. Apple does have stiff competition and its pretty clear they see that.

So I do hope the design has a wow factor, but I also hope we see a bump in other areas than processor. More RAM, storage would be nice and I do agree we likely won't see LTE but that to me is the bigger bummer (if its true). Verizon is touting their LTE and to not have it on their iPhone will be a downer, and likely there are a number of would be buyers who won't be buyers.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh my, well I will always tell it like I see it regardless of the OS. I have owned the devices running iOS 3 & iOS 4, Android's Honeycomb, Froyo & Gingerbread, BlackBerry OS 7 and WP7 and WP7.5 (leaked update). ALL of them have had parts that I found to be great, and not so great. I still visit forums on every OS type including Android Central, WPCentral, CrackBerry and TiPB to keep myself up to some level of insight.

My point regarding the display is Apple shouldn't up the size just because everyone else is, but consumers doe expect to have a bumped up spec list (whether some folks like it or not) otherwise its really just a different looking phone with most of the same internals. Apple does have stiff competition and its pretty clear they see that.

So I do hope the design has a wow factor, but I also hope we see a bump in other areas than processor. More RAM, storage would be nice and I do agree we likely won't see LTE but that to me is the bigger bummer (if its true). Verizon is touting their LTE and to not have it on their iPhone will be a downer, and likely there are a number of would be buyers who won't be buyers.

I think if they made the screen 4inch with either retina or hd that alone would be a wow factor for many.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I will agree with you on that. I do appreciate Apples design and engineering but I really hate the slow (death) incremental upgrade process. I would like something more perhaps every other year but something MORE. Bump the display size and resolution to keep the super high density. Please give us 64GB they will sell (but they don't want to cannibalize the iPod touch market). Its time to recognize your customers will continue to buy but they deserve more.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Its time to recognize your customers will continue to buy but they deserve more.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why they wont. Because they know people will buy no matter what so why give the customers what they want and then not have anything to add to the next years model.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
All I hope is that it's something worth upgrading for plain and simple I'm assuming there will be or what would the point be

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Zombie thread... I wonder if Jeremy still thinks there won't be a larger screen after all the rumors over the last 2 months?

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I do appreciate Apples design and engineering but I really hate the slow (death) incremental upgrade process...Apple does have stiff competition and its pretty clear they see that...So I do hope the design has a wow factor...

Everyone is entitled to their preferences. Most smartphone manufacturers try to satisfy a wide range of consumer preferences by making a variety of smartphones: big/small, keypad/slider/touchscreen, fast/faster, etc. Apple makes 2 models the same size. They are the most profitable smartphone maker with the most satisfied customers. I think they know what they're doing. It's the other phone companies that need constructive advice.

The iPhone 4 and the 3GS are still outselling any other smartphone today. The nearest competitor (similar price range, specs & capabilities) has been the Galaxy S line. The original S shipped (not necessarily sold) 10-12 million units. The S2 ~5 million units. During the same time frame Apple sold (not just shipped) 65-70 million iPhones.

Google touts Android activation numbers, but never actual sales numbers. Samsung announces these Galaxy S "shipment" headlines when they feel like it. They quit giving specifics in their earnings report. Same with Motorola, HTC & Sony. I wonder why?

The iPhone has competitors, but they are flailing while iP4 is flying. iPhone 5 is going to leave them even further back. The S2 is arguably the hottest 'droid right now. The Droid Bionic debuts this weekend after months of delays, but no one cares. Everyone's waiting for Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich, but will there really be that many buyers? How well have the past 2 Nexus devices sold?

The fact is the iPhone 4 design still wins the "wow factor" in most peoples' opinion. iPhone 5 will be faster and have better components. Most importantly it will have iOS 5. Apple is not worried about the competition. Apple is worried they can't make iPhones fast enough to meet demand for the remainder of this year.

There's no criticism for people who want a 4.5" screen, 4G, NFC or a physical keypad. There are companies out there who will make devices with some or all of those requirements. Apple will continue to make iPhones that the rest of the people will want.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their preferences. Most smartphone manufacturers try to satisfy a wide range of consumer preferences by making a variety of smartphones: big/small, keypad/slider/touchscreen, fast/faster, etc. Apple makes 2 models the same size. They are the most profitable smartphone maker with the most satisfied customers. I think they know what they're doing. It's the other phone companies that need constructive advice.

The iPhone 4 and the 3GS are still outselling any other smartphone today. The nearest competitor (similar price range, specs & capabilities) has been the Galaxy S line. The original S shipped (not necessarily sold) 10-12 million units. The S2 ~5 million units. During the same time frame Apple sold (not just shipped) 65-70 million iPhones.

Google touts Android activation numbers, but never actual sales numbers. Samsung announces these Galaxy S "shipment" headlines when they feel like it. They quit giving specifics in their earnings report. Same with Motorola, HTC & Sony. I wonder why?

The iPhone has competitors, but they are flailing while iP4 is flying. iPhone 5 is going to leave them even further back. The S2 is arguably the hottest 'droid right now. The Droid Bionic debuts this weekend after months of delays, but no one cares. Everyone's waiting for Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich, but will there really be that many buyers? How well have the past 2 Nexus devices sold?

The fact is the iPhone 4 design still wins the "wow factor" in most peoples' opinion. iPhone 5 will be faster and have better components. Most importantly it will have iOS 5. Apple is not worried about the competition. Apple is worried they can't make iPhones fast enough to meet demand for the remainder of this year.

There's no criticism for people who want a 4.5" screen, 4G, NFC or a physical keypad. There are companies out there who will make devices with some or all of those requirements. Apple will continue to make iPhones that the rest of the people will want.

Yeah well with your logic they will end up like rim. Stagnant because as you say they have no competition.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah well with your logic they will end up like rim. Stagnant because as you say they have no competition.

I didn't say they had no competition. I said they need to worry about making iPhones fast enough to meet demand.

Just because they don't put out a new phone every 6 months does not mean they are stagnant. The 15 month old (ancient in smartphone years) iPhone 4 is still competitive with the latest & greatest Android phone. (Yes, I know techies will argue the point. But sales numbers don't lie.) iPhone 5 will leapfrog the competition in terms of overall user experience. That's stagnant?

Apple will sell about $60 billion worth of iPhones this year. That number will be closer to $100 billion in 2012. That's just iPhones, not including iPads, iPods & Macs. That is the exact opposite of what is happening with RIM's revenue. You don't need to worry about Apple's business.

Apple's strategy is not to try and please everyone all the time. They build the best product by their standards. People get to vote with their money and the largest vote has been going to iPhone. It will be an even larger landslide margin in the next 12 months.

Like I said, it's fine to want what you want. Just don't assume that everyone else wants the same thing. Follow the money and it's very clear that most people want what Apple is making.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah I dont really buy that. If apple wanted the new iPhone to be out in July in would have. That's a shame if it is keeping the same size and just getting a small boost to internals. Since it most likely wont have LTE.

That's the great thing, you can buy it or not but stop and think about it. You really think Apple would have released a new phone 2-3 months after Verizon started selling the 4? Could you imagine the backlash they would get? No chance in hell they were doing that. All I have to say about it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say they had no competition. I said they need to worry about making iPhones fast enough to meet demand.

Just because they don't put out a new phone every 6 months does not mean they are stagnant. The 15 month old (ancient in smartphone years) iPhone 4 is still competitive with the latest & greatest Android phone. (Yes, I know techies will argue the point. But sales numbers don't lie.) iPhone 5 will leapfrog the competition in terms of overall user experience. That's stagnant?

Where did I say anything about putting out a phone every 6 months? That wasn't the stagnant I was talking about. You said they don't have any competition the only competition they have is meeting demand. Stagnant is how it took them 5 years to fix notifications, things like that is what I was talking about.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Zombie thread... I wonder if Jeremy still thinks there won't be a larger screen after all the rumors over the last 2 months?

Care you edit your post? ;)

Apple Sending iOS 5 to iPhone Assemblers at End of September, No Sign of Redesigned iPhone 5 - Mac Rumors

"seen no evidence of the rumored redesigned "iPhone 5" in the supply chain. Instead, his sources point to the "N94" iPhone that has been popularly referred to as the "iPhone 4S" as the sole new iPhone model set to ship, with Apple planning for 30 million units through the end of the year."

"3.5-inch display: A number of rumors have claimed that Apple will be using a larger display for the new iPhone, but Kuo's sources indicate the screen will be the same size as that found in the iPhone 4."

Last edited:

jerseykirby

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Where did I say anything about putting out a phone every 6 months? That wasn't the stagnant I was talking about. You said they don't have any competition the only competition they have is meeting demand. Stagnant is how it took them 5 years to fix notifications, things like that is what I was talking about.

It may have taken them all that time to "fix" notifications, but that sure as hell didn't stop anyone from buying an iPhone, jailbreaking it, and going about their days with an obviously superior device in the consumers eyes. I used to be a RIM fanatic and an Android junkie but it always seemed that I always ended back here with my iPhone. Both RIM and Google make for great devices/OS, but you can't deny that Apple hit the nail directly on the head when they came out with the iPhone. Are there things that could've been done differently? Of course, but the numbers speak for themselves. I mean, there's a reason that there are over a million iPhone 4 users on T-Mobile..........

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
And if anyone wants to say wait, why did Apple wait so long if there is no major redesign? I've given you the answer before - Verizon. Apple had to wait due to the launch of the iPhone 4 on Verizon. Take it or leave it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
And if anyone wants to say wait, why did Apple wait so long if there is no major redesign? I've given you the answer before - Verizon. Apple had to wait due to the launch of the iPhone 4 on Verizon. Take it or leave it.

Yeah I dont really buy that. If apple wanted the new iPhone to be out in July in would have. That's a shame if it is keeping the same size and just getting a small boost to internals. Since it most likely wont have LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2