iOS5 WiFi Sync is Mac-only for now

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It appears that WiFi Sync is currently only enabled in the latest iOS5 Beta (2) and iTunes 10.5 beta on the Mac. No windows love yet, which sucks because my iTunes library is on my home theater PC. Was hoping to have it working with this beta.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am not seeing that... what is necessary, setup-wise, to make wireless syncing work?

I have iTunes 10.5b2 installed on my MBP. I have iOS5b2 installed on my iPhone. My MBP and my iPhone4 are on the same wi0fi network, and my iPhone4 is connected to the wall charger.

Under Settings/General/iTunes Sync it says:

Sync will resume when '[username]' is available.

I assume the "[username]' is the MBP user name?

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am not seeing that... what is necessary, setup-wise, to make wireless syncing work?

I have iTunes 10.5b2 installed on my MBP. I have iOS5b2 installed on my iPhone. My MBP and my iPhone4 are on the same wi0fi network, and my iPhone4 is connected to the wall charger.

Under Settings/General/iTunes Sync it says:

Sync will resume when '[username]' is available.

I assume the "[username]' is the MBP user name?

On the Mac, plug in your iPhone. Click on the device in iTunes, and over where you can modify the settings like "convert high bitrate songs to 128Kbps" there should be an option for enabling wifi sync. Check that and sync wired to the laptop to confirm the settings. After that, you should be able to wifi sync just fine.

Reactions: kaelinlei and Garz

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
On the Mac, plug in your iPhone. Click on the device in iTunes, and over where you can modify the settings like "convert high bitrate songs to 128Kbps" there should be an option for enabling wifi sync. Check that and sync wired to the laptop to confirm the settings. After that, you should be able to wifi sync just fine.

Wow... not sure how I missed that one... thanks... working now...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

thanks. I needed this help too

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I did wireless sync. It got stuck on step 7. Had to reboot phone and Mac to get it out of "stuck mode"

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I did wireless sync. It got stuck on step 7. Had to reboot phone and Mac to get it out of "stuck mode"

That happened on my iPad a few times. So far smooth sailing on the iPhone. And that seems to be a issue with iTunes as the iPad showed it was done syncing.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
On my iPhone 4, I went to Settings > General > iTunes Sync and clicked Sync Now... and even though I was not connected to a power source, I was able to sync... sweet.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Something else to remember while setting up wifi sync is that once you check off wifi sync in iTunes you must then sync your device while connected in order for it to work.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So mine still get stuck on step 7 even with syncing whith a cord. At least this tine the backup complete to where I didn't need to reboot anything but iTunes was still registering the sync on step 7. Yeah I know it's all beta.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner