Thunderbolt In Next iPhone?

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Apple wants to cut the cord, not change it. Besides if they changed it now all those iPod docks and accessories probably wouldn't work.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Why not? :S

It's a waste of time for Apple to put it into iDevices right now when less than 1% of people will be able to use it. It's just out on Macs and there is no PC support. Waste of money, iPhone 6 probably; Thunderbolt and USB3.

Also, like said above Apple wants to cut the cord and get those other 50% of crazy people to start syncing.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's a waste of time for Apple to put it into iDevices right now when less than 1% of people will be able to use it. It's just out on Macs and there is no PC support. Waste of money, iPhone 6 probably; Thunderbolt and USB3.

Also, like said above Apple wants to cut the cord and get those other 50% of crazy people to start syncing.

You still need to sync your iPhone to move all of your big data over, and thunderbolt would make that process a lot faster. They're putting thunderbolt on everything now, MBP, iMac, next is MBA. Although you're right it will probably be in iPhone 6 once more people are capable of using it.

Although I'm quite sure Apple doesn't give a crap about making accessories incompatible, they've shown that many times over. :p

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You still need to sync your iPhone to move all of your big data over, and thunderbolt would make that process a lot faster. They're putting thunderbolt on everything now, MBP, iMac, next is MBA. Although you're right it will probably be in iPhone 6 once more people are capable of using it.

Although I'm quite sure Apple doesn't give a crap about making accessories incompatible, they've shown that many times over. :p

You got that right about the accessories.

In all honesty Thunderbolt means nothing to me. Why Intel did an exclusive with Apple is beyond me. Maybe they missed what happened to firewire. I'm probably going to get a new computer later this year, a lost customer right here. It will have USB3 for sure and then I'm out of the market for years and I won't buy any Thunderbolt products because my computer won't have it. Wasted opportunity IMO for Intel.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
No ThunderBolt in iOS devices unless they fundamentally change the architecture. ThunderBolt is basically PCI Express, which works fantastically well on computer boards but doesn't exist in iOS devices. They may bridge USB 3 and offer that, though.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
No ThunderBolt in iOS devices unless they fundamentally change the architecture. ThunderBolt is basically PCI Express, which works fantastically well on computer boards but doesn't exist in iOS devices. They may bridge USB 3 and offer that, though.

But they aren't putting USB3 on the Macs, so what would be the point?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Thunderbolt is alot faster at 1GB per second :eek: but I just don't see Apple putting it into an iOS device. This would be more of an Android move, a flashy buzz word to get people to use it. It would be phenomenal and especially since Apple was the first one out the door with it, it definitely would get it out there in terms of use.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

I was also unaware of this, interesting. So they can't just add it to one of the pins in the dock connector?

@Jellotime, when Intel gets USB3 support built into their chipsets I assume Apple move to USB3. The next gen core series chips are supposed to have USB3 support on board so manufacturers won't have to put in their own controllers anymore.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it'll be on the new iPhone...hell, i'd be happy if they'd release ANYTHING that worked with thunderbolt right now, i've got a thunderbolt drive that does nothing but run a mini-DP cable that macbooks have been able to run for years now, lol.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2