Verizon Iphone switch to iphone 5

apppleloverJH

May 4, 2011
Visit site
If I have the Verizon Iphone 4 and if my mom decides to upgrade to the Verizon Iphone 5 when it comes out, can we switch phones and then transfer the plans to the other phone? For example, if she gives me her Iphone 5 can I switch my plan I am locked into with 3g unlimited data plan to the new phone and she put whatever plan she would have to get on the iphone 5?

Also, if someone does not or can not use the data plan much can they cancel it?

Topgunner

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Data plans

For one, I think these questions are best directed to the VZW store. However, who's to say that they won't have a unlimited plan then too....Secondly, I believe if you have a smart phone vzw requires you to have some type of data plan, but like I said earlier vzw would be the one to ask.:cool:

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
99% sure you have to have the $29.99 data plan with any smartphone. Also, are you on the same account? If so then the phone can be switched without voiding the warranty. If you're not and you switch, the warranty is voided.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If I have the Verizon Iphone 4 and if my mom decides to upgrade to the Verizon Iphone 5 when it comes out, can we switch phones and then transfer the plans to the other phone? For example, if she gives me her Iphone 5 can I switch my plan I am locked into with 3g unlimited data plan to the new phone and she put whatever plan she would have to get on the iphone 5?

Also, if someone does not or can not use the data plan much can they cancel it?

You absolutely, 100% need a data plan with Verizon to have a smartphone. Basically if you want to cancel your data plan, you need to switch to a dumbphone.

Are you guys on a family plan? If so, you can just transfer the the upgrade to your line.

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
As for the switching phones, yes you can switch phones if you want. It won't void the warranty, I have done this many times. In fact I just did this with the iPhone 2 weeks ago. Not sure about the data plans, I don't think it's possible because when I tried this last october they told me no.

apppleloverJH

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I pretty much get that you have the data plan. No we are not on a family plan, but maybe we can switch to one. I just want to know if verizon will let us switch phones so I can keep my plan and phone number and she can keep hers? I am not worried about warranty. I have insurance on my phone through squaretrade and I will let her keep it and then get a new plan for the iphone 5? Just wondering if this would work. Seems like a great plan. She does not really care if she has the newest and greatest phone. Then I figured when my plan is up I can get the iphone 6 and then give the 5 to her?? Not sure this would all work, but it sounds good in theory! If anyone can confirm any of this or has tried it that would be great.

Laurieg

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can turn the new phone on with your number and plan and she can take your old phone and do the do the same. You do not have to be on the same plan.
I've done it.
It may require a phone call to customer service, if I remember correctly.
If you think about it, it's no different then buying a phone from a 3rd party and turning it on.
Just because your mom upgraded to the Iphone 5 doesn't mean she HAS to use it. She can use any phone she wants on her number. Plus she has the right to sell or give away her phone for someone else to use.
When you upgrade and extend your contract for 2 years, it's for the phone number, not the phone. You can add and remove data plans and any other feature all you want. You just have to pay for the line for 2 years.

Reactions: apppleloverJH

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234