Which AT&T MVNO's do you guys prefer?

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I had Straight Talk, but they kept threatening to cut me off for data usage, when I wasn't doing much. I recently got a TMobile plan, but I expected edge to be at least 50kBps (bytes not bits), but it isn't. I don't want to go back to ST, but I'm unsure what my other options are. I am factory unlocked, but afaik that rules out CDMA, so I was wondering which carriers you guys have had good experiences with.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had Straight Talk, but they kept threatening to cut me off for data usage, when I wasn't doing much. I recently got a TMobile plan, but I expected edge to be at least 50kBps (bytes not bits), but it isn't. I don't want to go back to ST, but I'm unsure what my other options are. I am factory unlocked, but afaik that rules out CDMA, so I was wondering which carriers you guys have had good experiences with.

Why go MVNO? Why not just use AT&T?

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Which AT&T MVNO's do you guys prefer?

I don't want a(nother) contract, it's my backup phone, and I don't like AT&T's business practices, and find that some 3rd parties can be better at dealing with AT&T, as my Independent ISP is when they have to fix something on AT&T's end.

---------- Post Merged at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:50 PM ----------

I don't want a(nother) contract, it's my backup phone, and I don't like AT&T's business practices, and find that some 3rd parties can be better at dealing with AT&T, as my Independent ISP is when they have to fix something on AT&T's end.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Since u already own the iPhone the is no contract with at&t, just month to month like the others except u can use ur phone to the fullest of its capabilities.

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to have H2O and use the $60 plan which included 2GB data with unlimited talk and text. Also my wife had it and we were of with it for a while. I finally decided to go with AT&T but went month to month since we both own iPhones 4 and 4s. We have that new Mobile Share plan and the reason I got it was for the shared 6GB plan on both phones and a hotspot for my mother to use out in the ranch. Aside from that I would still be with H2O but I will admit their Customer Service is not the best.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought about h2o, but I want to keep it $50 or under if possible, as ST was $48, and T-Mobile is $50. Is h2o's 500mb plan, 500mb, then throttled, or 500mb then overages? All I see is "Speeds can be slowed to 3G/2G speeds and subject to H2O?s Authorized Use Policy" which doesn't say "After monthly usage is reached", so I'm unsure.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Quick question bobbob1016, how much data were you using when StraighTalk threatened to cut you off?
Im on Sprint now and am thinking of going to ST next year..

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd used 2.5gb or so, no torrents, no tethering, no netflix, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Second time it was 2.0gb, they throttled me. Their phone support bounced me around, and said I'd have to talk to a department that was closed at that moment. I messaged someone on their forums, that had fixed it the last time they throttled me, and she stated that I was violating their "TOS part 6" or something, where it says no torrents/tethering. I don't even torrent from home, short of Ubuntu 12.10 the other day, and I don't tether, as I have home internet. I don't like being threatened with a disconnect over something that doesn't apply to me.

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
For H2O, once you get to 500MB or 2GB, depending on plan, you lose data until your next month's payment, but they do have what's called a Feature Card, which allows you to buy extra data until your next monthly payment.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd be ok with StraightTalk if they outright said "We throttle after 2 gig". Same with H2O, but I can get through 500mb too easily.

FFSJared

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

I use Net10 (which, is essentially Straight Talk/Tracfone, anyway), and use 3GB+ a month and haven't gotten a termination threat. I don't know if the Net10 division is more lax or if I've gotten lucky, but maybe it's something you can look into? I've also heard good things about Red Pocket, although they cut the data to 1GB.

- - - Updated - - -

I use Net10 (which, is essentially Straight Talk/Tracfone, anyway), and use 3GB+ a month and haven't gotten a termination threat. I don't know if the Net10 division is more lax or if I've gotten lucky, but maybe it's something you can look into? I've also heard good things about Red Pocket, although they cut the data to 1GB.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

And I thought Net10 was CDMA. I'll look at them then. They're at BestBuy, right?

- - - Updated - - -

And I thought Net10 was CDMA. I'll look at them then. They're at BestBuy, right?

dougdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Well I'm using Straight Talk on my iPhone 5 and on my wife's iPhone 4S. We both stream music everyday when we are working out, I've never experience any throttling or cutouts on my data service. I don't get LTE on my iPhone 5 but is 4G, and although is not as fast as LTE, is very fast. I'm happy with the service, however I haven't dealt with the customer service yet so I can't give my opinion in this regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I'm using Straight Talk on my iPhone 5 and on my wife's iPhone 4S. We both stream music everyday when we are working out, I've never experience any throttling or cutouts on my data service. I don't get LTE on my iPhone 5 but is 4G, and although is not as fast as LTE, is very fast. I'm happy with the service, however I haven't dealt with the customer service yet so I can't give my opinion in this regard.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd be ok with Straight Talk if it wasn't for the cancellation threats. I understand if I use a lot of data, they have to throttle, but they can *easily* see if I'm torrenting/tethering, so if I am, why not only threaten then?

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its probably market driven.
I listen to the Android Central podcast and several times MVNOs got brought up, and 2 or 3 of the guys say they use straight talk.
On one episode one of the guys mentions he used a lot of data and has not gotten any notifications.. After that they talked for a minute about how they think it is market dependednt on why you would get a notification of over usage / throttling..

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That'd make some sense, I'm in SE Florida. Would be a lot of people on the towers, but I'd still prefer a heads up, or at least not a threat. If they want to throttle at 2.5 gigs, or whichever, fine, but don't threaten to cut me off and say it's unlimited is all I mean I guess.

Last edited: