Can I wipe/reset an iPhone 4 without iTunes?

dna47

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Long story short, my GF hadn't used her iphone 4 since May but last week she decided to turn it on and play with it a little. Unfortunately, she forgot her password and the phone is now disabled. No problem I thought! Just plug it in to Itunes and restore, but alas, every time I plug the iphone, itunes crashes. I Deleted/reinstalled itunes but it still does the same. Tried with my old ipod touch 4th gen and it connects without a problem.

is there any other tool that can reset an iphone? I tried with Icloud but find my iphone is turned off :mad:.

is there any other way? or has anyone encountered this problem with itunes and found a fix?

I use a Z30 and i know nothing of iphones and quite frankly i hate Itunes.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Put the device in DFU Mode, connect it to your computer via USB, and when iTunes detect that the device is in recovery, select to restore and update it. I know you stated that iTunes crashes when the device is connected, but removing iTunes, then rebooting the computer, and then reinstalling iTunes coupled with putting the device in DFU mode should be sufficient.

dna47

May 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Tried that. But no matter what I do, every time I connect the usb cable the iphone turns on.

The home button doesn't always work, that's the reason she switched phones. She had to press the home button 2-3 times for it to work and I'm not getting lucky enough for it to work when I'm trying to go into DFU.

I also tried to use iTunes on another computer, but when I connect the phone it tells me that I need to give access to the computer from the phone, but I can't since I can't get into the phone. Is there any fix for that?

Posted via iMore App

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Tried that. But no matter what I do, every time I connect the usb cable the iphone turns on.

The home button doesn't always work, that's the reason she switched phones. She had to press the home button 2-3 times for it to work and I'm not getting lucky enough for it to work when I'm trying to go into DFU.

I also tried to use iTunes on another computer, but when I connect the phone it tells me that I need to give access to the computer from the phone, but I can't since I can't get into the phone. Is there any fix for that?

Posted via iMore App
Without a workable power button, your options are basically nonexistent.

dna47

May 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

No doubt. What kind of computer do you have, and what version of iTunes are you trying to use?

I have a Toshiba Satellite s955d running windows 8.1 and I have the latest iTunes version, 11.4 if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for your help!

Posted via iMore App

dna47

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Bump! Someone has to have a solution for iTunes crashing!!

Posted via the iMore App for Android with my BlackBerry Z30

dna47

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Last bump before i destroy this device...

did the win10 update last month and i thought that maybe that could fix the itunes crash, so today i tried again connecting the damn phone to itunes and it still crashes for some reason. if i connect my 4s it doesn't crash.

anybody ever face this issue and can give me some help?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal