Am I stuck on iOS 7?

User788

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have never liked iOS 7 on iPhone 4. It is so slow and laggy. The 7.1 update don't improve it by much either.

I have taken a look at how to downgrade to iOS 6 but I know that SHSH blobs are needed for it. I downloaded iFaith and looked up for a available blob after connecting it via USB to my computer - unfortunately there are none. Entering the ECID of the phone also results in no blobs.

I understand that there was originally a way to easily downgrade, up until the start of this year when Apple blocked it.

There seems to be one way of downgrading but it is tethered, meaning it will require connection to the computer everytime I want to turn it on.

So is that it? Am I hopeless now? Have I ruined this wonderful phone with this stupid OS upgrade?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What part of iOS 7 did you not like? I don't like the look. I prefer textures and shadows. All that bright white with washed out gray lines and text is horrible IMHO. But I liked the new features.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but once you're on 7.x you'll be there for good. I'd update to the latest 7.1.2 for the iPhone 4; it made mine run much smoother than it had on earlier builds. Still not like my iPhone 5 of course, but it certainly usable, in my opinion.

Only other option is to swap it with someone else who is still on 6.x.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Update it to iOS 7.1.2. Uninstall the apps that you don't use anymore. I'd recommend to delete the games. Don't keep your text messages history for a long period and clean it out twice a week. You'll be good to go.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ah, that's a bummer. iOS 7 is not great on the 4. It's because the A4 processor just doesn't hold up to all of the animations and what not. I actually just returned to a 4 because my moto x fell and the screen cracked! I do really love android, but the experience back with apple hasn't been bad so far. I took my moms old 4 because she recently got a 5S. Luckily, she was still running 6.1.3 and that's what I'm staying at. Playing with my dads 4 with iOS 7 is.. Pretty bad.

I'm sorry, but like already said there is no way to downgrade back to ios 6. :/ I'd try and maybe sell the 4 or trade for at least a 5. You'd have to throw out cash though too. Or just live with 7 up on your 4. Sorry bud.

Blake

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Update it to iOS 7.1.2. Uninstall the apps that you don't use anymore. I'd recommend to delete the games. Don't keep your text messages history for a long period and clean it out twice a week. You'll be good to go.

Even with doing that, it's still going to be laggy. It's pretty unbearable. At least for someone like me who doesn't like stuffers on their phone.

User788

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You're right, mynameis. Even doing all those things that Haseeb Rahman has said is simply not enough. Even if the phone would be factory resetted, and have all apps deleted and all data, it will still struggle.

Apple has humiliated their iPhone 4 customers.

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
You're right, mynameis. Even doing all those things that Haseeb Rahman has said is simply not enough. Even if the phone would be factory resetted, and have all apps deleted and all data, it will still struggle.

How have they humiliated anyone? And what makes you think this is issue is specific to Apple? Technology will always get outdated. Software will always keep getting better, and as more and more features are piled on the hardware needs to get better or it will lag. This is gonna happen with PCs, Macs, Androids, and everything else.

I don't think Apple has humiliated iPhone 4 customers in anyway. The only thing they did wrong IMO is not allowing users to downgrade back to iOS 6, but they have legit reasons for that too.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily saying that they humiliated there iPhone 4 customers. I was just saying that the hardware couldn't keep up on the 4 for iOS 7.

User788

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
How have they humiliated anyone? And what makes you think this is issue is specific to Apple? Technology will always get outdated. Software will always keep getting better, and as more and more features are piled on the hardware needs to get better or it will lag. This is gonna happen with PCs, Macs, Androids, and everything else.

I don't think Apple has humiliated iPhone 4 customers in anyway. The only thing they did wrong IMO is not allowing users to downgrade back to iOS 6, but they have legit reasons for that too.

It feels like they didn't even test the OS on the 4. If they tested they should've spotted how slow the processor handles it. Well they went ahead with it, but at least give us a choice to downgrade. But no, there is no choice and we're stuck. I was a very happy Apple customer before the permanent update.

It's humiliation because a device that was working so well and was just perfect and lovely, has now been wasted. If at least they could've allowed a downgrade to iOS 6, I would still be happy with them and would not get humiliated. Apple have done a bad move to their own customers. If they wanted to keep the customer happy they should've allowed downgrading.

Technology always gets outdated? Yes I agree with that and it's a fact. But the problem here is that Apple have glued us onto iOS 7 and has restricted us to downgrade should we wish to. Also should this be a PC, we could've upgraded CPU or RAM etc. which is not possible on a smartphone. On a PC, if I would be unhappy with Windows 8, I can always downgrade to 7 or XP or whatever when I want to. I would be happier in the aftermath. The point here is the lack of downgrading.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It was said from the beginning that iOS 7 would be rough on the iPhone 4. That was discussed on many sites before the update last September.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have never liked iOS 7 on iPhone 4. It is so slow and laggy. The 7.1 update don't improve it by much either.

I have taken a look at how to downgrade to iOS 6 but I know that SHSH blobs are needed for it. I downloaded iFaith and looked up for a available blob after connecting it via USB to my computer - unfortunately there are none. Entering the ECID of the phone also results in no blobs.

I understand that there was originally a way to easily downgrade, up until the start of this year when Apple blocked it.

There seems to be one way of downgrading but it is tethered, meaning it will require connection to the computer everytime I want to turn it on.

So is that it? Am I hopeless now? Have I ruined this wonderful phone with this stupid OS upgrade?

If you haven't already, I would update to 7.1.2. After that, go into settings and accessibility if you flip off the animations and reduce contrast, it'll speed up your iPhone 4 pretty nicely. I recently updated to 7.1.2 and did this on my 4, and it works pretty darn good. Still some hiccups, yes. But what do you expect? The phone is about 4 years old. But it's at least tolerable for me, and I hate laggy phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjgrask

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
What part of iOS 7 did you not like? I don't like the look. I prefer textures and shadows. All that bright white with washed out gray lines and text is horrible IMHO. But I liked the new features.

I hate what it did to my camera, won't take a clear bright picture any more. Phone was slow before, now it is laughable slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wastelands

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
It would be better for Apple to make some refund for handset replacement to newer hardware than leaving people dealing with all that freezes...

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My boyfriend was using my iPhone 4 as an iPod touch for quite a few months up until recently. He always complained about how laggy it was when it was running iOS 6. I reluctantly finally updated it to iOS 7 and he still complained. I'm tempted to take the SIM out of my Nokia Lumia 925 and test it out on the iPhone to see just how it runs.