Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,055 Global Posts

Default Who is finally upgrading from the iPhone 4 this time?

I have had my iPhone 4 for a long time now. I think I am ready to get the iPhone 5s or whatever it's called when it releases this fall. Not because my iPhone 4 is faulty or laggy etc... It's a great smartphone. Just curious as to what everyone thinks who still rock the iPhone 4.

Are you waiting to see what iOS7 is like? Or are you just content with the iPhone 4 and when it breaks you'll go for it. Just curious. 📱

Global Posts
    15,529 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Default Re: Who is finally upgrading this time?

I will go to the 5S or what ever it is. but not right away...
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Beginner

When the 5s comes out I think them I will get the 5.

Sent from my iPhone 4
    iMore Intermediate

I still have till next April so I will probably wait until the 6 or get the 32/64gb 5s. I have plenty of time to think about it lol

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I’ll be buying the next version of the iPhone as soon as it’s available. #howIroll
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I'm due for a partial upgrade through AT&T now and a full upgrade in April 2014, so I'm going to wait until Apple announces the 5S or 6 before making my final decision.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

My 4, which I've kept current and is now running iOS 6.1.3, works just fine for me. In truth, there's been nothing in hardware (or frankly, software) 'improvements' since I got it that has piqued my interest in considering a newer iPhone. My current Plan runs out in February 2014 and I'll see what options are available to me then for an updated device. That said, I'm a big believer in IIABDFI (If It ain't Broke...), so I'm not one to rush out and get the latest and shiniest simply because it's new.
    Then again, for the last couple of months, I've been using a Nexus 7 tablet and despite what some Apple fans may rant, Android is not the Devil's Spawn. While there are some definite advantages to having an Apple product where I live (walking distance to an Apple Store if - or when - it breaks), I'm not yet completely against the idea of an Android phone.

We'll see what the New Year brings.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts

I couldn't wait I upgraded to the 5 and loving it I was thinking the 5s/6 will look like the 5 but have its advantages but as soon as a jailbreak comes in for 6.1.4 or os 7 I wouldn't be that far form the latest greatest
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts

I went from a 4 to a 5 when the second batch of iPhone 5 was available and have no regrets and see the improvements from the 4 to the 5
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Definitely will be "upgrading." Although I will be paying full retail price to keep unlimited data on VZW.
    iPhone Newbie

i'am not sure if i'am going to get next year model yet i will have to watch WWDC
    see what new features are going to be installed and see if it would be worth the upgrade.I thought the upgrade from the iPhone 3GS to the 4S would be worth the money.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,602 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had the 5 sold it and went back to the 4 and I'm very content with it. It does all I need it to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,055 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    I had the 5 sold it and went back to the 4 and I'm very content with it. It does all I need it to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    You know what - I'm with you on that. The 4 works for me. And I can't see any must-have features being revealed.

I might be a nice husbeast and get my spousal unit the 5 or 5s - I might stick with the 4 for now.....
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts
    iOS Version

We've been playing upgrade roulette in my house. My Wife is actually using my upgrade this week to get her first smartphone (the 5). My daughter had used my wife's. So I get my daughter's upgrade in Feb 2014. I def want to upgrade as the 4 has started to feel laggy to me, and a lot of that is due to now also having an ipad mini with a faster chip.

If the only phone were the 5 at that time I would get it. I'd like a "5s". If there is something on the horizon of next spring/summer, I might be torn and want to wait again, but honestly, I prob will just upgrade to whatever is avail come Feb.

Global Posts
    14,472 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Who is finally upgrading from the iPhone 4 this time?

My 4s does everything I need it to do for now. I have an upgrade available in Oct/Nov. I'm going to get the 5s or whatever it is but probably not right away.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    My 4s does everything I need it to do for now. I have an upgrade available in Oct/Nov. I'm going to get the 5s or whatever it is but probably not right away.
    I am on a 4s with no upgrade until February 2014. I should be on though...

Live Long and Prosper using Tapatalk II
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,830 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I upgrade every year .. Ill pre order and have release day

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

since I'm currently using a gnex and hate it, I don't even plan on waiting until the 5s I'd just assume get the 5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts

I bought an iPhone 4 in late February 2012 and upgraded to the iPhone 5 in late April 2013. The iPhone 4 was starting to show its age. Don't get me wrong though - it served me well.
    http://mowned.com/sig/chip72.jpg

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    iMore Newbie

I've had the 4 over two years now, and it works as well as on day 1, but I'll be getting the 5s and passing the 4 down to one of the young'uns. 😊

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    iPhone Beginner

My iphone 4s is the first iphone i bought when it came out, and i immediately thought to myself, 'man, this is the greatest phone i have ever used!'
    When the i5 came out, i skipped the upgrade because me still loving my i4s! Also, i very much prefer the overall design of the i4 models to the i5 - especially the back & the sides.
    The only reason i will be upgrading to the i5s or i6 (whatever they call it) is for pure 'luxury' of staying up to date with the latest technology & capabilities.
    Sadly, that wont be happening soon as i've got bank loan to pay! And i will have to purchase 2 instead of 1, or else what will the wife think lol!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by the_stig#WN View Post
    I have had my iPhone 4 for a long time now. I think I am ready to get the iPhone 5s or whatever it's called when it releases this fall. Not because my iPhone 4 is faulty or laggy etc... It's a great smartphone. Just curious as to what everyone thinks who still rock the iPhone 4.

Are you waiting to see what iOS7 is like? Or are you just content with the iPhone 4 and when it breaks you'll go for it. Just curious. ��
    I just replaced my battery and since iOS7 is supported I'll wait it out one more cycle for whatever comes out in 2014.
    "Fall down seven. Stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb