I'm a LONG time Droid user, I've never owned an Iphone, until now... help

dream0fjenni

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok so my husband and I spent a TON of money getting the Note 2's with Verizon for our business, won't get into the details, but we're no longer able to afford the HUGE Verizon bill so we've switched to Sprint (which is over $100 cheaper for UNLIMITED!) and got the free iphone 4. I do know that there are better iphone's, but we took a hit recently and really needed free!

So now on to... what do I do with an iphone? I've never owned one before and I haven't even gotten it in the mail yet (should be here by Wednesday), I'm kind of freaking out because I literally know NOTHING about I-ANYTHING! Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, welcome to iMore. :) Now in regard to your question, simply use your device in the manner in which you use your Note 2. Configuring the iPhone is a walk in the park so don't worry about that. It is a truly powerful device that is simple to use. Trust me on that. If you can use an Android device, you will no problem using the iPhone. Below are links to various items that may be of assistance to you:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Apple - iPhone 4 - Learn some helpful iPhone tips and tricks.

50 Tips and Tricks for iOS 6 | Mac|Life

dream0fjenni

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you :) I think I'm just freaking out b/c I'm so used to google. My husband keeps telling me 'Well, maybe we'll like it' lol, but I'm too scared for that right now. I'm 29 years and have never even played with someone else's Iphone! I will check out those links... Thank you again!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're very welcome and remember, the iPhone is famous for its elegant design, build quality, OS support and its 'ease of use' and Apple itself is unmatched in regard to its customer service. It's number one for a reason. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In addition let me also welcome you to the iMore forums. You chose the right place to get your info and no question gets overlooked when you need help. [TIP]To get ready for the arrival of your phone (Phones) you may like to go to the Apple website and download iTunes, Install it and get used to the interface, Browse the App Store and download the apps that interest you. This will make things easier for you once you get the phones, Hook them to your computer to sync with Itunes. You will already be use to it. Best of luck and let us know if you need further help. ;) Link for you to iTunes: https://www.apple.com/itunes/#mn_p[/TIP]

dream0fjenni

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thank you! I was thinking about that already, browsing the App Store, but wasn't sure how to go about it lol. Is there any other way to download music, just curious, or do you have to pay for each song?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
thank you! I was thinking about that already, browsing the App Store, but wasn't sure how to go about it lol. Is there any other way to download music, just curious, or do you have to pay for each song?
For the most part in the music store it is paid for music but if you and your husband have a fairly good selection of Music CDs I would recommend going into iTunes once installed and going to properties, Look it over and view the options you have, Select that when you place a CD in your computer with iTunes opened it will rip the music off the CD automatically and place them in your library along with downloading the album art and then you can start your own. That's all there is to it. Apple has an extensive data base of how to do anything you want but if you need to ask questions here feel free. Have a great evening and best of luck.

dream0fjenni

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok so it's not like with Android where you can just download a free music app?

That is pretty cool... my husband will love that because he does have a lot of CD's!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so it's not like with Android where you can just download a free music app?
You would have to go to the App Store to look for apps dealing with music. As far as i know the Music Store are ALL paid music for download

That is pretty cool... my husband will love that because he does have a lot of CD's!

That is what I do and I guess I have over 200 or maybe more Cds in my library. He will love it and easy too.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
For the most part in the music store it is paid for music but if you and your husband have a fairly good selection of Music CDs I would recommend going into iTunes once installed and going to properties, Look it over and view the options you have, Select that when you place a CD in your computer with iTunes opened it will rip the music off the CD automatically and place them in your library along with downloading the album art and then you can start your own. That's all there is to it. Apple has an extensive data base of how to do anything you want but if you need to ask questions here feel free. Have a great evening and best of luck.

It is also worth noting... If you already have CDs backed up to your computer iTunes can find those files and import them. There is no need to rip a CD that is already on your computer. What JustMe'D and Jaguarr40 have said regarding the ease of transition is true. I recently came from Blackberry and had no trouble getting started with an iPhone. Just be sure to come back to iMore and ask if you have any questions. Don't break something first like I tend to do before I ask advice. :)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, came to iPhone a month ago, and have say it is one of the easiest phones to learn how to use. Definitely check out the link above for tips, helped me a lot.

dream0fjenni

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I got my phone this morning... It's actually pretty simple, more so then I expected. The biggest issue I've come across is trying to figure out navigating from one thing to another. Like when I'm on one page and then I go to my text msg, I don't know if I can go back to what I was doing without having to go back to the home screen and starting over lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I got my phone this morning... It's actually pretty simple, more so then I expected. The biggest issue I've come across is trying to figure out navigating from one thing to another. Like when I'm on one page and then I go to my text msg, I don't know if I can go back to what I was doing without having to go back to the home screen and starting over lol.

Just double tap on the home button to see a listing of your recently used apps. Tap on the one you want to go to.

Spencer Freebairn

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
This is a minor thing, but I think it is a cool feature of iOS. You can customize "shortcuts" for when you are typing.

Navigate to:
Settings>General>Keyboard>Add new shortcut.

This will replace the "shortcut" with a selected phrase, word, etc. In the "phrase" box, type what you want the shortcut to be. In the "shortcut" box, type the word that you want to have replaced. For example, when I type "email", it is replaced with my email address. You could also use it for text talk such as "brb", and have it replaced with "be right back".

Attachments

• IMG_0172.PNG
    IMG_0172.PNG
    583.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0177.PNG
    IMG_0177.PNG
    162.4 KB · Views: 43

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess your plan really just depends on how long term this phone is going to be and how long you plan on staying within iOS. If it's a temporary thing, and you plan to move back to the android environment, then spending money on suggested apps will be a little futile, and i would probably just stick with the basics (all of which can be found with simple searches on the forum and google).

If you have a plan to go with the Apple ecosystem in the future, and maybe even venture outside of the iPhone into other Apple products, we could list stuff for days (again, searching the forums and google are going to be your best bet). iOS is such a simple operating system and has such a clean and no non-sense UI that getting the hang of it is honestly a matter of a few days usage. Beyond that you have jailbreaking, a plethora of apps to use and stuff that (at least right now) are kind of beyond the basics that you should probably get down first.

dream0fjenni

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I really am surprised at how easy it is. The only drawback is going down TWO inches in the screen size, but the screen is SUPER clear so it hasn't been as hard as far as reading as I thought. I like that it's not cluttered with all the crap my droids all seem to be loaded with!
OH, not loving the battery life though!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Try adjusting your brightness setting on your device. It helped with my battery life. Go to settings>brightness and wallpaper, turn off the brightness. Now go into a dimly lit room and turn on the brightness setting to the lowest setting that you can see comfortably. Then go into a well lit room and you'll notice the setting will adjust to the light. It made a difference in my battery life. Good luck and welcome to iMore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro