Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default [HELP PLEASE] Updating my iPhone 4

since i'm a new guy, i'll start off by saying hello to everyone on this forum!

i haven't updated my jailbroken iphone for a very long time now and i'm pretty much having a struggle going anywhere with it. i am not able to download pretty much any application since they all require a more advanced version as well as not being able to update different applications due to the old version i am currently running. so clearly, this requires a change.

as i mentioned before, i haven't updated my iphone for a very long time now. therefore, i'm having a struggle with recalling what will/will not happen as a result of the update and to tell you the truth, i'm quite afraid of taking any step further with it without having consulted anyone.

so, what i'd like to know is:

1. how can i properly update my jailbroken iphone 4?

2. what will the update keep and/or delete? (i'm really concerned about it deleting photos, videos, notes and much more!)

3. if anything goes wrong, is there a way to recover data? (i heard there's this backup thingy but i'm not really sure what it backs up and what it doesn't)

Version: 4.2.1

THANK YOU in advance!

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: [HELP PLEASE] Updating my iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by mms4life View Post
    since i'm a new guy, i'll start off by saying hello to everyone on this forum!

i haven't updated my jailbroken iphone for a very long time now and i'm pretty much having a struggle going anywhere with it. i am not able to download pretty much any application since they all require a more advanced version as well as not being able to update different applications due to the old version i am currently running. so clearly, this requires a change.

as i mentioned before, i haven't updated my iphone for a very long time now. therefore, i'm having a struggle with recalling what will/will not happen as a result of the update and to tell you the truth, i'm quite afraid of taking any step further with it without having consulted anyone.

so, what i'd like to know is:

1. how can i properly update my jailbroken iphone 4?

2. what will the update keep and/or delete? (i'm really concerned about it deleting photos, videos, notes and much more!)

3. if anything goes wrong, is there a way to recover data? (i heard there's this backup thingy but i'm not really sure what it backs up and what it doesn't)

Version: 4.2.1

THANK YOU in advance!
    If you're wanting to upgrade your current jailbreak to the latest jailbreak then I can't help you and hopefully, someone with jailbreaking experience can chime in and offer assistance. On the other hand, if you simply want to upgrade your jailbroken device to the latest iOS version then I recommend that you connect your device to your computer and then select 'restore' via the computer's iTunes app. If iTunes is not installed, download and install the latest version. During the upgrade via iTunes, your data, settings & homescreens, etcetera will be backed up. iTunes will download & install a fresh & complete copy of the latest iOS version. After the process is complete, your data, settings & homescreens should be the way they were prior to the upgrade, but I'm not sure about your jailbreak stuff. That is why I suggest that you upload your photos, videos & music to your computer, an external drive or a cloud service prior to upgrading, just in case. Also, if your calendar(s), reminders & notes are not associated with the likes of Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, etcetera, you might want to export them just in case. Finally, if you've taken the aforementioned steps, you should be able to restore your stuff should you need to.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default [HELP PLEASE] Updating my iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    If you're wanting to upgrade your current jailbreak to the latest jailbreak then I can't help you and hopefully, someone with jailbreaking experience can chime in and offer assistance. On the other hand
    Don't use the update feature on iTunes if you have a jailbreak. Simply restore it, update, and jailbreak last.

Tapatalking dead
    Last edited by ovalfastlx; 02-26-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: [HELP PLEASE] Updating my iPhone 4

This will allow you to preserve your JB data in the cloud and restore it once done... But you have to pay... There is a tutorial here.
    How To Preserve Your Jailbreak Apps and Settings Between iOS Upgrades

There is also this method which works well and is free.
    Backup Your Cydia Tweaks & Preferences Using OpenBackup For iOS

Hope one of them works for you.

-EDIT-

A standard iTunes backup will save your pictures and device settings, then use the restore function to update to iOS6. Once that is done use the evasi0n tool to jailbreak after restoring your data. If you really want to save your data, copy it all to your PC somewhere, but iTunes should be okay.

When restoring you will lose your data that is why you back up to iTunes before you restore. Then all your data will be safe.

The two links I posted above will get your Jailbreak data back after you update. Some apps may not work with iOS6 though.
    Was Cracked, not going back...
    Thanked by:
    ovalfastlx (02-26-2013)