Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default What is usable when you cancel phone service

I am going to be studying abroad so my iphone 4 will not work as a phone while I am in the other country. That is fine I'm going to buy a cheap phone to use there. My question is, if I cancel my phone line and service while I am gone, will my iphone still work to pick up the internet when in a wifi area, similar to how an ipod touch works? Thanks
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: What is usable when you cancel phone service

Quote Originally Posted by Pat A View Post
    I am going to be studying abroad so my iphone 4 will not work as a phone while I am in the other country. That is fine I'm going to buy a cheap phone to use there. My question is, if I cancel my phone line and service while I am gone, will my iphone still work to pick up the internet when in a wifi area, similar to how an ipod touch works? Thanks
    Absolutely! They're great for that, and the camera is nice to have as well. You'll also be able to use all your apps, etc, over wifi and could use Skype to make calls. Just make sure your service is actually off so you don't run up roaming fees. (Putting it on Airplane Mode is always a good idea as well.)

If you're eligible to unlock your phone, you could also just get a new SIM card overseas, assuming you have a GSM phone, and continue to use it as a phone as well.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: What is usable when you cancel phone service

You can also use it to control iHome devices or attach it as a controller to various robot projects. Or as the other iPhone Genius said use it as an iPod.