Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Can't Unlock or Activate iPhone 4

Hi all,
    I was recently given my sis-in-law's iPhone 4. The catch is that I have to unlock it to use with Vodafone - easy enough right?

I went into that provider's store and they said iPhones have a unique procedure & have to be unlocked over the phone (they gave me a support number) - they wouldn't even look at the device.
    So I called the mob from home who said they need an IMEI number & go into settings to get it. The problem is that I can't get into the OS of the phone - it wants to activate and will only do so with a SIM card from 'the correct provider'. The support person simply said that t shouldn't do that, so was no real help. So it seems I can't unlock the phone without the IMEI, but can't get the IMEI without unlocking the phone to activate it.

I even tried connecting to iTunes and doing it that way - same thing. It offered to try recovery mode so I did this (and it updated), but returned to the same error:
    This iPhone is not currently setup to work with carrier you're attempting to use. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked.""

If I take the SIM out, it gives a similar error and requests a SIM be inserted to activate.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do from here?
    Thanks
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Can't Unlock or Activate iPhone 4

Ok, cancel this - The IMEI is available in the deactivated stage by clicking on the little information '

Phone now unlocked