Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Imessage

I have purshased a second hand Iphone 4. I am tried to use Imessage but when I turn on, ask me the password from old owner ID apple.
    I can't contact him. What can I do? How can I change Imessage to my own ID apple? Thank you
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Imessage

You'll need to restore the phone as new either by plugging it into iTunes or choosing the setting to erase all data.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default Imessage

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You'll need to restore the phone as new either by plugging it into iTunes or choosing the setting to erase all data.

If the device is jailbroken, DO NOT reset thru the "erase all data" in settings. Use iTunes and restore as new.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    If the device is jailbroken, DO NOT reset thru the "erase all data" in settings. Use iTunes and restore as new.
    If you're jailbroken, either of these methods will remove the jailbreak. Please see the jailbreak forum for more information if this is the case.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default Imessage

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If you're jailbroken, either of these methods will remove the jailbreak. Please see the jailbreak forum for more information if this is the case.

Restoring thru the erase all data setting will leave the OP in a continuous boot loop. Which is why he must restore thru iTunes if jailbroken.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Restoring thru the erase all data setting will leave the OP in a continuous boot loop. Which is why he must restore thru iTunes if jailbroken.
    Good point - I'd forgotten that. I never recommend that method anyway as it takes so much longer than restoring through iTunes. It is, of course, the only method for non-jailbroken users who don't have a computer.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,779 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

You can also go into the send/receive portion of the "Messages" settings, sign out of the old account and remove any of the previous owners information, then sign in with your information (as well as saving it to the phone). This is not optimal though because any apps the previous owner left on the phone for you will still require that person's sign in information to update, and nothing will sync properly with two apple ID's trying to function on the same phone. The previous suggestions to restore the phone will be the least problematic solution for this.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Which is why he must restore thru iTunes if jailbroken