Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Default Is the iphone 4 still worth getting?

Hello everyone, new guy here. I am asking on behalf of a friend who is looking to get a new phone. He would prefer to get a free phone for his upgrade and was asking me about the iphone 4, now me being an Android user (please don't hate me too much), I wasn't able to really offer a ton of information other than the iphone 4 is a good device. My question is with the 4s, and the 5 now out, is it still worth getting the 4 if you want to get a free phone?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you want a free iPhone on contract yes if you want to pay 49.00 the 4s is choice the prices I am quoting are AT&T premier account

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Default Re: Is the iphone 4 still worth getting?

This is for a Sprint user. I think the 4s was listed at $99
    Last edited by lafountain; 10-22-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    iMore Expert

if 99 dollars is out of the question for him ( which is fine ) the 4 is a good device but keep in mind it will soon be out of IOS upgrades..
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

So other than not being able to use Apple Maps for turn by turn, will advise him to just download the mapquest app based on what I have read, and not being able to use Siri, are there any other things that will be unavailable?

I am pretty much his local tech support, so just wanting to have an idea of what to expect if he gets the 4.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.1.1 / 6

I recently upgraded from a 4 to a iPhone 5. I'd spend the extra to get a 4s if not getting a 5 because my 4 was so sluggish on ios6 it was unbearable.
    Check out my band DreadCircus - http://www.jadestarr.com.au
    iPhone 5 64GB / iPad mini 16GB / iPad 2 64GB / Apple TV / MacBook Pro
    Team Jailbreak!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridiculocity View Post
    I recently upgraded from a 4 to a iPhone 5. I'd spend the extra to get a 4s if not getting a 5 because my 4 was so sluggish on ios6 it was unbearable.
    I agree 100%. I did the same thing. The 4 was so sluggish I couldn't take it anymore. But that's just me. I'd go for the 4S at least if possible.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wouldn't even consider the 4 at this point -- even "free." $100 for the 4S and then another $100 at that point for the low end 5 is not much considering the actual cost of the carrier contract.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm using the 4 still as I can't find any 5's yet but I'm running iOS6 and not having any issues with it being sluggish? I have had the phone for almost 2 years now best phone I have had so far.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1/5.11

I am still rockin a 4 at this moment, but I have it on iOS 5.1.1 right now with no plans on upgrading to iOS 6. If you want the 4, see if you can get one that is still on iOS 5 for stability sake. If you can plunk down 99 bucks then go for the 4S on either iOS 5 or 6.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Thanks for the info, may point him to this thread to take a look at what has been said. Figure the 4s might be his upper limit, but he really liked the free part.
    phonejunky likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just went from a 4 to a 4S and i did notice a difference in responsiveness of the device.
    Sure its not a 5 but i dont use my iPhone that much.. But realistically the 4 is a good device, but the 4S is better. If a 5 is out of budget and a 4S is, go with the 4s.

- - - Updated - - -

I just went from a 4 to a 4S and i did notice a difference in responsiveness of the device.
    Sure its not a 5 but i dont use my iPhone that much.. But realistically the 4 is a good device, but the 4S is better. If a 5 is out of budget and a 4S is, go with the 4s.

Global Posts
    19,313 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iamsixnine View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt about it. If you can get the 4S, get it!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

If a "free" phone is what your friend wants.... you can't get better.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some people who for some strange reason, that if they're on a diet, they don't want you to eat a cupcake. If you do eat a cupcake, all they want to do is tell you that it tastes bad.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

The iPhone 4 is still a decent phone. I am still using that because I'm w-a-i-t-i-n-g for my iPhone 5 to arrive. I have iOS 6 on my 4 and I have not had any issues with it being sluggish. There are a few bugs but I think that's from the OS itself and not due to it being on the 4. It's still plenty capable! However, it's already two generations behind. While it probably will get the next round of big software updates (like the 3GS now), it is going to be unsupported very soon. I would recommend the 4S if the 5 is out of question, but if your friend needs it to be free...well, you have your answer.

- - - Updated - - -

The iPhone 4 is still a decent phone. I am still using that because I'm w-a-i-t-i-n-g for my iPhone 5 to arrive. I have iOS 6 on my 4 and I have not had any issues with it being sluggish. There are a few bugs but I think that's from the OS itself and not due to it being on the 4. It's still plenty capable! However, it's already two generations behind. While it probably will get the next round of big software updates (like the 3GS now), it is going to be unsupported very soon. I would recommend the 4S if the 5 is out of question, but if your friend needs it to be free...well, you have your answer.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

IMO a free iPhone 4 is better than no iPhone. However, if they can afford the cost of the iPhone 4s I think that is a better value.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    That's good to hear, mine should be arriving tomorrow.
    Last edited by pcgizmo2; 10-31-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Personally, spending a little more money for the 4S is no doubt well worth it. The 4 is a great phone, but it lacks in specific areas such as camera and Siri. For the $50 to $75 more you would spend, you're getting the 4S with a better camera, better chip, and Siri.

The changes that occurred between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S were substantial enough to warrant a $50 price increase.

Free is free though!
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    Personally, spending a little more money for the 4S is no doubt well worth it. The 4 is a great phone, but it lacks in specific areas such as camera and Siri. For the $50 to $75 more you would spend, you're getting the 4S with a better camera, better chip, and Siri.

The changes that occurred between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S were substantial enough to warrant a $50 price increase.

Free is free though!
    I just wasn't up for spending $100 for the 4s. I spent more than that on the Bold 9930 I'm leaving less than a year ago. Like you said free is free, and if I don't like the iphone I'm not really out much more than the stupid $30 upgrade fee.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Good choice! I came to Apple from BlackBerry and it was a good change of pace. I think if you're coming from a BlackBerry, the iPhone 4 is going to be plenty-enough. Its a good phone to learn iOS on.

Either way, good luck in whatever you chose. Welcome to the Apple family!
    tobias_i_d likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    Good choice! I came to Apple from BlackBerry and it was a good change of pace. I think if you're coming from a BlackBerry, the iPhone 4 is going to be plenty-enough. Its a good phone to learn iOS on.

Either way, good luck in whatever you chose. Welcome to the Apple family!
    Thanks, and I agree, this is probably a good device to get my feet wet with.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts

i have an iphone 4 on verizon and i honestly don't mind the 3G service or slower processor. that being said, i DO wish i had siri. i've never had it myself, but in the apple store i tested it on the 5. i loved it! but for now $300 (for the 32 gb) is too much for me. i'll prolly end up waiting until next September when the next one comes out.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Ignore the guys saying the 4 is sluggish. I still use the 4 it has almost no memory spare and has a ton of Tweeks installed and I never experience sluggishness. It's still in the top 5 smartphones ever made.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

The iPhone 4 was the first device I actually thought I could keep and use forever. Most phones lack in multiple areas, but the iPhone4 filled a lot of those gaps in. Im getting the iPhone 5 and will probably keep this device for the full two years.

Global Posts
    15,482 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I guess it comes down to money and user preference. But I would go with a 4s if I were to get another.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast