No Government Notifications?

G8trMom09

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading that iOS 6 comes with Government notifications as an option now (amber alert and emergency alert). You're supposed to go to settings > notifications and be able to turn them on. I don't see the option anywhere. I'm curious if anyone else with a 4 is having this issue? Or are these options 4S and 5 specific??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading that iOS 6 comes with Government notifications as an option now (amber alert and emergency alert). You're supposed to go to settings > notifications and be able to turn them on. I don't see the option anywhere. I'm curious if anyone else with a 4 is having this issue? Or are these options 4S and 5 specific??

It could very be a feature only for the 4S & 5. I know I have the options at the bottom of the notification settings.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking its a feature only on the 4s and 5. My wife and a few friends on Verizon with the 4s got it. Me and my other friends with the 4 on Verizon didn't get it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I found this little tidbit here

Some users also get new settings in the Notifications screen?at the bottom, grouped under Government Alerts?for enabling or disabling AMBER Alerts and Emergency Alerts. In our testing in the San Francisco Bay Area, Sprint and Verizon users see these settings, while AT&T users do not. However, the availability of these settings also appear to depend on your location: Responses to an informal poll of Twitter users indicate that Verizon users in some parts of the country get the settings, but those in other locations do not.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It depends partly on AT&T and partly on your location. It's not on the 5 with AT&T in most locations either.

sarah143music

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I have this same problem with my iPhone 4. I'm almost positive it's not just for iPhone 4S and 5 because my mom has a galaxy note 1 as it works on hers. If you figure anything out, please let me know and ill do the same. Thanks

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As many have said, this is not on every iPhone out there. Here is the AT&T page about Emergency Alerts, for example, with this info:

If you expected to receive a Wireless Emergency Alert but did not, consider the following possible scenarios:

-You do not have a WEA capable device.
-Your device is not enabled and is set to opt out of that particular alert.
-You are not in an area that was geographically targeted to receive a Wireless Emergency Alert.
-Your device was in an active voice call or data session during the time period that the Wireless Emergency Alert was broadcast.

And for further reading: Why Some AT&T Customers Aren't Getting Those Wireless Alerts About Nem - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

wonderwest

May 29, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I just got new IPhone 5s and my phone has the government alearts and my wife's doesn't. whats up with that. can i load it on her phone??

David Dutton1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a 4s AT&T and I get govt and amber alerts.. I'm in Charlotte, nc.

I think it's 4s and up only and depends on carrier AND location. So some AT&T customers get it some places and others don't

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods