Is ios 6 update advisable for iphone 4?

gunzrool

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I am excited about ios6 release on the 19th sep. however! I am wondering what would be the performance of the iphone4 with this upgrade. Would this upgrade slow down the phone drastically.

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
It should be able to handle it well enough. Although Panorama, Flyover maps and Turn by Turn navigation are lost for iPhone 4 and also FaceTime over Cellular. Other than that all functions will be the same.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It should be able to handle it well enough. Although Panorama, Flyover maps and Turn by Turn navigation are lost for iPhone 4 and also FaceTime over Cellular. Other than that all functions will be the same.

Damn I never looked into it on a 4 that's a lot of cool stuff to cut guess the wife will get a 5 in October now lol

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
IOS 6 is said to work fine on the 4 - with the caveats on certain built-in as noted above. Moreover, one hopes / expects that there won't be any issues with 3rd Party apps. Hopefully, here won't be any drag on the 4's processor to accomplish the same tasks.

Apple does have something of a reputation with new OSs (be they Mac or iOS) that the first versions usually have a negative drag on the battery - but as this is almost always a software fix they eventually getting around to addressing once the complaints come in.

And really, if all you're hoping for is Siri (still in Beta in iOS 6), it still won't work on the 4 - but apps like speaktoit can pretty much do the same thing.

gunzrool

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to IOS6 on my iphone4. I started falling in love with the phone all over again. The visual appearance has enhanced. It seems that my phone is quicker comparitively. More over the user interface feels lot more smoother. Battery life has improved with my regular usage

All of these comes with a maps that is of mo great use in india. Youtube app is not a great disappoiment as there is a local app made available.

Over all IOS6 is a must upgrade.

Rgds,
Sam

lazaruz

Nov 11, 2000
Visit site
I upgraded my wife's iPhone 4. Don't do it. I have heard nothing but complaints from my wife, and the update adds nothing good for the 4.

aaronjudze0806

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
You definitely do not get all of the features if you had the 4S or 5. I haven't had any issues with iOS 6 on my 4 or my wife's 4. Will be getting the 5 later this month when I can upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
No Siri sucks (I really want it), but otherwise, I'm liking the performance of iOS 6. That said (by me in another thread), this is a pretty vanilla update for the most part. I hope iOS 7 offers more, but by then, I'll likely have a newer iPhone.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone give a real in depth answer to this question? I am waiting to update my ip4 but will not do it until google releases their maps app because i use the current one on 5.1.1 daily.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone give a real in depth answer to this question? I am waiting to update my ip4 but will not do it until google releases their maps app because i use the current one on 5.1.1 daily.

I don't think anyone (outside of Google) can give you a definitive answer. Hopefully it will be soon. :)

GloverRacing

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Updated both my wife's and my iPhone 4 the only difference between hers and mine is the colour. I have found mine to be slow, apps keep closing down (most apps) and battery life is really bad( getting 2+hrs less per charge) but she has not had any problems.
Does anybody have an explanation for this or is it just another one of those things lol

Rob

soll82

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of mad, that there will never be siri on the 4 and that there's no 3D...what's that about??? its surely not for hardware reasons...

lazaruz

Nov 11, 2000
Visit site
I'm kind of mad, that there will never be siri on the 4 and that there's no 3D...what's that about??? its surely not for hardware reasons...

I have read that it probably is hardware related. I think there is a difference in the gpu. So while it is possible to run Siri and perhaps 3D mapping it comes with a performance loss.

Which is why I originally said there truly is no good reason to update a 4.

KneeJah77

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Updated both my wife's and my iPhone 4 the only difference between hers and mine is the colour. I have found mine to be slow, apps keep closing down (most apps) and battery life is really bad( getting 2+hrs less per charge) but she has not had any problems.
Does anybody have an explanation for this or is it just another one of those things lol

Rob

Yeah, man.. it really is just another one of THOSE things.. I thought my battery is also awful when I was reading this thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4317941?start=0&tstart=0
But than I realized that my batt is better than average usage.. Yesterday I saw that average usage is about 5 to 6 hours, and realized that I was mistaking, because minimum usage of my iPhone 4 bat (running iOS 6) is usually above 6h (with minimum of 15+h stand by)..
So, yeah.. It really is just one of THOSE  things..
I advise you to pay a visit to some App Store or any 's service store just to check it out is it ok.. good luck.

KneeJah

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I was actually debating the very same thing: to upgrade or not. I use Google Maps a LOT and since I just moved to new city, searching and finding stuff around me is at the top of my needs at the moment. However, I really need the DND feature and was wondering: is there any way for us to downgrade back to iOS 5.1 if we don't like 6? Back in the blackberry days, we used to have the OS file available and simply load that on to revert to an earlier, stable version....that even possible with iOS?

TIA!

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm holding off for now...not many reasons to upgrade and with all the debate about battery life, unstable-ness etc, it's not worth the hassle for me! And also, I used to have a BB and could downgrade if something went amiss...but I've heard not as easy. I don't use maps anyway...MapQuest does an awesome job, with turn by turn directions. I knew I never needed Siri!! lol

idlin

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Coming from iOS4 the performance actually improved a little bit. Don't know how it was on iOS5 because I never used it so I can't really say.

But the battery? This was after charging it overnight and starting my day much later than usual with it fully charged. Absolutely terrible. Getting rid of it soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1862[1].PNG
    IMG_1862[1].PNG
    92.9 KB · Views: 10

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2