Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Unhappy Is my digitizer broken?

Hey guys,

I've perused these forums but this is my first post. I fix iPhones for my friends and family and I've done 3 LCD and/or digitizer repairs. All of them have been fine but the one I've done most recently has come up with a problem that has perplexed me.

This repair was a straight up LCD/touch screen and Digitizer replacement. After replacement, I tried to turn on my phone and all I get is a black screen that you can tell has been lit up but it's simply black. In addition, there are also two little blotches of random colors (which is primarily why I think my digitizer is broken and I didn't mess up) on the left side of the screen (one is in the top left corner and the other is halfway down on the left side). On top of this, my phone has not been acknowledged by my computer but it does vibrate and I can call my phone (however I can't see who called or answer the phone - basically all I know is someone wants to get in touch with me) or text it and it plays the typical noise.

I've also tried resetting it (sleep and home together) but it doesn't respond to my attempts.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0/5.1.1

I believe so...
    Alex Nguyen
    Founder and CEO of iAppzTech, LLC and EvasionSERVERS, LLC
    Email: alex@alexn.in
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Check the connections again if you haven't already. If the phone doesn't respond it's the The LCD is bad, all the digitizer does is recognize your touching the screen. The digitizer is basically two pieces of glass stuck together by some super crazy adhesive. (One piece on the 4/4S, and 2 pieces on the 3G/3GS) The LCD controls everything that you see on the screen. I repair enough of these to know. Once again check your connections. If you replace it again then it is the 6r8 coil that controls the backlight, and I hope your soldering skills are better than average. If you need a new coil you can let me know we do that all the time, and it's not for the faint of heart. Let me know if I can be of further assistance!
    Thanked by:
    MountainJewce (09-11-2012)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

I've checked the connections a couple of times and they all seem to be connected properly. I simply was replacing a completely shattered screen and only started to have problems after the repairs had already been completed.

Additionally, do you know why my phone isn't being recognized by my computer? I need to get some pictures and sound recordings off of it (perhaps I should have gotten the pictures and sound recordings before deciding to repair my phone) because some guy is trying to fraud me in a car accident and I have proof on my phone that it was his fault.

Thanks again for the help everyone
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,830 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

If you put the old on back in does it work ?
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

I actually took apart a friend's phone since mine had been obliterated. Everything works perfectly except for some reason my computer won't recognize it. It also won't charge...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,830 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Has to be a bad dock then
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

It started after I replaced my screen. I feel like I just forgot to connect a cord or something. granted I never took out the dock, only the speaker system.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Is my digitizer broken?

did you ever figure out the problem? my iphone 4 is stuck on a black screen and i aswell can hear calls but do not know who is calling and can not answer and my computer will not recognize it.