Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default iCloude is next to useless when things like this...

Recently I took my iphone 4 out of my pocket only to realize a note file I was using had been accidentally deleted. I may have shoved the iphone in my pocket without pressing the sleep button first. Ok what ever I figured, I'll get it back from iCloud since in options I have it to also save notes there. After a few tweaking here and there, I've come to realized that as soon as my iPhone deleted the file in my pocket, my iCloud copy seem to have been deleted as well as soon as the iphone noticed the local file was gone.

So, my question is, what the hell is the point of this F.....ing icloud backup if it will delete the backup copy as soon as the local copy is gone?????

And sadly, the same thing seem to have happened when I connected my iphone to my pc, instead of itunes asking me if I want to also delete the note file on the pc that is missing on my iphone, it took it upon itself to delete the local note as well, leaving me completely stranded.

THe unfortunate thing is, I've been adding to that note file for almost two years and to have all that information gone in the blank of an eye is simply wrong.
    iPhone Newbie

11 Posts

Do you have your iPhone set to backup to iCloud? If so, you could restore your phone to your last backup, and have your note back.

There is a difference between syncing and backing up. If you performed a backup, whether via iCloud or iTunes that included those notes then, unless I'm mistaken, they should reappear when you do a restore from your last backup. Syncing maintains that all devices are the same. Delete something on one device and it will delete on the other(s). Do a restore from your last backup, if applicable, and see what happens.
    iMore Genius

5,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,046 Global Posts

Exactly--sync and backup are not the same. (By the way, I have auto-sync turned OFF in my iTunes preferences to avoid exactly this kind of situation. Worth doing if you're worried about it happening again.) If you are able to restore and get your note back I'd suggest emailing it to yourself and/or putting a copy into Dropbox.