Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default "Device Not Registered as part of iPhone Dev Program"

I purchased this phone recently. It's a iPhone 4 16GB. I went to activate my sim card and it gives me this:

"This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program

If you are a member of the program, please register your device in the iPhone Developer Portal at http://developer.apple.com/iphone/."

I don't want to be part of the program, I just want the darn thing to work! To my understanding someone tried and failed to put iOS6 on this device. When I got the phone it wasn't charging through any outlet. PC/Wall/PS3/Mac. So i assumed that the charging port on the phone was damaged. I paid and got it professionally fix and now the phone charges, but only with the wall charger.

I understand I need to restore it back to the old 5.0 firmware, but how in the hell do I do it if my PC or MAC doesn't even recognize the darn device with itunes??? Any help??

Common Questions:
    No its not the cable i tried 5 different ones.
    No its not my PC or MAC because my wife's iPhone plugs in just fine.
    No its no Apple Mobile Device software with iTunes, i checked it
    No its not the port because it was just replaced.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Have you tried DFU mode restore? Maybe it will recognize it with that. If you do t know how to DFU, just google it and many tutorials on how to.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Yeah i threw it in DFU mode and itunes still doesn't recognize it. This is just really frustrating!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by DjTechnics View Post
    Yeah i threw it in DFU mode and itunes still doesn't recognize it. This is just really frustrating!
    Ok. That was my only guess.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

maybe try using tiny umbrella?

or

Downgrade iOS 6 Beta to iOS 5.1.1

manually select the 5.1.1 IPSW and load it up while in DFU mode.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 07-26-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Veizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Gray
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black
    My CrackBerry Marketplace feedback!!
    iMore Nanite

If you do t know how to DFU, just google it and many tutorials on how to.
    iMore Nanite

If you do t know how to DFU, just google it and many tutorials on how to.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

OP did it work?
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

The person who fixed the port prob did something wrong is my guess so that it would charge
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    The person who fixed the port prob did something wrong is my guess so that it would charge
    i doubt its the port, i bet its definitely because of the dev account/beta OS has bricked it. i heard that if the phone bricks from not having a dev account, that even in DFU mode, the phone isnt going to be recognized by itunes and wont be able to be restored. i figured DFU, manually load the 5.1.1 IPSW and all will be well. but a buddy of mine that works at an apple store said the techs were talking about this the other day and said that it may not work and may be permanently bricked. anyone know for sure what would happen??
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    i doubt its the port, i bet its definitely because of the dev account/beta OS has bricked it. i heard that if the phone bricks from not having a dev account, that even in DFU mode, the phone isnt going to be recognized by itunes and wont be able to be restored. i figured DFU, manually load the 5.1.1 IPSW and all will be well. but a buddy of mine that works at an apple store said the techs were talking about this the other day and said that it may not work and may be permanently bricked. anyone know for sure what would happen??
    Unless a device is *truly* bricked. Cannot be used unless physically rebuilt, it can *always* be restore via DFU. Apple just doesnt want u to mess with betas. It is probably a USB or Computer problem. Download ios 5.1.1. Do a DFU Shift Restore to the FW

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by reahn View Post
    Unless a device is *truly* bricked. Cannot be used unless physically rebuilt, it can *always* be restore via DFU. Apple just doesnt want u to mess with betas. It is probably a USB or Computer problem. Download ios 5.1.1. Do a DFU Shift Restore to the FW

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    thats what i figured, more of a scare tactic and generic canned response to keep people from attempting the betas. i figured that if the phone prompts for a dev activation, entering DFU mode is supposed to not boot up the loader and the OS. so shouldnt there be no way for it to prevent the OS load.
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black