Duplicate, grayed out tracks

TheBiggmann

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, recently a few of the song I've downloaded have shown up duplicated and grayed out in my library on my phone. There is also a button that looks like a circle with a square inside it (like when you preview a song in itunes) that shows up after the track name. I can't for the life of me get these to go away. Anyone know why this is happening?

TheBiggmann

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Dang, I was hoping I could avoid dumping and putting all my music back on, takes forever to do. I can't get a delete button unfortunately either.

TheBiggmann

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I unchecked sync music and dumped it all. When I looked at the music on my phone after that those 8 or so songs were still there. Rechecked sync music and put it all back on, they're still there. Any other ideas? Would a screenshot help or do you guys know what I'm talking about?

Tony the Tiger

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could check the actual iTunes folder on your PC and look into the Music folder and see if the duplicate tracks are there? I actually had a problem like this except that the greyed out tracks were songs that iTunes couldn't find because I had moved them into a different folder.

nathan5a

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Try going into Settings, then Store on the phone and turn off the automatic downloads for apps and music. Then, connect the phone to Itunes and go through the music tab and uncheck the albums and artists you are trying to get rid of. Sync the phone. This should get rid of them but if it doesn't, then check those boxes again, and sync the phone. This will put them back on but they should be accessible. Then go back, uncheck them, and sync again. They should be gone.

TheBiggmann

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Big negative on that one too. Tried it multiple times. There seems to be a lot of people with this same issue who aren't finding a solution. You would think Apple would get on fixing this or offering suggestions on how to do it.

FNQMJR

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Similar issue here, but it started when I turned on iTunes match. My iPhone (under iTunes) now shows duplicates for ~60% of my tracks - they appear to be (mainly) where I've ripped a non-256 bit rate track. So one of the tracks shows AAC 256 VBR, while the next shows Matched AAC 256 kbps.

iTunes shows, say, 1500 songs and 12 Gb in my library, but the iPhone music category shows 2300 songs and 18 Gb. The phone itself now only shows the one track, but I originally had the same issue as the OP, with two tracks, one showing the 'preview' button.

I've tried completing removing music from the iPhone, but 20-30 tracks just stay. I've seen some discussion around this possibly being a 'server load' issue - match has been broken for a few days now, and I wonder if it's just taking time for things to sync through iCould?

redrobyn789

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
so i have this issue too. and i search for answers but i did not want to erase everything and start again. easiest is delete the songs from your iPhone, then put the phone in airplane mode and sync it. once in airplane mode there are no more dups.

iAppleDoYou

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey they way to get rid of them, is doing a restore, I did it to my iPad and iPhone to get rid of the duplicated grey dotted circle next to the songs. When I restored the device the greyed dotted circles next to some of the purchased songs were removed. Now you could try making a back up first, then restore as new, then restore the back up onto it, that way you get your content back. But yes that is what I have done and it got rid of them. What's annoying is that even though they show as grey dotted circles, when you look at the music app on your phone, only 1 working copy is on there, the only way to know of the greyed out circles is to view the music on the device via iTunes on the computer. But doing a restore will resolve the issue!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR