iOS 6 Screws Us

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There is a huge difference in what we see has happened to Android and what is going on with Apple. Older devices getting left behind is just a fact of life that people need to get over. (no offense to anyone here but it's true) Now the general consumer doesn't care, just look at Android and the tons of people who have an older device that is stuck a few versions behind. Do they complain or even care? Nope, they are totally clueless and their phone works just fine. It's no different with Apple. Granted if hardware for iOS was being made outside of Apple then yes, we'd see it just as bad as Android. Now if you are one of those people who do care, then you'll upgrade. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just how it works folks, plain and simple. Fact of the matter is Apple spoiled you from the very beginning upgrading older devices but I knew it wouldn't last nor did I care as I upgrade every year.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
There is a huge difference in what we see has happened to Android and what is going on with Apple. Older devices getting left behind is just a fact of life that people need to get over. (no offense to anyone here but it's true) Now the general consumer doesn't care, just look at Android and the tons of people who have an older device that is stuck a few versions behind. Do they complain or even care? Nope, they are totally clueless and their phone works just fine. It's no different with Apple. Granted if hardware for iOS was being made outside of Apple then yes, we'd see it just as bad as Android. Now if you are one of those people who do care, then you'll upgrade. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just how it works folks, plain and simple. Fact of the matter is Apple spoiled you from the very beginning upgrading older devices but I knew it wouldn't last nor did I care as I upgrade every year.

Jeremy, out of curiosity (I've actually always wondered this, but never asked)...how do you upgrade every year? Do you buy the device at the market price? From my experiences with AT&T, they aren't willing to push upgrades early.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Jeremy, out of curiosity (I've actually always wondered this, but never asked)...how do you upgrade every year? Do you buy the device at the market price? From my experiences with AT&T, they aren't willing to push upgrades early.

I can't speak for Jeremy, but I am the primary account on a 5-line family plan... spending > $250/month... AT&T gives the primary line an annual upgrade... plus, with 5 lines, we play the "upgrade shuffle". Since I'm the Dad and I pay the bills, I invoke the "Golden Rule" - the one with the gold (me) makes the rules... and we hand the phones down the line... My wife gets a new phone every 2 years (unless she wants/needs a new one more often) and we usually have at least one upgrade available at all time, plus my annual upgrade as the primary.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

AT&T always gives me the upgrade price each year. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that I've been doing it since the first iPhone or what or that I've been that lucky.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
AT&T always gives me the upgrade price each year. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that I've been doing it since the first iPhone or what or that I've been that lucky.

Well I am jealous! I've been with them for years and I still have to fight tooth and nail to get anything!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for Jeremy, but I am the primary account on a 5-line family plan... spending > $250/month... AT&T gives the primary line an annual upgrade... plus, with 5 lines, we play the "upgrade shuffle". Since I'm the Dad and I pay the bills, I invoke the "Golden Rule" - the one with the gold (me) makes the rules... and we hand the phones down the line... My wife gets a new phone every 2 years (unless she wants/needs a new one more often) and we usually have at least one upgrade available at all time, plus my annual upgrade as the primary.

Love the "golden rule"

Fraydog

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I thought AT&T went away from the yearly upgrade model. A key reason to sell the iP4 and go to the 5 is LTE. 3G networks on the whole are overloaded, especially on Verizon and AT&T. If LTE is an option for you I say take it, even if it means you have to leave AT&T to switch. Verizon will have a nationwide LTE network by June 2013. I know people still on EDGE that are going to be living in areas that will have Verizon LTE. Why stay with AT&T in that case, it's crazy.

Last edited:

T-Will

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So my girlfriend came over to the iphone from android a month or so ago (after a lot of convincing), and loves the phone.

Are you still within the period to return the iPhone 4 and pick up the 4S? She should have just gotten the 4S; it doesn't cost that much more in the big scheme of things.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you still within the period to return the iPhone 4 and pick up the 4S? She should have just gotten the 4S; it doesn't cost that much more in the big scheme of things.

Yea I told her that when we got her the phone, but for what she uses it for it just wasn't worth paying the extra 100. She loves the phone...that's all that counts! Haha.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Why did she buy an iPhone 4 and not a 4s? I say she screwed herself on that one.

It was probably a financial choice. Not everyone can pop for $200 (or more) iPhone ... and coming from the Android world, she was probably used to cheaper prices. Many decent Android devices can be had for the $99 price of the iPhone 4...

But buying older technology will always cost you something, somewhere down the line.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So my girlfriend came over to the iphone from android a month or so ago (after a lot of convincing), and loves the phone. The only thing she thought was dumb was that the iPhone didn't offer free turn-by-turn GPS (we use MapQuest). After reading about the new features in iOS 6, I ran to her to tell her the good news.....turn-by-turn is coming.

Then today, I see that the iPhone 4 is not getting this feature, and a few others. I am not too happy with this. Crappy, bottom of the barrel Android phones do turn-by-turn, voice to text, etc, well. The iPhone 4 is much more powerful than many of those, and we can't get it without jailbreaking.

I edited this post to not seem as whinny or angry. These aren't huge issues for me personally, but still are somewhat frustrating.

Screwed was 2 years ago when iOS 4 turned some people's iPhone 3G into a paper weight. At least your iPhone 4 will likely still function but with a few less features than the newest models. Digging up old threads, classic.

Last edited:

mud314

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So my girlfriend came over to the iphone from android a month or so ago (after a lot of convincing), and loves the phone. The only thing she thought was dumb was that the iPhone didn't offer free turn-by-turn GPS (we use MapQuest). After reading about the new features in iOS 6, I ran to her to tell her the good news.....turn-by-turn is coming.

Then today, I see that the iPhone 4 is not getting this feature, and a few others. I am not too happy with this. Crappy, bottom of the barrel Android phones do turn-by-turn, voice to text, etc, well. The iPhone 4 is much more powerful than many of those, and we can't get it without jailbreaking.

I edited this post to not seem as whinny or angry. These aren't huge issues for me personally, but still are somewhat frustrating.
I fully agree with you on this, my ancient old Original Droid from VZ with a paltry 800Mhz processor and pathetic RAM could do: turn by turn navigation while playing music and still doing whatever it is that Androids do in the background. Without issue.

The customer experience will not be affected if those of us using the iPhone 4 were to be granted those updates. What is affected is the bottom line for apple and its investors. Only a true fanboy would buy into the "it cannot support it without crippling the phone" BS.

I am enjoying my iPhone and in the long term it doesn't matter to me, since I am a gadget fan, all gadgets, not just apple or name your poison here. I just think it's lame of them to do this.

In the end, we are still better off than most Android users, where their updates, if they get it, typically run a year behind. Look at the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the CDMA networks, they are still waiting for JB, while all the other version are enjoying JB. There is even rumors that the S3 will have JB well before the Nexus on the CDMA networks.

While a lot of are willing to jailbreak or root our devices not everyone wants to go down that route. I think I will be sticking to iphone regardless, Android just has way too much bloatware and the idea of having to root, just to get the current update, really is not something I am interested in.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
AT&T seems to always be willing to allow early discount. I have found the beauty of having to pay for 4 phones....I can use my kids upgrades and hand down to them. I don't have expensive hobbies, but I will get the newest iPhone as a rule.

mud314

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
AT&T seems to always be willing to allow early discount. I have found the beauty of having to pay for 4 phones....I can use my kids upgrades and hand down to them. I don't have expensive hobbies, but I will get the newest iPhone as a rule.
My dad is on my family plan and I use his upgrades. He doesn't use a smartphone, so works for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2