Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Speech to text for iPhone 4

Is it possible to use speech to text on the iPhone 4. I have a 4S an there is a microphone on my keyboard. My wife has a 4 but there is no keyboard. Any help would be appreciated. .
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Evi if still in the app store will do it but you will have to open the app to do it. And it's .99
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Depends on what you want to do. Dragon Dictation and Vlingo work great. I use Vlingo for text messages and emails. You can set it up to begin as you open the app and recognize end of speech. Fewer steps than Dragon. Oh, and I use Vlingo to make calls, added bonus.
    Last edited by Drow-NIN; 05-26-2012 at 07:11 PM.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Those aren't really what I am looking for. I am really trying to add a microphone to the apple keyboard.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

If you still have iOS 5.0.1 on the iPhone 4. Jailbreak it with redsnow and use a proxy server with Spire. I have the microphone on the keyboard on my iPhone 4 but I believe you need Spire/Siri or Siri dictation to have it appear there. Otherwise your outta luck.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lornaevo View Post
    Those aren't really what I am looking for. I am really trying to add a microphone to the apple keyboard.
    I don't believe there's an official app that would do exactly that, as it would mimic the functionality of Siri, even though that isn't available for the 4.