Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Default Official AT&T unlock w/o the SIM card?

I'm in the process of trying to sell my wife's recently off contract iPhone 4, and some potential buyers wished for me to unlock the phone.

I did the AT&T chat, got approved and received the instructions that asked me to hook up the phone to iTunes, back-up and restore. The problems are two-fold: 1) I've already wiped the phone and 2) I already tossed the micro SIM card that was in the phone. When I connect the phone to iTunes, I can't get past the iTunes message that says "no SIM card found" and on the phone it stays on the "connecting to iTunes" screen.

Is there anyway around this? My current phone has a regular SIM, so I can't use that.
    iMore Genius

3,681 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,788 Global Posts

Nope. You need to get a hold of a microSIM. If you know anyone who has a microSIM enabled phone, restore it with that sim in it, no matter the GSM provider. Once iTunes issues the unlock command, take out that sim and put it back wherever/whom you got it from. Once an unlock command is issued, it's permanent. Restore it again without the sim in it.

Using someone else's microSIM will not affect their service in any way, provided it's a smartphone.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 05-25-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    iPhone Newbie

11 Posts

CAN you PM the instructions please ..; I am traveling overseas and the bas*ards at AT&T didnt give me unlock codes cuz I am still undercontract