Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Exclamation New to jailbreaking, would like some clarifications.

I am sure this is probably posted somewhere but I figured I might get a quick answer to my porblems or someone else could locate where I would need to go to find out.

I am going to get a lot of heat right now but I come from an Android/Rooting background. However my sister just received an iPhone 4 from the people she baby sits for and wants to use it on our T-Mobile service. I told her that I could probably jailbreak it and unlock it for her so she could.

I have read through a lot of guides and have a decent understanding on what will happen when I go through the process of jailbreaking. Here are my concerns though:

- the phone is running the 5.1.1 software version, this can be jailbroken by the redsnow 0.9.10b6 correct?
    - will the baseband change when I switch out the sim card to her T-mobile one? if so will i have to unlock it after?
    - if the baseband doesn't change, is the 04.12.01 unlockable?

iPhone 4
    software- 5.1.1
    using windows 7
    redsn0w 0.9.10b6

I hope I have covered everything needed for anyone willing to help me out here.

I thank all who reply in advance!
    iPhone Beginner

67 Posts

u need redsn0w 0.9.11b4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapapoop
    iMore Genius

5,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,046 Global Posts

I don't think that baseband is unlockable via a software unlock. Best bet is to simply ask AT&T to unlock it since its not on contract with them. (Assuming it isn't.)
    iMore Pro

707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyaMek18 View Post
    - will the baseband change when I switch out the sim card to her T-mobile one? if so will i have to unlock it after?
    The baseband is in the phone, not the sim card. So if you change a sim card, it doesn't change the baseband.
    iPhone Beginner

82 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

A mod should move this to the jailbreak and unlock forum. Youll get more answers there