Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default can i update my firmware without udating to the newest version 5.1.1

i'm a newbie needing help. i have an iphone 4 on the 4.3.5 firmware & would like to update it to 5.0 or 5.0.1, whichever is best i'm not sure, before i jailbreak it. is this possible without updating to the newest version just released 5.1.1...thanks for any help
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by spe413 View Post
    i'm a newbie needing help. i have an iphone 4 on the 4.3.5 firmware & would like to update it to 5.0 or 5.0.1, whichever is best i'm not sure, before i jailbreak it. is this possible without updating to the newest version just released 5.1.1...thanks for any help
    I'm afraid you can't unless you have been previosuly jailbroken on the firmware that you want to install. So for example you could upgarde to the lastest version now (5.1.1) and if you wheren't happy with it, you could downgrade back to 4.3.5 if you wanted. Are you jailbroken now, because you could jailbreak 4.3.5, but it is a tethered jailbreak. You can jailbreak 5.1.1 and have a tethered jailbreak in the same way.

Do you want 5.0 or 5.0.1 so that you can have an un-tethered jailbreak, because if you do there is no way to get to those versions of firmware without having been previously jailboken on them. The reason is because you need to fetch & save a file called an SHSH blob file which is created when jailboken on each IOS firmware version. I have my SHSH blob files saved for 4.3.5 and 5.0.1, so if I update I can go back to these at anytime. These are individual for each device under each firmware, so for example you couldn't use my SHSH blob files.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need some more help.
    Last edited by 1982ollie; 05-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Thanked by:
    spe413 (05-08-2012)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

thanks for the response much appreciated! no this phone has never been jailbroken & still running 4.3.5. I was wanting 5.0.1 because of the new features plus the convenience of the untethered jailbreak. I guess i'll just update it to 5.1.1 and go the tethered route and wait until a newer untethered version is released...can you suggest to me a link on how to or what method to use to jailbreak 5.1.1 once i've updated the firmware? and i'll probably have a some more questions on how to save the SHSH blob file and how to go back to an older version once i get that far...thanks for your time
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by spe413 View Post
    thanks for the response much appreciated! no this phone has never been jailbroken & still running 4.3.5. I was wanting 5.0.1 because of the new features plus the convenience of the untethered jailbreak. I guess i'll just update it to 5.1.1 and go the tethered route and wait until a newer untethered version is released...can you suggest to me a link on how to or what method to use to jailbreak 5.1.1 once i've updated the firmware? and i'll probably have a some more questions on how to save the SHSH blob file and how to go back to an older version once i get that far...thanks for your time
    I used to be tethered using 4.3.5 and I never had to do a tethered boot because I managed my power really well. I used to make sure that it put it on charge every night.

Ok, so you need to take the plunge and upgrade your phone to 5.1.1. Then you need to jailbreak your device using the jailbreak utility Redsn0w. Now I could go through ever step with you here, however i'm going to point you in the direction of a really good tutorial and the guy that does this site explains things really well for first time jail breakers.

Here is the link. Follow this and you will be jail broken in no time. After you have done it, take a tour around the website as it is very good and helpful.

Jailbreak 5.1.1 iOS on iPhone 4,3Gs, iPad, iPod Touch 4,3 Using Redsn0w

Any probs or if you need more advise, just shout me here again.

Good luck
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 1982ollie View Post
    I used to be tethered using 4.3.5 and I never had to do a tethered boot because I managed my power really well. I used to make sure that it put it on charge every night.

Ok, so you need to take the plunge and upgrade your phone to 5.1.1. Then you need to jailbreak your device using the jailbreak utility Redsn0w. Now I could go through ever step with you here, however i'm going to point you in the direction of a really good tutorial and the guy that does this site explains things really well for first time jail breakers.

Here is the link. Follow this and you will be jail broken in no time. After you have done it, take a tour around the website as it is very good and helpful.

Jailbreak 5.1.1 iOS on iPhone 4,3Gs, iPad, iPod Touch 4,3 Using Redsn0w

Any probs or if you need more advise, just shout me here again.

Good luck
    I followed every single step in this video... every time i get exploit failed
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Try this walkthrough/video instead: How to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with RedSn0w
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Try this walkthrough/video instead: How to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with RedSn0w
    yeah i got it to work, was an app that runs on my laptop with win 7. this is nice, will suck when i have to reboot in the field with no internet.. any good tether apps? only reason i jb anyway
    iPhone Nanite

can you suggest to me a link on how to or what method to use to jailbreak 5.1.1 once i've updated the firmware?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by liuhua117 View Post
    Click to view quoted image
    can you suggest to me a link on how to or what method to use to jailbreak 5.1.1 once i've updated the firmware?
    Jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1, 5.1, and 5.1.1 - JailbreakQA

one step not mentioned here is if you are running windows 7 check to see if you have media espresso turned off on your laptop(not sure if its on all win 7 machines our just gateway)