Otterbox Fail... phone shattered, w/ pics

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Side note: if it's bent that much, I'd be awfully careful about charging the battery. If that's damaged too it could be dangerous.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I think my title was a bit exaggerated. My friend had the Otterbox defender on the device since day one, and has obviously dropped the phone a few times (not sure how many or how badly). The phone was working perfectly, screen didn't have a scratch on it before the drop. I'm assuming the frame may have been bent from before and he just didn't know it because the case was never taken off. He must have just hit a 'sweet spot' perfectly when the phone fell and it caused the massive amount of damage.

The otterbox was also broken and cracked.

IF his phone was bent & he didnt know it while it was in the OB defender, then that 4ft fall to a tile floor could've cause his screen to shatter. Basically, the bend in the phone gave it just that teeny tiny bit of wiggle room in the defender enough that when it fell, it smashed.

Now, what i wonder is how on earth with the phone being bent did your friend not realize it was not sitting in the defender properly. I dont believe this drop caused his phone to bend like that at all. Even if he did drop his phone prior, rule of thumb - you should ALWAYS remove your phone from the case and overall inspect each item before replacing the case to insure it is in the best condition to try to protect your phone as well as its made to do. He may have damaged the case in a different drop causing it to not hold up for this drop.

its unfortunate to see something like this really, but hopefully with insurance he'll be able to get it replaced, as well as getting himself a new OB defender to start off fresh:)

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Given the force required to bend a steel case, this phone had obviously undergone much, much more stress than a 4' drop. You cannot seriously blame this on a case. I could see a hammer blow bending a steel case (or being bent in a vice), but not a drop.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I think my title was a bit exaggerated. My friend had the Otterbox defender on the device since day one, and has obviously dropped the phone a few times (not sure how many or how badly). The phone was working perfectly, screen didn't have a scratch on it before the drop. I'm assuming the frame may have been bent from before and he just didn't know it because the case was never taken off. He must have just hit a 'sweet spot' perfectly when the phone fell and it caused the massive amount of damage.

The otterbox was also broken and cracked.

that should be a key factor right there, i have used many otterbox cases and dropped phones,they don't crack or break from dropping them. that is the point of the otterbox. This device was obviously run over by a vehicle.

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the phones owner didn't fall four feet as well and the phone heroically broke his fall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the phones owner didn't fall four feet as well and the phone heroically broke his fall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

This is more believable with the phone being bent makes it hard to believe that that was just a 4 foot drop in a otter box case.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
The last time I saw a damage like that, the person sat on the sidewalk with the phone in a back pocket. Maybe his friend is not telling him the real story.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a car ran over it.... A 4 ft drop wouldn't damage it that much. Damage to the case would also reflect a much more serious type of drop. I am sticking with the car theory.

johny2shoes

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was recently involved in a bad RTA my iPhone 4s was in an Otterbox Defender case, my car was written off as it was really mangled, my iPhone on the other hand was bounced around the car and was fine, only a nick on one of the corners of the Otterbox. So I can't see how a small drop like this can cause so much damage?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There's no way a 4 ft drop rendered these results with a case on it. I smell BS. Which otter box did he have? Commuter or Defender?

scottdennis

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Reality Check. . .

I had an Otterbox on my blackberry and laid my motorcycle down and slid 50 feet ON MY PHONE!!! Not a scratch to the phone, though the OB was a little scuffed up.

Needless to say I did not walk out of the store with my iPhone without first placing it IN the new Otterbox I purchased with it. Since then I have dropped my iPhone on concrete floors at my job (I work in manufacturing in a completely filthy environment) and my phone hasn't as much as a scratch or blemish AND the OB keeps it clean too. I just have to wipe down the OB regularly.

My point is. . .after laying my bike down and sliding on my phone and seeing how well my OB protects my phone at work. . .this original post is more full of crap than a turkey!! (my $.02)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2