Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Engire View Post
    I wonder if the phones owner didn't fall four feet as well and the phone heroically broke his fall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    This is more believable with the phone being bent makes it hard to believe that that was just a 4 foot drop in a otter box case.
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iPhone Intermediate

The last time I saw a damage like that, the person sat on the sidewalk with the phone in a back pocket. Maybe his friend is not telling him the real story.
    iMore Intermediate

Looks like a car ran over it.... A 4 ft drop wouldn't damage it that much. Damage to the case would also reflect a much more serious type of drop. I am sticking with the car theory.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

4 foot drop from a vehicle on the highway, then ran over a few times.... sounds more like what may have caused this.
    iPhone Newbie

That bend is IMPOSSIBLE to be the result of a 4 foot drop..I'm sorry.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Appletitude View Post
    That bend is IMPOSSIBLE to be the result of a 4 foot drop..I'm sorry.
    That has already been determined, the OP has since disappeared
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I was recently involved in a bad RTA my iPhone 4s was in an Otterbox Defender case, my car was written off as it was really mangled, my iPhone on the other hand was bounced around the car and was fine, only a nick on one of the corners of the Otterbox. So I can't see how a small drop like this can cause so much damage?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

There's no way a 4 ft drop rendered these results with a case on it. I smell BS. Which otter box did he have? Commuter or Defender?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Note to self: Never drop your phone, or else its done for.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,526 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    That has already been determined, the OP has since disappeared
    He's still posting about it on Crackberry and I still don't buy it. He posted pics of the case too.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    Former BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Desire Z, back to Galaxy S, iPhone 4 White 16GB, BB Bold 9900 White (sold), back to iPhone 4, SGS3 Pebble Blue, SGS3 Garnet Red, BlackBerry Z10 White, 16Gb iPhone 5 White
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    He's still posting about it on Crackberry and I still don't buy it. He posted pics of the case too.

Tapatalk
    He's also posting about it on MacRumors forums

Sent from my White iPhone 4 16GB using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4 16 GB White iOS 5.1.1 w/ Carbon Fiber Phantom Skinz
    iPad 1st Gen 16 GB iOS 5.1.1 w/Brookstone keyboard case
    iPhone Nanite

Default Reality Check. . .

I had an Otterbox on my blackberry and laid my motorcycle down and slid 50 feet ON MY PHONE!!! Not a scratch to the phone, though the OB was a little scuffed up.

Needless to say I did not walk out of the store with my iPhone without first placing it IN the new Otterbox I purchased with it. Since then I have dropped my iPhone on concrete floors at my job (I work in manufacturing in a completely filthy environment) and my phone hasn't as much as a scratch or blemish AND the OB keeps it clean too. I just have to wipe down the OB regularly.

My point is. . .after laying my bike down and sliding on my phone and seeing how well my OB protects my phone at work. . .this original post is more full of crap than a turkey!! (my $.02)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post

Tapatalk
    you will have to link me to it lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,526 Global Posts
    iOS Version

you will have to link me to it lol
    Ask and ye shall receive:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...iphone-717104/
    Former BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Desire Z, back to Galaxy S, iPhone 4 White 16GB, BB Bold 9900 White (sold), back to iPhone 4, SGS3 Pebble Blue, SGS3 Garnet Red, BlackBerry Z10 White, 16Gb iPhone 5 White
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    iOS Version

yeah i still call bs on the whole dropping it. but wont post anything there as i don't need anymore heat there
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pdelong View Post
    This has nothing to do with Otterbox. The phone is literally bent, a drop didn't do this, end of story. An otterbox can't protect the phone from being run over or some other form of massive trauma, which I promise you is what actually happened.

The Otterbox Defender also fits too snugly for some magical incident to have bent the phone inside of it with no noticeable damage to the case.

A lie is being spun for us. I hope this isn't some test story that they plan to throw at Otterbox hoping they'll toss them a new phone, which OB has been known to do from time to time. They're generous, but they aren't stupid. The bent phone and the degree to which the glass is shattered scream that we aren't being told the truth.
    I didn't want to say that this is the fault of Otterbox. It's just no good advertisement for them, although it looks like the phone display was cracked before.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Otterbox Fail... phone shattered, w/ pics

Do you still have the otter box? If so can you take pics of the front, back and the damage. Also if you could write the name and date next to the damage on the otter box case?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default Otterbox Fail... phone shattered, w/ pics

I'm calling bs no way a phone in a otterbox took that much damage from a 4 foot drop ... A hammer yes a 4 foot drop no way

Global Posts
    22,224 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I'm calling bs no way a phone in a otterbox took that much damage from a 4 foot drop ... A hammer yes a 4 foot drop no way
    I'm not so sure. My wife's 4S was encased in an Otterbox and her phone's display was shattered quite a bit (not to the extent of the OP) when it merely slipped off of her lap onto the floor. She was not a happy camper, to say the least.......Anyway, I suppose it depends on the angle upon impact.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I'm not so sure. My wife's 4S was encased in an Otterbox and her phone's display was shattered quite a bit (not to the extent of the OP) when it merely slipped off of her lap onto the floor. She was not a happy camper, to say the least.......Anyway, I suppose it depends on the angle upon impact.
    Wow that's crazy .. But not a bent frame at-least ... My two year old uses a iphone 4 I had repaired front and back on it for movies and i put it in a otterbox and she will be her age get mad or whatever and throw it and it has yet to even have a mark on it

Global Posts
    22,224 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Wow that's crazy .. But not a bent frame at-least ... My two year old uses a iphone 4 I had repaired front and back on it for movies and i put it in a otterbox and she will be her age get mad or whatever and throw it and it has yet to even have a mark on it
    No. My wife's display was the only casualty. The frame was not bent or anything like that and her phone is still operable. She has yet to take it to be replaced. If it had been mine, it would have been replaced already...lol...Anyway, I hope your case continues to protect your device, my friend. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    No. My wife's display was the only casualty. The frame was not bent or anything like that and her phone is still operable. She has yet to take it to be replaced. If it had been mine, it would have been replaced already...lol...Anyway, I hope your case continues to protect your device, my friend. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day...
    If it doesn't ill just repair it again lol
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts

I am guessing the OP was used to sitting on it thinking it was invincible. That would cause the bend AND weaken the protection of the frame and case enough to cause the glass to shatter. The case may have made it look like the frame was not bent, until the accident and it was taken out...

EDIT: Have have seen the screens crack from less though. Not to that extent...
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    although it is very unfortunate this happened, there's no way i would blame a case for failing. this is a perfect example of anything that could go perfectly wrong, did

fyi: i've known people who have dropped their 4's or 4S from about 3' to 4' up and ended up with minor scratches only (without a case)
    I dropped my BB Curve off of my mattress which was on the floor and it shattered the screen. It happens.

I'm with everyone else though - that phone was not just dropped unless it was dropped from the top of Mt. Rushmore.

that should be a key factor right there, i have used many otterbox cases and dropped phones,they don't crack or break from dropping them. that is the point of the otterbox. This device was obviously run over by a vehicle.
    Or a tank...
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

I had almost the same thing happen with my 4s, but mine was dropped off of my 10 foot deck onto cement. I took it out of the defender and the back glass was shattered and the phone was slightly bent. Not as much as the OP, but enough that I couldn't just replace the glass. I'm not agreeing that a 4ft drop would do what he said, but the 10ft one sure did.

- - - Updated - - -

I had almost the same thing happen with my 4s, but mine was dropped off of my 10 foot deck onto cement. I took it out of the defender and the back glass was shattered and the phone was slightly bent. Not as much as the OP, but enough that I couldn't just replace the glass. I'm not agreeing that a 4ft drop would do what he said, but the 10ft one sure did.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast